Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What would I lose coming from ATT post paid

Feedback Score

What would I lose coming from ATT post paid

The more I Read about Cricket it almost seems to good to be true. I keep hunting for the catch.
    With ATT I have two lines with 3 gigs of shared Data. My bill is $102.92 a month. With Cricket I can get 2 lines with 2.5 gigs of LTE each for $70 a month with all fees included . That is a savings of $32.92 a month and I get more data from the same towers. I can still use my two ATT Iphone 6's and My coverage is still going to be exactly the same.
    Aside from being able to finance a phone interest free for 2 years and the ability to teather what would give up making this move

Feedback Score
    Maximum downloading speeds are 8Mbps for LTE and 4Mbps for 4G. Your ping will be higher as well.

You would give up roaming and only receive native AT&T coverage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alajoe View Post
    The more I Read about Cricket it almost seems to good to be true. I keep hunting for the catch.
    With ATT I have two lines with 3 gigs of shared Data. My bill is $102.92 a month. With Cricket I can get 2 lines with 2.5 gigs of LTE each for $70 a month with all fees included . That is a savings of $32.92 a month and I get more data from the same towers. I can still use my two ATT Iphone 6's and My coverage is still going to be exactly the same.
    Aside from being able to finance a phone interest free for 2 years and the ability to teather what would give up making this move
    And you don't get HD voice or wifi calling with cricket, but cricket does offer tethering.

Feedback Score
    You would loose being raped by huge bills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone XR 128 GB white ( sim free)
    Carrier(s)
    Visible Mobile $25
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aokusman View Post
    You would loose being raped by huge bills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    100% agreed, you save money every month and your bill is fixed. Don't worry about roaming limits, in real world you never use it much, AT&T coverage alone is far and extensive enough to accomplish lot of things without roaming. I will stay Cricket as long as AT&T owns them.

Feedback Score
    Unless you do crazy amounts of traveling through or live in rural unpopulated areas the roaming thing is hardly worth mentioning. Otherwise as stated, bandwidth is a little lower and in times of heavy congestion att customers are given priority. Considering you can save 35 a month maybe more with a multi line plan, I'd say go for it.

Businesses and government people will still want the max coverage from att and tmo, regular people are way better off with cricket and metro.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I was on AT&T post paid for years. Finally moved the 5 lines over and for $100 for 5 lines including taxes that is a steal. No regrets. If cricket gets crazy on me I'll go to total wireless and if they get crazy I'll go to Tmobile. Nice to have some actual options.

Carrier(s)
    H2O
    Feedback Score
    Seeing as the days of subsidized phones from major carriers are history, I frankly can't see why anyone stays with them, except inertia.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eggsalad View Post
    Seeing as the days of subsidized phones from major carriers are history, I frankly can't see why anyone stays with them, except inertia.
    Prepaid does not offer:

1. VoLTE
    2. Network Extenders (femtocells)
    3. Roaming
    4. Corporate discounts (which can bring the cost of post-paid to close to prepaid.
    5. U.S. based customer support (if that is important to you).
    6. Equipment installment plans (there are some exceptions).
    7. High Speeds (Cricket throttles the connection to 8Mbps).
    8. And obviously the ability to pay after the month.
    9. Low latency connections. Cricket has very high latency which can amplify the 8Mbps limitation and make streaming seem less than ideal.

Updated: Had a few typos including the speed cap for Cricket. But really there is no difference between 5Mbps and 8Mbps. It's very low.
    Last edited by cellphone_guru; 07-04-2016 at 02:52 PM.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone_guru View Post
    Prepaid does not offer:

1. VoLTE
    3. Roaming
    4. Corporate discounts (which can bring the cost of post-paid to close to prepaid.
    7. High Speeds (Cricket throttles the connection to 5Mbps).
    8Mbps for LTE is what they throttle to. Not 5.

I get a 25% corp discount for AT&T post paid, but for my 5 lines Cricket comes out quite a bit ahead. But the multi line discount is where Cricket really shines for pricing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Prepaid does not offer:
    On 4, the tax and fee won't even cover the corporate discount. NYC pays about 22% on taxes and fees.

On 7, I thought it's throttel to 8Mbps.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10e, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Port AT&T -> TMo pay go prepaid for a few hrs and then port TMo -> Cric so you get $135 switch credit each line + $25 referral + 50k rewards pts referral (good for $25 refill, each line can have a rewards account)

Keep each line separate if you want multiple referrals -- use someone's referral for 1st line and then you can use your 1st line to refer the 2nd line

Another option is to start 3 new prepaid lines at TMo then port all 5 lines (2 old + 3 new) to Cricket @ $100/month group price -- you'll get 5x $135 credit for doing that

Device(s)
    iPhone XR 128 GB white ( sim free)
    Carrier(s)
    Visible Mobile $25
    Feedback Score
    Prepaid does not offer:

1. VoLTE
    3. Roaming
    Definitely never really use Cricket service, it's outsider looking in BUT never try one. Also again, the 8 Mbps cap is really nothing, no effect or whatsoever on real world use, it s again "myth" that nonusers, spectators always think about Cricket.

Feedback Score
    8mbs is plenty unless you are the type that needs 35mbs to make your epeen feel bigger while browsing mobile versions of most sites. The only downside I could see is if you wanted to stream multiple streams of netflix or something on hot spot which would destroy your post paid data limit anyway.

VOLTE isn't worth staying with a carrier.

AT&T native coverage is pretty great and doesn't roam a ton except in a few remote areas. If you fall into one of them that might be an issue for you but its not a huge problem. More of an issue for Tmobile and Sprint.

AT&T support is horrendous regardless if you're on post paid or pre paid.

You aren't really paying "after the month". When you get your first bill you are being charged in advanced for the pro rated part and the next month. That is why your first bill tends to be higher. Then when you cancel they don't pro rate the final month. So you aren't getting anything by being on post paid except screwed when you do leave.

I had a 25% discount with AT&T post paid and saved $95 a month moving my lines over. The discount barely covered my taxes and fees.

The main reason people stay with At&T is because they can't afford to get an overly expensive smart phone without device payment plans. Which is foolish but Americans love their payment plans even if it costs them a ton for them.

Feedback Score
    We have a Galaxy S5 Active on Cricket & we can't update the OS from 4.2.2 There is no offline update file so it has to be done through the AT&T server but they don't recognize the phone as an AT&T phone. I called Samsung they said take it to Best Buy that they can flash it to lollipop but the 5 Best Buy stores near us all refuse to do it. The only thing I can think of is to put it on AT&T prepaid try to get the upgrade then put it back on Cricket but what a pain in the butt...You would expect that since AT&T owns Cricket it wouldn't be this hard

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast