Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Thread: Verizon 2G shut down by 12-31-2019

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    US Cellular already has a VoLTE roaming agreement with T-Mobile (and last I heard, 2 others). They must be waiting until they have more of their own VoLTE working, before they implement it.
    They have an agreement but it only works in a few markets. USCC is way behind on delivering on this agreement.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    US Cellular already has a VoLTE roaming agreement with T-Mobile (and last I heard, 2 others). They must be waiting until they have more of their own VoLTE working, before they implement it.
    Oh they do. I guess that will help when Verizon and Sprint shut down CDMA but until my phone gets VOLTE support(seriously the S7 and Note 8 is on the list of supported devices but not the S8 which I have) and get VOLTE in my area which is on the requirements list at least for now and can probsbly take some time because there are plenty of areas around me that even though the coverage maps say otherwise only get EVDO and CDMA so they would be sacrificing tons of reliability and T-Mobile better reach that end of year map on their website or at least have it in a couple years or I will be losing half the coverage in my state unless they do end up with a deal with Verizon or Sprint.

Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    Verizon isn't making it easy for those customers to transition to VoLTE flip phones, because they won't allow those devices on the basic 700 minute plan without data.

I can see why people want flip phones. Heck, I have a very intelligent friend about my age (late 20's) who just swapped back to an AT&T flip phone for his personal line to step away from the social media scene and focus on work and school. Pretty smart guy actually, may do some of us good to just disconnect for a while.
    There is no reason to have a flip phone on postpaid. There are cheap SIM cards at Wal-Mart that will work fine for basic cell connectivity on a flip phone. Verizon is probably getting down to the most anti-smartphone users at this point who still don't have smartphones, so they do need a path for those folks to continue to massively over-pay for their cellphone service and make Verizon money.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 3 (with FM Radio), LG Phoenix 2, iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Verizon has shutdown 3 of it's 5 CDMA carriers in our town. And only has 4 towers that have CDMA serve our town. The tower in town only has LTE Band 13 and 4. There is a tower Southwest of town that has Band 13 and 4 LTE and 850 CDMA. There is also another tower North of town in a Neighboring town that has the same LTE and CDMA bands. Also East of town is two towers that have LTE and CDMA.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    There is no reason to have a flip phone on postpaid. There are cheap SIM cards at Wal-Mart that will work fine for basic cell connectivity on a flip phone. Verizon is probably getting down to the most anti-smartphone users at this point who still don't have smartphones, so they do need a path for those folks to continue to massively over-pay for their cellphone service and make Verizon money.
    You be shocked how many people I hear in the local Verizon store “I’m just looking for a flip phone”. Ugh. Why. 2018. But to each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post
    You be shocked how many people I hear in the local Verizon store “I’m just looking for a flip phone”. Ugh. Why. 2018. But to each his own.

Jerry Jones owner of the Dallas Cowboys has been seen during the games talking on his flip phone. The TV announcers seemed surprised he was using a flip phone.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post

My 85 year old father in law is happy with his flip phone and only uses voice, but he is on AT&T prepaid. He puts in $100 per year, and that is enough for his use.

It's hard to imagine paying for VZW postpaid for a voice-only plan.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    My 85 year old father in law is happy with his flip phone and only uses voice, but he is on AT&T prepaid. He puts in $100 per year, and that is enough for his use.

It's hard to imagine paying for VZW postpaid for a voice-only plan.
    That’s what I’m saying -$100 a year plan is great for certain use cases if you can get it. I hear people singing up for $30/month flip phone plans like 🤷🏼*♂️🤦🏻*♂️....whyyyy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tsalisbury0 View Post
    Verizon has shutdown 3 of it's 5 CDMA carriers in our town. And only has 4 towers that have CDMA serve our town.
    Did they leave one 1x and one EVDO carrier or both are 1x and EVDO is gone?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 3 (with FM Radio), LG Phoenix 2, iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jack4 View Post
    Did they leave one 1x and one EVDO carrier or both are 1x and EVDO is gone?
    Only 4 other towers that serve our town have 1x and EVDO on them. The one in our town has one sector of 1x and EVDO and it's facing Southwest towards a major Junction. The other Two only have LTE on them.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14