Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: $15 - 3GB LTE data-only plan

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by will888 View Post
    None that I have ever found. The second slot pretty much only works with talk plans from Rogers and affiliates.
    The 1+3 allows two 3G SIMS for voice but slot two cannot use data.
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Device(s)
    950XL
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers (cell), Fido (data)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
    Not according to this:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/m...f-82aa10f85946

2nd slot is 2G only as with all Qualcomm chips. Not to mention its still DSDS not DSDA (like the Intel based Zefone, which has 2 radios, but the 2nd one is still 2G only).
    Actually to clarify, both slots can do 4g, but only one at a time. Whatever slot you have chosen for 4G then the other slot is 2G. I run a 950XL and did the Rogers/Telus combo for a bit there.

This fido plan plus switching to voip.ms seems like a very attractive idea to me.
    Microsoft Lumia 950XL Dual Sim
    Rogers talk text only, Fido 3gb/$15 tab plan

Feedback Score
    [hopefully this entices wind to bring back the 1 gig for $10 package. I'd get that plan on a moment's notice if i could. I believe it would essentially be free if you had 2 lines already thanks to multi line discount?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgphone View Post
    [hopefully this entices wind to bring back the 1 gig for $10 package. I'd get that plan on a moment's notice if i could. I believe it would essentially be free if you had 2 lines already thanks to multi line discount?
    Based on the old BTS scheme, actually a 1 gig line is literally free if it is the third line added. The first line in an account had no discounts. The second line yielded a $5 discount. The third line brings a discount of $10. Subsequent lines provided $5 discounts each, up to a maximum of 5 lines in a single account ($25 total discount). So one of multiple 1 gig lines could be viewed as free. But others would be $5 each. Given the performance of the network these days, I am not sure 1 gig of such slow data is worth $5. In fact it is the same average price per gig for the Fido tablet plan.
    Last edited by will888; 09-03-2016 at 11:45 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (EPP+6GB), Wind (Mobile Internet+Premium Data 20GB)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shades22 View Post
    Id rather get 12 gigs as a soft cap for $40. Plus the 5 gig soft cap with my plan. That is a total of 17 gigs for $69 a month. Never have to worry about $10 a gig overage. Speeds have always been awesome for me.
    ...or you can get 20 gigs for $45...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djino View Post
    Thanks for the Info. Yeah this sort of sucks, and makes it less useful to use this plan on my OP2, than I had originally thought.

Are there any phones sold in Canada that are allow 3G to be used simultaneously on each sim along with both being able to be "active" at the sametime (instead of Standby)?

djino
    You would want to get one of the Huawei phones sold mainly in China to do that.
    Some are sold online(eg. ebay and other sites)

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alvinma View Post
    You would want to get one of the Huawei phones sold mainly in China to do that.
    Some are sold online(eg. ebay and other sites)
    I have since found that the One Plus 3 / Axon 7 are 2 phones that can support a 3G connection (on the non-data sim card), granted in dual standby, but at least its better than the 2G-only setup I currently have with my One Plus 2.

djino

Feedback Score
    This is a little off topic, today I streamed the blue jays game on wind data and only experienced buffering a couple of times which is not bad. I have been using my Fido plan and so I had a lot of data to spare before hitting the throttle. It seems like as long as the data connection is started and kept alive with a slow trickle of data, the connects, disconnects, reconnects that I experience at work goes away. I consumed about 700 megs of data over the duration of the game. In round numbers, that is only a mere 70 kbytes/s average rate. I still find it a minor miracle that it actually worked considering the terrible data performance I have been experiencing this year. Today being a lead into the long weekend may have something to do with network performance. Notwithstanding, it is a glass is half full data point.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity -> WIND -> Public Mobile -> Koodo
    Feedback Score
    This is a little off topic, today I streamed the blue jays game on wind data and only experienced buffering a couple of times which is not bad. I have been using my Fido plan and so I had a lot of data to spare before hitting the throttle. It seems like as long as the data connection is started and kept alive with a slow trickle of data, the connects, disconnects, reconnects that I experience at work goes away. I consumed about 700 megs of data over the duration of the game. In round numbers, that is only a mere 70 kbytes/s average rate. I still find it a minor miracle that it actually worked considering the terrible data performance I have been experiencing this year. Today being a lead into the long weekend may have something to do with network performance. Notwithstanding, it is a glass is half full data point.
    Not related but, are you using an OP3 or Axon7 dual sim device? Or are you using separate phones for Fido/Wind?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djino View Post
    I have since found that the One Plus 3 / Axon 7 are 2 phones that can support a 3G connection (on the non-data sim card), granted in dual standby, but at least its better than the 2G-only setup I currently have with my One Plus 2.

djino
    Yea. The Chinese have a much higher desire for the dual standby feature, so lots of the Chinese phones carry that.
    Just be careful and ask the seller to make sure before you buy, because for some phones the international model under the same model name would be slightly different on the connectivity than the domestic(Chinese) model.
    Hope it helps with your search.
    The best option I can think of is to have someone buy the phone from China and take it to you, because they're sold cheaper there. Otherwise you can always get a phone from amazon/ebay/other online sites. tip: try aliexpress

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phoneseeker101 View Post
    Not related but, are you using an OP3 or Axon7 dual sim device? Or are you using separate phones for Fido/Wind?
    I was using my Wind plan on an OPO and Fido SIM on Sony Xperia z3 compact tablet. I don't have a dual SIM device to work with. Even if I did, I would not spend $25 on the second SIM plan. There's a lot of people using the Fido data plan with TextNow which supplies Canadian numbers and free talk and text. I got an account for schitts and giggles. What garbage. Every few days I get a massage telling me I need to send a text otherwise I will lose my number. Lol, if I was a heavy user, I would not rely on a free app. The app consumes a ton of data sending text. I am sure there's serious data mining along the way. Fido data with hangouts and a Google voice number is sufficient for the most part. If Wind doesn't smarten up, that may be the long term solution.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Just port your number into Fongo and pay for SMS, if you buy 6 months worth it is a little over $1 per month...if you are on iOS it is integrated with iOS 10's VoIP Kit...

I was using my Wind plan on an OPO and Fido SIM on Sony Xperia z3 compact tablet. I don't have a dual SIM device to work with. Even if I did, I would not spend $25 on the second SIM plan. There's a lot of people using the Fido data plan with TextNow which supplies Canadian numbers and free talk and text. I got an account for schitts and giggles. What garbage. Every few days I get a massage telling me I need to send a text otherwise I will lose my number. Lol, if I was a heavy user, I would not rely on a free app. The app consumes a ton of data sending text. I am sure there's serious data mining along the way. Fido data with hangouts and a Google voice number is sufficient for the most part. If Wind doesn't smarten up, that may be the long term solution.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using HowardForums

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Manu Sekhri View Post
    Just port your number into Fongo and pay for SMS, if you buy 6 months worth it is a little over $1 per month...if you are on iOS it is integrated with iOS 10's VoIP Kit...

I would never pay for SMS, it's a 20th century form of communication that should be deprecated. If my contacts got with the program and shed their calling plans that charge long distance for a call across the street, I would be set with Google voice, which by the way does SMS perfectly at zero cost.

Sent from my FIND7 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Then you don't pay for the SMS, just port your number into Fongo and use the calling feature for free...

...if you don't care about retaining your number use TextNow and get both Calling (Canada and US) and SMS/MMS for free.

With Google Voice you cannot have a Canadian DID, I have it as well recognizing it is not a perfect solution for Inbound callers.

I would never pay for SMS, it's a 20th century form of communication that should be deprecated. If my contacts got with the program and shed their calling plans that charge long distance for a call across the street, I would be set with Google voice, which by the way does SMS perfectly at zero cost.

Sent from my FIND7 using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Motorola Moto G7, Iphone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Speakout, Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Threatened to cancel through chat and received 50% off so 3GB for $7.50....I know its an old thread but....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast