Carrier
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score

How do you know someone tried to contact you?

I made an impulse buy on the iPhone 7 for various reasons, and now I keep seeing calls and texts long after they come in. Apparently I've always relied on a visual way to know that someone has called or texted when I'm away without touching the phone, such as a repeating LED notification or ambient display. Raise to wake and the notification repeat options seem half-baked for devices that sell in the millions. Are there any other ways to know someone has called or texted without having to interact with the phone? The only possible solution I was able to find was that apps like Pushbullet may be able to display notifications on a PC. Is the iPhone just for people that spend considerable time interacting with their phones, or is there a non-jailbreak way to deal with this issue?
    Last edited by alluringreality; 10-28-2016 at 09:26 AM.

Phone
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Manufacturers presume that one has the telephone near enough to hear the ringing sound or the message notification. If the telephone is not near enough to hear, it probably is not near enough to see.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    AT&T, verizon
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
    I made an impulse buy on the iPhone 7 for various reasons, and now I keep seeing calls and texts long after they come in. Apparently I've always relied on a visual way to know that someone has called or texted when I'm away without touching the phone, such as a repeating LED notification or ambient display. Raise to wake and the notification repeat options seem half-baked for devices that sell in the millions. Are there any other ways to know someone has called or texted without having to interact with the phone? The only possible solution I was able to find was that apps like Pushbullet may be able to display notifications on a PC. Is the iPhone just for people that waste time lots of time interacting with their phones, or is there a non-jailbreak way to deal with this issue?
    Turn the led notification on. Settings-general-accessibility-led flash alerts

Carrier
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Like efparri commented, I'm not going to be near the phone all the time. I tried the LED setting, but I think it just happens with the notification, so I'm not sure how it helps with missing a notification while away from the phone. I figure turning on repeat would probably cause the LED to flash again, but I think that also causes whatever other notification items are set to also repeat, such as vibration and sound. Repeating notification sounds to bother others when I'm away doesn't seem ideal. Maybe there's something I'm missing, but when I tried the LED setting, it didn't seem to work similar to how phones typically use an LED to indicate waiting notifications.

Feedback Score
    Like efparri commented, I'm not going to be near the phone all the time. I tried the LED setting, but I think it just happens with the notification, so I'm not sure how it helps with missing a notification while away from the phone. I figure turning on repeat would probably cause the LED to flash again, but I think that also causes whatever other notification items are set to also repeat, such as vibration and sound. Repeating notification sounds to bother others when I'm away doesn't seem ideal. Maybe there's something I'm missing, but when I tried the LED setting, it didn't seem to work similar to how phones typically use an LED to indicate waiting notifications.
    Most smartphones eliminated the feature that you are asking about. I don't think iPhones ever included it.

Carrier
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I think you're right about Apple never offering the feature. I didn't realize that before buying. It looks like the phones I was cross-shopping still have an LED that can be used to display missed notifications. Does anyone display iPhone notifications on a PC? The main webpage of Pushbullet indicates that iPhone notifications only work with a Mac.

Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score

I don't think my old motorola razr flip phone had an LED, either. I know my Krazr did not.
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

Feedback Score
    I think you're right about Apple never offering the feature. I didn't realize that before buying. It looks like the phones I was cross-shopping still have an LED that can be used to display missed notifications. Does anyone display iPhone notifications on a PC? The main webpage of Pushbullet indicates that iPhone notifications only work with a Mac.
    I just pick up my phone to see what I have missed. iOS has some great continuity with OSX, but I've never heard of most of those features working on a PC - notifications included.