Thread: cricket vs the new H2o wireless plans

Feedback Score

cricket vs the new H2o wireless plans

I never really paid attention to H2O before, but saw it mentioned in another thread, and looked at H2O's new plans.

This appears to be new to me:

-unlimited throttled 2g data after high speed bucket is used up (like Cricket... think this is fairly new?)
    -rollover data up to 5GB (new?)
    -3GB data for $36 per month w/ auto-recharge (close to Cricket's $2.5gb for $35)
    -full LTE speed up to the data limit

Negatives from what I've read:
    -no MMS on iPhone
    -no tethering option

So for individual lines, it seems H2O is very competitive, maybe more enticing?

Just wondering what the general consensus is on this.

Feedback Score
    I have both, one line on Cricket, and the $10 plan on h2o. For what it's worth, i prefer Cricket because there are some issues with sound on h2o for phone calls. I get that weird noise thing with h2o, distortion. Usually it's fine, but that does happen more on h2o than on Cricket. I am keeping my main line on Cricket. The way I've been going through top ups, i really should have had my other phone on the $30 h2o plan.

ETA: what I like about h2o is that right out of the box, it includes international texting and calls. On Cricket i have to pay for a higher tier plan and then i think $15 for international calls and texts.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, LG G3, Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, Project Fi, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    H2o has some odd fine print on those features... Just a quick glance, they don't state anywhere what those "2g" speeds are, Cricket is transparent to say 128k. Almost every other throttling carrier like straight talk have always had 2g at 64k. So half Crickets throttle.

Also the international calling is up to 10 unique numbers a month for 60 minutes, can recall, but number list resets every month.

No tethering, no international roaming, and the one time I was with h2o their customer service was very shady and made me double pay one month (final month because of) and refused any refund. You also cannot do plan switches midmonth without losing everything on your previous plan and fully paying the new. They seem enticing, but personally I'm a bit wary of them from past experiences.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR 128 GB white ( sim free)
    Carrier(s)
    Visible Mobile $25
    Feedback Score
    H2O wireless owned by Locus Telecommunications based in Fort Lee, NJ it's AT&T MVNO. I will take Cricket any day, since Harbor mobile cut and run thing, 3rd party-owned MVNO is no go.

Feedback Score
    I got caught up in the Harbor Mobile thing and I feel much better with Cricket. AT&T has a big investment in these guys and they are here to stay.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    FirstNet, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via APCO25
    Feedback Score
    Pay-go on H2O also uses USSD codes that will just about drive you crazy. Every time I would send or receive a text message I would receive another message letting me know that I just spent $0.05 and what my new balance is, same with phone calls.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6 / S9+
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    Just wondering what the general consensus is on this.
    Had them 3 years on their PayGo plan without issue. This is not some fly-by-night MVNO. They've been around over 20 years and have over 300K customers.

http://www.locustelecom.com/about/about.shtml

With data rollover up to 5 GB there shouldn't be a need to do mid-month plan changes. Customer support has been fine ... more responsive than Cricket's overburdened customer support answering daily 'where's my referral credit?' calls. The lack of tethering and int'l roaming is no different than Cricket on the lower tier plans. USSD notifications can be stopped with a simple call or online chat to customer support.

Can't figure out why they haven't solved the iPhone MMS issue. They could grab a ton more business otherwise.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    My mom in on H2OWireless paygo. MMS doesn't work well even on her Android (a Cricket branded Stylo). She can get multi users text, but all video, sound don't work. Roll over has been there since she joined (about a year ago).

@robertjglenn, my mom got annoyed by that ussd code with constant reminder about the balance as well. I had to call H2Owireless support to turn that off.