Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Franklin R850 & External Antenna

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I think I've figured out the type of diagnostic ports used on the Franklin R850 - I believe it's the Hirose MS-162 connector based on another forum user's measurements for the diameter of the port. I would post links and such to the technical specifications page and a link to Amazon for the MS-162 to SMA adapter that I have on order, but I don't have enough posts under my belt as a new user.

Just thought I'd pass along this information to anyone else who wants to bypass the wimpy internal antennas on that thing.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Core Prime, TF700 w/custom rom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    @namwoljr
    Can you confirm this is the correct connector? I was likely the one who provided the measurements and picture (in the Unlimitedville thread?)
    I ran into a dead end in identifying the connector myself and would love to know if this is the right one. If you tried it please report back, success or failure.
    Thanks.
    With a little help I'll eventually be a novice.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The first adapter cable I ordered got lost in the mail, and the replacement finally showed up yesterday. I'll have a crack at it this weekend when I get some free time. I bought a 700-2700 MHz wide band antenna to use with it, but I might swap it for a PCS only (1900 MHz) yagi for even more gain since I don't have B41 in my area, and B26 is much slower than B25.

I've been getting 8-12 mbps down just by putting it in a window that faces a tower about 2 miles away, but I've also gotten 20 mbps down while in a 3rd story apartment that's roughly the same distance from the tower. That leads me to believe that antenna height more than anything else might make the biggest difference.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I would be interested in your results as well. Also, I've found pictures of the internal antenna here: fccid.io/document.php?id=2838249

Device(s)
    Galaxy Core Prime, TF700 w/custom rom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The biggest thing is does it fit? Is it the right connector? Then we can all try out our own setups and report back. It will be great and much appreciated if you found the right connector.
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So bad news out of the way: I chickened out. I've been moving the past week or so and that has given me very little free time, and unfortunately the return period for the Franklin r850 has already been passed. This means if it's the wrong connector, and I damage it, I'm out $125. I had planned on doing it before the return period, but...life happens.

I compared the connector on the r850 and the spec sheet for the MS162 side by side for a while using a magnifying glass, and the angled notch cut out of one of the corners is on opposite sides. There is also no thin vertical line on the black plastic on the r850 like there is for the MS162 connector. I'm getting good speeds as is, and I didn't want to risk not having internet for a week or two and lose a decent chunk of change for a gamble that might not pay off.

Now for the good news: I'll likely dump my 4G Community service for PCs for People service in a couple of months since it's cheaper, and I'll have a chance to play around with my 4G Community r850 before the service expires in March.

I'm not saying the connector won't work, but I'm convinced they are slightly different, therefore it wasn't worth the risk. If someone else can look at high res images of the MS162 spec sheet, and then look at the r850 connector, they will see what I'm talking about.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by namwoljr View Post
    So bad news out of the way: I chickened out. I've been moving the past week or so and that has given me very little free time, and unfortunately the return period for the Franklin r850 has already been passed. This means if it's the wrong connector, and I damage it, I'm out $125. I had planned on doing it before the return period, but...life happens.

I compared the connector on the r850 and the spec sheet for the MS162 side by side for a while using a magnifying glass, and the angled notch cut out of one of the corners is on opposite sides. There is also no thin vertical line on the black plastic on the r850 like there is for the MS162 connector. I'm getting good speeds as is, and I didn't want to risk not having internet for a week or two and lose a decent chunk of change for a gamble that might not pay off.

Now for the good news: I'll likely dump my 4G Community service for PCs for People service in a couple of months since it's cheaper, and I'll have a chance to play around with my 4G Community r850 before the service expires in March.

I'm not saying the connector won't work, but I'm convinced they are slightly different, therefore it wasn't worth the risk. If someone else can look at high res images of the MS162 spec sheet, and then look at the r850 connector, they will see what I'm talking about.
    Someone using Calyx was apparently able to switch devices by contacting Sprint. I'm still bugging them to tell us how.

I just signed up for calyx earlier this week and want to use a net gear zing with it for the Ethernet dock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iPhone XS:
    Verizon February UDP (Physical Sim)
    AT&T Unlimited Plus (E-SIM)

iPad Pro 10.5:
    Verizon February UDP

Rural Internet:
    Nighthawk HW1.0 LTE on AT&T Unlimited Plus
    Don’t cheap out on your cables!!!
    Years of struggle to get good speeds on a crap signal
    All solved with some quality LMR400 cables
    (went from 1-6mbps to 20-60mbps!!!)

AT&T Fiber

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks to this thread.

I returned R850 as I was not getting good speeds. After I returned that, I saw this thread and thought let me try the EM7455. I bought the EM7455 on EBay and also M.2 WWAN USB with SIM card adapter.

Slid in the EM7455 in the adapter and connected to my Windows 10. I was able to see the Modem on Device Manager but no COM port. I saw this wonderful post on how to enable COM ports on EM7455. That person also seems to have a great software to go along with the EM7455. Once I changed the USB composition to 8, I was able to connect it back on Windows 10. Now I was able to see the COM ports but they all had warning signs. I followed the steps to Rebrand EM7455 from Lenovo to Dell. Once I did this installed the drivers from Sierra website. Then Using the COM port under the last one I was able to issue AT command with the terminal s/W that IHGreg has posted above to change the PID. Now I had 2 COM ports (DMS and NMEA) under Ports(COM & LPT) and one as Modem under Network Adapters and another device under a name I forgot ( it is above Network Adapter).
    I was able to install the latest firmware onto EM7455 as well.

During this time I tried inserting some of the SIMs I had. These were AT&T and Sprint SIMs from Freedompop. Using Skylight Connection Manager I was able see that the Connection Manager recognized the SIMs and able to read the SIM's ICCID, phone # etc. As a first step, I thought whether the modem was able to see the SIM as registered or not, shouldn't show the signal. It showed zero signal.

I was caught up in other work. Now, when I tried it yesterday, suddenly, I keep seeing SIM card not inserted. I don't know whether it is the adapter that has faulty SIM card holder or whether something in the firmware is preventing I from reading the SIM card. And other strange thing, when I try to use AT command, when I type in AT, I get success back but any of the other commands like AT!USBPID? etc return error. But I had used that earlier to change the PID and VID from DELL to generic.

Not sure what is going on here. Has the new firmware changed all the settings? Why is the SIM card not being read?

Thanks for any clarifications.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Bad sim card resizing adapter or bad usb cable. The cables that come with the wwan usb adapters do not work and need to be replaced.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks Ih8Greg.

I am the same person who is on Facebook Unlimited group with the antenna problem. I did reset on the modem and it started working again. The AT command issue was because the I was not issuing AT!entercnd="A710" to get access to password protected commands.

Actually, the WWAN adapter - ZYX-WF05-R6 - everybody seems to be selling that model, the quality is very good - the casing, usb cable and everything else.

By the way I got the antenna connector to work. I will post some pictures on the facebook.

I really appreciate to you being actively helpful to everybody.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by parjas95 View Post
    Below are the speed test results:

R850
    Ping: 61 ms
    Down: 2.77 Mbps
    Up: 1.62 Mbps

MC7455
    Ping: 70 ms
    Down: 32.94 Mbps
    Up: 6.36 Mbps
    What kind of RSSI and RSRP signals were getting in the R850?

Those speeds are similar to what I am seeing with my R850. I'm wondering if setting up an MC7455 or EM7455 would improve things. I don't have an MC7455 or EM7455 card or any of the other stuff to set this up, so it could get expensive. But if this would improve speeds like that, it might be worth it.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    [QUOTE=Hindolam;16820113]By the way I got the antenna connector to work. I will post some pictures on the facebook./QUOTE]

Hi Hindolam. I'm not familiar with that facebook group, but am interested in connecting an antenna to my R850. I'd love to hear what you sorted out.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    [QUOTE=explosivebeer;16832664]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindolam View Post
    By the way I got the antenna connector to work. I will post some pictures on the facebook./QUOTE]

Hi Hindolam. I'm not familiar with that facebook group, but am interested in connecting an antenna to my R850. I'd love to hear what you sorted out.
    The antenna connector was to the WWAN adapter. Not to the Franklin R850.

The facebook group is Unlimited Hotspot Plan. It is a closed group. The Administrator will approve your request to join.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    There is an adapter on Amazon, item B06X9B8GMX (sorry cant post links)
    Does this passive antenna work at all or is it garbage? Anybody have any experience with it?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    There is an adapter on Amazon, item B06X9B8GMX (sorry cant post links)
    Does this passive antenna work at all or is it garbage? Anybody have any experience with it?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast