Thread: what can I do with a BasicTalk box? (ie, can it work for Google Voice?)

Feedback Score

what can I do with a BasicTalk box? (ie, can it work for Google Voice?)

Hello, I just picked up something called a Basic Talk for $5 from a thrift store (which I thought was like an OBiTalk but now found out it's different :^) and now i'm trying to figure out what to do with it.

I originally heard about OBiTalk and that it could work with Google Voice (assumes this is still in operation?) so it was in the back of my mind when I saw it. I'm wondering if there's any way I can use this to do the same thing. Apparently at the core it's a Grandstream HT701 if you can reset it to factory settings, hack it, and put in a custom firmware. But I don't fully know what that means because I don't understand SIPphones that well other than I think this is/was supposed to be one. :P As searching for that, plus google voice doesn't turn up much.

Can someone either tell me where to find more info (other forums if needed) or how to make use of it? Technically I can return it within two days if I can't do anything useful with it - it's only $5, but i'd still rather have the $5 back if it's worthless. :^)

Device(s)
    Still on my zte Axon 7 Mini.
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    I hope, by now, you've visited BasicTalk.com and realize that it's a low cost phone line that's voip (Voice Over Internet Phone) service.
    I've been using BasicTalk for years and can't complain at all. It is a basic phone line with unlimited domestic calling --if you want something beyond that you're going to need to look elsewhere. If you just want a phone line with caller id & touchtone in addition to being able to make your domestic calls at a flat monthly rate.. you're in luck.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by unit_shifter View Post
    Hello, I just picked up something called a Basic Talk for $5 from a thrift store (which I thought was like an OBiTalk but now found out it's different :^) and now i'm trying to figure out what to do with it.

I originally heard about OBiTalk and that it could work with Google Voice (assumes this is still in operation?) so it was in the back of my mind when I saw it. I'm wondering if there's any way I can use this to do the same thing. Apparently at the core it's a Grandstream HT701 if you can reset it to factory settings, hack it, and put in a custom firmware. But I don't fully know what that means because I don't understand SIPphones that well other than I think this is/was supposed to be one. :P As searching for that, plus google voice doesn't turn up much.

Can someone either tell me where to find more info (other forums if needed) or how to make use of it? Technically I can return it within two days if I can't do anything useful with it - it's only $5, but i'd still rather have the $5 back if it's worthless. :^)
    It looks like BasicTalk service is $10 a month. I would get the $5 back and put it toward an Obitalk 200 for $35. With the Obitalk, Google Voice still works and the service is free. If you see an Obi 100 at the thrift shop, I would pass. They no longer work with Google Voice.

Feedback Score
    You realize this is almost a two year old post right?

I long ago returned the BasicTalk (since it was not a moddable firmware version), got an Obitalk 2xx with 2 lines, and have been using Google Voice happily on two lines for awhile for $0/month and $70ish for the box. In the future i'll be adding another Obitalk or two at other locations when I need more numbers, for now it's just two voiplines.

Obi 100's arent updateable to still work? I thought there was a workaround...