Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 205

Thread: Verizon 2G shut down by 12-31-2019

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    779
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizon 2G shut down by 12-31-2019


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    493
    Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes, finally....in 3.5 years! Lol

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago/Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    4,233
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wow that's very aggressive! Expected EVDO to be all gone by then but not 1x. My guess is the equipment is so old now that it can't provide reliable service any longer after that point. (It's already getting bad in places).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,553
    Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizon 2G shut down by 12-31-2019

    so Verizon has 3.5 years to fix its Swiss cheese LTE.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,996
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    so Verizon has 3.5 years to fix its Swiss cheese LTE
    Huh? Swiss cheese?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    9,801
    Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    0
    Probably referring to VoLTE still doesn't cover every call, and that the 1x overlay is not complete.

    Personally I think 2019 to phase out 1x is highly unlikely. That is probably the dead date for IoT customers that rely on CDMA, before dismantlement begins in some markets saturated with LTE and VoLTE.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,330
    Feedback Score
    0
    Verizon should keep a 5x5 carrier on 1x. It's too reliable of a network to completely shut down. I'm just skeptical that their Vollte network will as reliable as their legacy 1x.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,330
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    so Verizon has 3.5 years to fix its Swiss cheese LTE.
    They are rolling full steam ahead with density here near NYC. Hopefully they do it everywhere for VoLTE to be as reliable as 1x.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,553
    Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    Huh? Swiss cheese?
    It is a metaphor. Still plenty of places my phone falls back to 1x/EV-DO.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    779
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    Probably referring to VoLTE still doesn't cover every call, and that the 1x overlay is not complete.

    Personally I think 2019 to phase out 1x is highly unlikely. That is probably the dead date for IoT customers that rely on CDMA, before dismantlement begins in some markets saturated with LTE and VoLTE.
    You clearly didn't read the article.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    779
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Verizon should keep a 5x5 carrier on 1x. It's too reliable of a network to completely shut down. I'm just skeptical that their Vollte network will as reliable as their legacy 1x.
    So you don't think they can have this sorted out in 3 1/2 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    It is a metaphor. Still plenty of places my phone falls back to 1x/EV-DO.
    You do get that this spectrum will be used for LTE don't you? Band 5 specifically. I'm pretty sure with band 2,4,5 and 13 as well as band 66 and whatever band 600 MHz is VoLTE will be fine.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,553
    Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    0
    The problem is tower density and the smaller range of LTE. With enough spending, VZW can fix it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    14,553
    Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    I wonder what they plan to do with 2.5x2.5 MHz that gets left over when you run 10x10 LTE on band 5?
    Donald Newcomb

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    779
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I wonder what they plan to do with 2.5x2.5 MHz that gets left over when you run 10x10 LTE on band 5?
    That probably will be for the the b2b devices that still use CDMA. And Verizon can still use that for several more years.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    779
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    The problem is tower density and the smaller range of LTE. With enough spending, VZW can fix it.
    Verizon is already doing that with the small cells they are deploying

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. EliteTorrents.org shut down by Feds!
    By cmc0 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 03:32 PM
  2. 6340i shuts down by itself
    By Consultant in forum Nokia
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-20-2004, 05:05 PM
  3. HELP!! SL55 shuts down by itself
    By chi641 in forum Siemens
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 10:10 PM
  4. LG VX6000 Shutting down by itself
    By spinningfree in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-16-2003, 08:45 PM
  5. p7689 shut down by itself
    By kiko in forum Motorola
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2002, 03:33 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks