Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Free Phone Promotion--Galaxy J7

Feedback Score

Question Free Phone Promotion--Galaxy J7

As I have been having some problems with my T-Mo Galaxy S4 lately, I have been looking at new phones to buy. (Thank you to those who replied to my question about that, and T-Mo compatibility.)

Well. now I will get a very compatible phone, from T-Mo.

Probably not one I would have chosen otherwise, but it looks like I am getting it for almost free. The Samsung Galaxy J7.

Anyone else done this promotion?

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-a...ummer-deal.htm

Actually, I thought I would not qualify for it, as it looks like one has to add a new data line for it. I already have a data plan, but am single, not adding any new lines or service, do not want to add anything. But I thought I would call and try. The rep said I qualify, and processed me for it, due to my current data plan. She said no need to add.

I hope I am not charged for it. The way they do it is rather strange. Well, I will certainly be charged tax and shipping for it, about $30 total. Low price to get that phone though. But I find it a little strange--if you are going to give a customer a free phone, why not make it completely free-why charge him for shipping and tax

But also, I will be billed $10 per month for two years on an installment plan to pay for the phone. But she said I will be credited for that amount every month, so I will not really have to pay it. Strange, no? Why not just make it free up front? In fact, i had to digitally sign a finance agreement agreeing to pay that $10 for two years, and nothing in that written agreement about the credit I am supposed to get back for that amount. I mentioned that to her--why is the credit not in the agreement? She said I had to take her word for it, and that she would check each month to make sure I get the credit. (That is hard to believe. And she had an Indian accent, so I think might even be in India. She will personally check my bill each month?) Why is the credit not in the agreement I signed? Nothing in the paperwork about it.

So I am hoping that I will not get charged for the phone, other than the tax and shipping. Has anyone reading had experience with such a promotion, and did it work as promised, a credit each month for the extra amount billed? (Sure seems a weird way to do it.)

Besides that, anyone have any input on that phone model? Anyone here have one? As said, it likely would not have been the one I would choose to buy, but for $30 a good deal, and it looks pretty good. Would like to hear actual experiences with it though.

Although my current phone (Galaxy S4) was a top of the line model when bought in 2013, and the J7 is a more budget model, with three years of improved technology, later version of Android, etc., I assume the J7 will feel like an upgrade over the S4, correct? (Certainly a larger screen,.) Any disadvantages to it? Good accessories for it

Also, I am wondering-- since both are Samsung, is there an easy way to transfer my apps, settings, home screens, etc. from the S4 to the J7, without having to download all the apps over again, re-set the settings and recreate the home screens (including folders), etc. (As I have a Microsoft Exchange account through work, contacts, e-mails , etc,. not a problem, synced with the Exchange account.) (Although transferring the account settings from one phone to the other, without having to enter them again, would save time) Any input on that could be helpful.

So three different areas of questioning here--any input into how the promotion will work with the credit, etc., inpout into the phone itself, and about transferring data, apps, settings, from the S4 to the J7.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. :-)

Feedback Score
    The j7 is wider than the s4 by quite a lot. But other than that it looks like an improvement.

Sent from my LG K10 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max, Apple iPhone Xs Max, Apple iPhone X, Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    From what I understand about the new promotion is that it is financed over 24 months with T-Mobile giving you credit each month for the financed amount. If you cancel T-Mobile before the 24 months then you will be required to pay the remaining balance.

I have never used a J7 but you should notice is better reception inside buildings due to band 12 for LTE, better voice quality with VOLTE, and faster LTE access since J7 is a Cat. 4 device 150/50 compared to cat 3 100/50 of s4.

If you have a Google account set up on your s4 when you setup the J7 you will be prompted to restore on the J7

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maiki View Post
    But I find it a little strange--if you are going to give a customer a free phone, why not make it completely free-why charge him for shipping and tax
    The state you lived in determined that they want sales tax on the full retail price of the device and not what you actually pay. These laws were passed when subsidized devices were common---states didn't care about the subsidy---they wanted their money. So T-Mobile is just following the law. As for shipping---they are paying to ship the device to you, right?

Why not just make it free up front?
    If they made it free up front, you could just cancel the service and walk away with the phone. This way if you cancel before the two years are up, you owe them for the balance of the phone that has not been reduced by the monthly credit. That's why they do it this way.

Feedback Score
    The screen on the s4 is better, the cameras on the s4 will be better to, basically the advantages of the j7 are newer software and a more up to date soc along with band 12 capabilities. A more up to date soc doesn't overly mean more powerful though. I dunno, unless you desperately need band 12 coverage to me the s4 is still the better device. The T-Mobile version especially has a ton of Roms for it to make the software more up to date. They even have s7 edge Roms ported over to it. Most of the development for the international s4 will work just fine on the T-Mobile variant and there is a ton of development for it.

What's funny about this promotion though is honestly....what's the difference between this and a 2 year phone subsidy contract? Not a thing.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorio102 View Post
    The screen on the s4 is better, the cameras on the s4 will be better to, basically the advantages of the j7 are newer software and a more up to date soc along with band 12 capabilities. A more up to date soc doesn't overly mean more powerful though. I dunno, unless you desperately need band 12 coverage to me the s4 is still the better device. The T-Mobile version especially has a ton of Roms for it to make the software more up to date. They even have s7 edge Roms ported over to it. Most of the development for the international s4 will work just fine on the T-Mobile variant and there is a ton of development for it.

What's funny about this promotion though is honestly....what's the difference between this and a 2 year phone subsidy contract? Not a thing.
    I wouldnt get a phone for T-Mobile without Band 12.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Yes, of course I have a Google Play account on the S4, necessary to download apps from the Play store.

Still, it would take a long time to re-download all the apps. set the settings for them (and for the phone), my e-mail accounts, etc. That is why I wondered if there might be an easier way to transfer?

Quote Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post
    From what I understand about the new promotion is that it is financed over 24 months with T-Mobile giving you credit each month for the financed amount. If you cancel T-Mobile before the 24 months then you will be required to pay the remaining balance.

I have never used a J7 but you should notice is better reception inside buildings due to band 12 for LTE, better voice quality with VOLTE, and faster LTE access since J7 is a Cat. 4 device 150/50 compared to cat 3 100/50 of s4.

If you have a Google account set up on your s4 when you setup the J7 you will be prompted to restore on the J7

Feedback Score
    The screen on the J7 is super amoled. Did they use that in 2013, when I got the S4?

Feedback Score
    The screen on the J7 is super amoled. Did they use that in 2013, when I got the S4?
    Yes. The s4 has a 1080p super AMOLED display with a p.p.i of I believe 441 ish? The display on the j7 is a 720p super AMOLED display with a p.p.i. of around 260ish. The s4 display is much sharper and just is a much better display. The display of the j7 will be about the same as the display on the note 2. They both had the same display specs. Samsung has used AMOLED displays for a while. The original galaxy line featured an AMOLED display. Was only 480p resolution but was an AMOLED display.

If you keep the s4 bone stock the j7 will probably run a little better, because of the newer software on it. The new TouchWiz is less bloated plus marshmallow is a pretty smooth o.s. on its own. But rooted with an s7 or s6 rom on the s4 the s4 will be the better performing device. It all comes down to how bad you need band 12 support. If you need it right now and are ok with basically signing a 2 year deal with tmobile which is basically what this is, the j7 isn't terrible, but to me the s4 is the better overall device. It's just it lacks band 12 support and that can be a big deal to some. If it had band 12 support to me it wouldn't even be close which one I'd choose.

Feedback Score
    See my previous replies as well. Have you tried the J7, Gregorio102? If not, have you seen the specs of it at: http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/...galaxy-j7.html You still think mostly not as good as the S4? (besides band 12, etc.)

You are correct, that it is similar to a contract.

Feedback Score
    See my previous replies as well. Have you tried the J7, Gregorio102? If not, have you seen the specs of it at: http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/...galaxy-j7.html You still think mostly not as good as the S4? (besides band 12, etc.)

You are correct, that it is similar to a contract.
    I have used a j7. I usually mess around with all the Samsung devices at one time or another. I do personally think the s4 is the better device. The screen on the j7 is honestly just eh, the screen on the s4 is much sharper, the front camera on the j7 while a higher megapixel count than what's offered on the s4 is just fuzzy as crap, the s4 front camera takes better shots, the rear camera on the j7 is ok, it's not terrible but again the sensor on the s4 is just better. Even though the j7 has a newer chipset again that doesn't always mean more powerful, the snapdragon 600 just has more horsepower than the exynos 7580, to me I'd choose the s4. The j7 is almost a rebranded note 2 honestly. The s4 is the better overall device. The j7 isn't terrible by any means, but it is what it is, a midrange device. But again the big kicker is band 12. If you need it or think you will need it anytime soon, the s4 doesn't have it.

If your s4 is bone stock and you got a j7 you would probably notice that the j7 runs a little smoother. But rooting the s4 is easy and there are a ton of Roms for it to bring the software up to date on it. With the same software on it the s4 runs a little better. It really all comes down to what you personally need or do with your phone. If you are not into rooting and need band 12 support the j7 is fine.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

You have the 10 GB data plan?

I saw this promo and thought it was too good to be true- a free mid-range (J7) phone for existing customers. The fine print says this:

"...Qualifying credit, new finance agreements, postpaid service of 6GB+ (for On5) or 10 GB+ (J7) on all lines required..."

So I take it you have a 10 GB data plan in order to qualify?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    It is a larger screen size 5.5". With a larger screen one would expect larger width as well as length.

I wanted a larger screen than on my S4, so that is not a drawback.

Or do you mean it is thicker?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenghost2212 View Post
    The j7 is wider than the s4 by quite a lot. But other than that it looks like an improvement.

Sent from my LG K10 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    It is a larger screen size 5.5". With a larger screen one would expect larger width as well as length.

I wanted a larger screen than on my S4, so that is not a drawback.

Or do you mean it is thicker?
    Its not thicker no. The best way to describe how a j7 feels in the hand is it almost feels identical to holding a note 2. If you ever held a note 2 the j7 is almost the same thing. Actually like i said the j7 is basically a rebranded note 2 without the stylus and with modern software and a slighty better soc in it.
    Comparing it to the s4 it has some pros, it has a larger screen, but with a lower resolution so it will not be as sharp as the s4 screen. It runs more modern software. This can be fixxed on the s4 though with rooting if thats something you are comfortable doing, it has a newer soc, again though newer doesnt mean more powerful, the s.d. 600 with its 4 krait cores at 1.9 ghz has more horsepower than the exynos chip in the j7, it has band 12 capabilities, this there is nothing you can do with for the s4, it will never have this, the battery life is better on the j7, due to a lower resolution display, newer software, and a less power hungry chipset along with just a bigger battery.

The advantages of the s4 over the j7 are, a better display. Its much sharper and just looks better overall. When it came out it was one of the best displays of its time and still to this day is one of the better 1080p displays out there, much more customizable, again there is a TON of development for this device. Better cameras, the camera sensors in the s4 are better than what the j7 offers, a more powerful chipset, again the S.D. 600 just is a beefier processor. So really it comes down to what is important to you in those lists. You wont dislike the j7 i dont think, but im not sure you will see it as an upgrade over the s4 unless you really need band 12 or are keeping your s4 bone stock.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    unless you really need band 12
    They do, most of the US population is now covered by it, and more land and population is being covered all the time.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast