Thread: Cricket BYOD: They text you the APN settings!

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up Cricket BYOD: They text you the APN settings!

I just ported a friend from Postpaid Verizon to Cricket. They are keeping their VZW LG G3. It was an alarmingly easy process with all the info ready. We were done with an online activation in ~10 minutes!

Name:  auto apn settings.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  6.6 KB

We swapped the sim card, it switched to global mode automatically(no fuss like some VZW phones). These SMS messages arrived the instant we turned the phone on. It installed the default APN settings, but didn't set the MMSC MMS proxy, or APN type. I manually added those. I might have worked without explicitly listing them, but I didn't want to chance it.

Still, a step in the right direction. This one action must really eliminate a lot of headaches for everyone involved in the BYOD process.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    One thing I have noticed about porting into Cricket:

You activate immediately with your port-in number as an alias (even before the port is complete). There can be a transient period where both your old and new service 'work' on your ported number. Outbound calls from both services show your number, but inbound calls will either go to your old service provider or your new service provider (the epoch being the moment of port-in). I've seen this period last anywhere from nonexistent to ~5 hours (a typically port in wait period).

Feedback Score
    That phone will complain about the SIM constantly thanks to Verizon, and may have limited speeds... http://willmyphonework.net

Name:  g3.png
Views: 998
Size:  94.0 KB

I used my Verizon G2 for about a week before I replaced it with an ATT model.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    It is definitely getting HSPA 850/1900 and Band 4 LTE. It hasn't complained about the sim card... yet. Will it complain later? We rebooted the phone a few times, and not one peep. We swapped the default SMS program from the VZW message+ to the default SMS program.

He knows about the limitations on LTE service. This person's average data usage is measured in MB, so the $30 tier was in order.

Feedback Score
    It may be better with the G3. I know my G2 kept trying to access the Verzion app stuff and failed all the time, as well.

Feedback Score
    I never received any texts with the APN settings. I've used 2 byod with Cricket.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    Cricket BYOD: They text you the APN settings!
    I think all the MVNO's do this now, or at least all the AT&T MVNO's. When I joined Cricket in early 2015 they texted me the APN settings & when I ported to Gophone a few months ago they also sent me a text with the APN settings. The same thing happened when I ported my Mother in Law to H2O & then Airvoice a few months later. Both times the APN settings were texted to her phone. It makes things so much easier when done that way.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    This is the first time I've observed this behavior. All other times I had to enter the setting manually.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    I've had apn config messages sent to my phone but the mms server address was wrong. They sent cricketwireless.com instead of aiowireless.net. mms would not work until i manually edited the apn settings. Wonder if cricket still pushes the wrong settings.

Device(s)
    Nexus5/Nexus6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I haven't put them into phones in forever. They are already included and works automatically.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    AT&T is shutting down the 2g network in a couple months. I may be wrong but I think that phone has no 3g or hspa+ connectivity. Unless cricket gets volte before then, you'll need access to those network to make calls, as there isn't even WiFi calling yet.

Feedback Score
    Not sure what's going on with APN settings, but I'm not getting MMS now on wifi, even with Signals app. Have to turn off wifi to get MMS, only on Honor 5x.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    willmyphonework . net is inaccurate. This LG G3 is working on 850/1900MHz HSPA and Band 4 LTE.

I played around with this 'we text you the APN settings.' Turns out the config they text you isn't enough to get MMS working. You have to manually enter those settings . At least it gets 'the series of tubes' working though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    Not sure what's going on with APN settings, but I'm not getting MMS now on wifi, even with Signals app. Have to turn off wifi to get MMS, only on Honor 5x.
    There's a workaround for that that involves changing the MMS proxy in the APN to one of the following IP addresses

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by teardropcity View Post
    There's a workaround for that that involves changing the MMS proxy in the APN to one of the following IP addresses

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app
    Thanks, may check that out. For now I've just turned off wifi on it, that line has unlimited data any way so not a big deal not being on wifi.