Thread: Retention Department?

Feedback Score

Question Retention Department?

I have been a loyal T-Mobile USA customer for about fifteen years now.

One used to be able to get a better deal on a subsidized phone by calling T-Mo, saying you wish to cancel your service, which connects you to the Retention Department, who might give you a better deal on a new subsideized phone or plan price for your contract renewal.

Of course things have changed a lot now, with no contracts, and no subsidized phones.

Does the company still have a retention department? One would think that they would still want to keep a long-time customer like me.

Has anyone been able to get any kind of special deal through calling and saying you want to cancel? Perhaps even a phone subsidy?

I have noticed one kind of phone subsidy, in a special promotion they have now. To give you a free Samsung On5 or J7 phone in exchange for adding a new data line, which you have to keep a couple years. . (The phone depends on how much data you buy on the new line.) (Sounds a lot like a phone subsidy for contract.) Well, I have a data plan with T-Mo, but only one line (I am single), and would not add another data line, which in the two years would cost a lot more than the price of the phone. So officially I don't qualify. But if I called and threatened to cancel, and tried to negotiate getting that free phone without adding a new line (but agreeing to keep my current plan for two years more), might that work?

Once again, has anyone reading been able to get ANYTHING from the retentions department since TMo dropped contracts and subsidized phones?

Feedback Score
    I think in the era of no-contracts the idea of a "retention offer" doesn't really have a place. It's a relic of the contract era. Today there really is no loyalty on either side past 30 days. You are free and the company is free to change the terms and rates. Although T-Mobile does state that it will honor a rate for up to two years. My guess is that they will honor a rate plan even beyond that as long as you remain a continuous customer. Once you leave, however, if you come back you will be a "new" customer.

Feedback Score
    One would think they would want to retain long-time customers though.
    i

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    None of the carriers care about keeping individual customers. At least not enough to justify giving one a deal. Once word gets out that you can strong-arm them into a deal, EVERYbody starts looking for deals. Costs too much. Easier to just say 'No' and look to make it up by attracting new ones with all this "un-carrier" nonsense.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    LOL at "Loyal" customer. The era of entitlement.

In this day there is no point in being a "loyal" customer to any company. You are paying them.

The best thing they are doing to reward you is offer some of the most competitive prices, and they are offering it to everyone which benefits all customers.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S II, Nokia 7510, Samsung Comeback
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I've been with T-Mobile since 2005, and the Uncarrier era seems to be all about new customers. I wish they would do something special for customers who have been with them for a long time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maiki View Post
    One would think they would want to retain long-time customers though.
    i
    Keep a customer who's probably still using a dummy phone and looking for a retention department that doesn't exist so he can threaten to leave them if they don't lower their bills or give him some kind of discount?

No they don't want to keep such a customer!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Retention has the ability to lower your base plan rate and data rate. They can also give x number of dollars off for x number of months. To my knowledge I have not read anything in a long time about free phones. What are you currently paying right now?

Feedback Score
    Email John Legere and wait for someone from executive to call you. Explain your situation and ask if anything is possible.

Source: my experience with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk