Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why don't people take better care of their smartphones?

Feedback Score

Why don't people take better care of their smartphones?

I was on craigslist looking for a used Samsung S7. Most people wanted 350 to 400 for theirs, though i spotted a few people selling theirs for 300. The pictures left a lot to be desired so I figured I would have to meet them to get a better look. What a waste of time. Every single person showed up without a case on their phone and with no box. the phones all had varrying degrees of scratches and scuffs on the edges which is TOTALLY unacceptable for me and a few even had dents. No way am I going to pay any money for a phone with cosmetic flaws, especially when money is so difficult for me to come by. I decided I would meet up with the guy selling his for 400 and I thought maybe it would be in better condition seeing as how he described it as "Excellent condition" However when i met up with him and looked at the phone, one again, no box, the corners of the phone had marks on them and the charger port looked and felt worn out, like it might become lose or fail in some way someday. Not acceptable again. If I am going to spend money on a phone, I expect it to be 100% flawless and never ever fail. So the question goes out to you guys, why don't people take better care of their phones, and also, do YOU treat your phone like its the most important thing in the world? I do.

Device(s)
    nokia lumia 1520
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    you should buy a new one. people should have it in a case at least. i got a lumia 1520 my case covers the back and front. also got a screen protector on it to prevent scratches on the glass.

Feedback Score
    I completely agree. All my phones ate absolutely flawless. I don't think I am particularly careful with them, either. I don't understand how it is possible to rough up one's phone to the degree most used phones I see offered for sale. Also most used phone batteries are completely worn out. My batteries are all totally fine.

Feedback Score
    Oh my God.... I thought I was the only one in the WORLD babying my phones...as if it was a sickness or something....I crinng when I see people tossing their unprotected flagships on top of tables etc.... I'm soooo glad there are other people like me and I'm not crazy!!!

Feedback Score
    At least one a week I would see someone (usually female) at the gym drop their bare phone from a stair climer or other machine on to the floor while working out and listening to music at the same time. Not only no case, they are just holding the phone in their hands when they try to press buttons or what not.

I have read threads from "anti-case" users who brag about how they don't use a case nor screen protector and their phones never get any damage. Judging from the number of heavy wear/poor shape phones on ebay, I would say they are in the minority.

Sent from my Verizon LG G3 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I try my best to take care of my phone and I've always been that way. I have several phones laying around some several years old that look flawless. My S7 stays in a case and doesn't get tossed around. The OP mentioned a loose charging port, that's a fear I have so I always carefully insert and remove the cable. I never let my phone die and try to keep it cool to help prolong the battery health. I spend a lot of my time outdoors (farm life) doing different things. If I can keep my device in good shape why can't others? I've seen friends and family member throw phones, let kids beat them around, and leave them charging in a hot car. People never treat a PC or Mac that way so why do it with a smartphone in some instances they cost more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
    Oh my God.... I thought I was the only one in the WORLD babying my phones...as if it was a sickness or something....I crinng when I see people tossing their unprotected flagships on top of tables etc.... I'm soooo glad there are other people like me and I'm not crazy!!!
    I see people with these super expensive phones, leaving them sitting all over the place, sticking them in their back pocket and sitting on them.
    I use cheap phones. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy J1 that I got for $30. I do have a slim TPU cover on it, but no screen protector. I take mine hiking and biking with me all the time. It gets a little dusty but there are no scratches on it anywhere.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    To some degree, I think this can be blamed on the carriers. When people are getting "free" phones every two years, it tends to make them not value their phones and think of them as disposable. While we are moving away from the carrier subsidized phones, the idea that phones are disposable has been ingrained in people. It also doesn't help that phones really do have a limited lifespan, as advances in processors and cellular technology make phones obsolete within a few years. That part is getting better, as mobile technology is maturing, but it takes a few years for attitudes to change.

I also think, for some people, using a phone "naked" has a lot to do with them wanting to show off that they have these great high end phones -- it can be hard to tell a high end phone from a cheap phone once they are in a case. Though I am amazed at the number of iPhone cases that have a cutout for the Apple logo -- that seems purely because people want to show off that they have an iPhone.

Personally, I try not to let how people abuse their phones bother me. I can understand wanting to use phones naked -- many phones are quite good looking and they just don't look as pretty in a case. I even tried it, because I have had phones that I really like and haven't wanted to cover up. In my case, though, it hasn't lasted long -- phones tend to be to slippery and, if I drop it, then it will not longer be as pretty (if it isn't damaged). There is also the fact that cases add "bulk", some phones are so thin and light and a case can really add to the thickness so it isn't as comfortable in the hand.

So I can understand why some people keep their phones naked. And some people just don't take care of their stuff, particularly if they view it as disposable. I just try not to let those people bother me, or affect how I treat my phone.

Feedback Score
    On the other side, why do people care? To me a phone is a tool, not a fashion accessory. If mine lets me make calls, send & receive texts, and so on, I don't care what it looks like.

Feedback Score
    I think it gets easy to be careless with an object which you carry around all day every day. And with all that time it's bound to pick up some scratches and falls.

Feedback Score
    simply puting the smartphone in a pocket with keys or money to have some scratch, especially if it is not equipped with a durable screen or if it has an aluminum shell

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
    http://www.iphon10.fr/ http://www.galaxynote-10.com/

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I don't baby mine, but I also use cheap smart phones and buy them outright. Had a used Droid X, now a Moto G, and soon will have a Moto G4 Play. I buy $10 cases to offer basic protection from falls and my phones last me 2-3 years, then I get a new cheap smartphone. I guess maybe I'd baby them more if I bought premium phones, but even then you carry it around every day, things happen. It'd be hard to keep it "like new" without being *really* careful.

Feedback Score
    Don't get the whole coins and keys thing. Keep your phone solo on your pocket. How hard is that?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
    On the other side, why do people care? To me a phone is a tool, not a fashion accessory. If mine lets me make calls, send & receive texts, and so on, I don't care what it looks like.
    you should care because of resale value. maybe i should come bang up your car. after all its a tool. as long as it drives right? Like i said earlier, I never let kids touch my phone, and I baby the heck out of it. doesnt matter if it is a $700 galaxy 7 i got from rent a center or a $0 lumia i got from cricket. I treat it extremely well and detail it every weekend.

Feedback Score
    Why would I ever resell a phone? I'll use mine until it either breaks, or AT&T phases out 3g service. And If I did try to sell it, who would buy an obsolete phone?

Much the same is true of my cars. I've had my Insight 13 or 14 years now, and have no plans to replace it. And I do thank the person who banged it up by rear-ending me, 'cause I collected almost as much as I paid for it in insurance money. And it runs just fine, even with the dents. As for the pickup... Well, when you regularly hall hay, firewood, horse manure, &c, and drive on 'roads' where Jeeps get high-centered, new and shiny isn't something that lasts very long :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast