Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Franklin R850 & External Antenna

I just got a special corporate Sprint plan that nets me a Franklin R850. The good news is that it's dirt cheap. The bad news is it's deadlocked to the Franklin R850. I cannot use any other hotspot.

I know it's advertised as not having external antenna ports, but taking off the battery cover, there are five small port covers. Popping those off reveals five tiny jacks that appear to be antenna cable hookups.

With only one bar of service, I'm only pulling 4 mbps on average at the office - where our bandwidth is limited at the moment. Not very good, but not worthless. I'd like to run an amplified antenna out my window.

Anyone tried to hook up an antenna adapter to these tiny ports? I've sent some emails off to relevant 4G antenna retailers, but waiting to hear back.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I would be interested in what you find out! I have a R850 as well and would love to find a way to improve the service.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mloboy View Post
    I would be interested in what you find out! I have a R850 as well and would love to find a way to improve the service.
    Unfortunately it appears from talking with multiple people that the ports on the back of the device are diagnostic ports, even though they have coax-like connectors. If they are external antenna ports, nobody is talking.

A powered amp and passive antenna seem to be the only option.

:/

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Oh well! Thanks for trying and informing me.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    After looking at the fcc page it seems they don't publish the internal photos like they do with the pocket wifi. I dont know which conection type is on the board without seeing a picture but you can't mess anything up if you use the correct probe. 2 of those will be the lte antennas one primary and one diversity. There will be a port for each wifi antenna 2.4 and 5 if it has 5 ghz. One could be the 3g antenna.

Or shitcan that whole thing and put the sim card in the cat6 mc7455 and get true carrier aggregation and antenna ports.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Again, I can't change devices. I'm stuck with the R850, and it's $90 to replace if I make one bad solder job.

I think this is by design. Sprint is offering these on a lot of different restricted/corporate plans, I think they know that it won't satisfy a lot of customers... they may be using R850's limitations as a form of price discrimination.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I cant change my sim card from the PocketWiFi either with the plan im on. But the mc7455 in generic mode works and i have been using it for months. It blocks the cdma authentication and works fine. My account still shows that im using the PocketWiFi nd i haven't used it in months.

And no need for solder. Just get the correct test probe and they click on the test port.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Ih8Greg View Post
    I cant change my sim card from the PocketWiFi either with the plan im on. But the mc7455 in generic mode works and i have been using it for months. It blocks the cdma authentication and works fine. My account still shows that im using the PocketWiFi nd i haven't used it in months.

And no need for solder. Just get the correct test probe and they click on the test port.
    Wait, to be clear, are you saying that you moved a Sprint UICC out of the Pocket Wi-Fi hotspot, and it works for LTE data in the MC7455??

That would be very surprising to hear, seeing as how the UICC system works on Sprint.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Where you buying the MC7455 cards and eval boards?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    Wait, to be clear, are you saying that you moved a Sprint UICC out of the Pocket Wi-Fi hotspot, and it works for LTE data in the MC7455??

That would be very surprising to hear, seeing as how the UICC system works on Sprint.
    Yes this is exactly what im doing. Many people are doing this on the unlimitedville plans. The mc7455 just needs to be in the stock generic firmware and not the sprint firmware. I can lock on to what ever band i choose. I lock it into band 41 with carrier aggregation.

Im using a wwan to usb adapter with sim and plug it into my router. I top out at 70mbps and average around 50mbps. Im using a linksys wrt1900acs with openwrt to have it work with my mc7455.

You can get the mc7455 on aliexpress or ebay sometimes. They cant be branded or the wont work. You can use an em7455 also with a different adapter.
    Last edited by Ih8Greg; 10-31-2016 at 03:07 PM.

Device(s)
    i285
    Carrier(s)
    nextel
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes this is exactly what im doing. Many people are doing this on the unlimitedville plans. The mc7455 just needs to be in the stock generic firmware and not the sprint firmware. I can lock on to what ever band i choose. I lock it into band 41 with carrier aggregation.

Im using a wwan to usb adapter with sim and plug it into my router. I top out at 70mbps and average around 50mbps. Im using a linksys wrt1900acs with openwrt to have it work with my mc7455.

You can get the mc7455 on aliexpress or ebay sometimes. They cant be branded or the wont work. You can use an em7455 also with a different adapter.

How are you able to change bands? I am new to this, but once you plug in the USB, is there software needed to access the mc7455 card?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It's just terminal commands. Openwrt can run these commands with custom commands tab with just a click of a button

Device(s)
    i285
    Carrier(s)
    nextel
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It's just terminal commands. Openwrt can run these commands with custom commands tab with just a click of a button
    Any chance you know of a good reference to learn these commands?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sierra wireless website has the downloadsame of all the commands.

Device(s)
    i285
    Carrier(s)
    nextel
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sierra wireless website has the downloadsame of all the commands.
    what are the Sprint APN settings that you are using?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast