Thread: Need suggestion with poor tmobile service

Feedback Score

Need suggestion with poor tmobile service

Hey guys so I have a dilemma. In few months I'll be regularly traveling to PA. NYC>PA Pocono Summit area and tmobile is really random there I get att roaming or weak band 12. I also have verizon account with my family and that account has 28gb promo data and regular 24gb plan, so that's 52gigs for 5 people and verizon in pocono summit ain't that great as well... However it never drops service so at least calling works.

ATT seems to be the king in there. Would you guys suggest getting a verizon hotspot if needed to tether to my tmobile phone or it would be wiser to maybe get a cellular tablet?

Verizon is slow but works and I'll be relying on GPS a lot mainly Google maps.

My tmobile plan is : select choice unlimited and devices 7 plus and LG g pad 8x

I mapped last week for 7 hours my trip from nyc to Poconos. Then I saw my sensorly mapping and it confirmed it's weak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hop, Skip, and a Jump from Tijuana, Mexico
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You don't need data for GPS.

Download HereWeGo maps. You can download the actual maps (per state/country) to your phone/sd card and use offline.

The app was first developed by Nokia but now they are on their own and update frequently. It's a great app. I've been using it for 3-4 years now.
    MOBILE HISTORY:
    TM
    * 16: Moto X Pure 64GB Black
    TM, Telcel, ATT
    * 15: Note 3, ZE600, 2720
    * 14: Galaxy Avant, Z600
    Sprint/ATT
    * 12: GS3, 2720
    Nextel/Boost/ATT
    * 10: BB8350i, 2720
    * 09: i9, BB7520
    * 08: Tilt, i450
    * 07: W810i, A707, 8125, BlackJack
    * 06: L6, Z520, 6682
    VZ/TM/ATT
    * 05: 7135, i600, V551, 6230, 6620, Z600
    * 04: V300, T610, 6035, 3390
    * 03: T720C
    * 02: Advx CDM4000, 9000, 9155GPX, Thera

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rafster View Post

Download HereWeGo maps. You can download the actual maps (per state/country) to your phone/sd card and use offline.

The app was first developed by Nokia but now they are on their own and update frequently. It's a great app. I've been using it for 3-4 years now.
    Interesting good tip. I could simply download entire nyc and Pennsylvania. I only dropped to no service few times but was roaming on att a lot.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    If it was me I'd get a prepaid AT&T plan and stick it in a hotspot or a cellular tablet. Right now it looks like 1GB good for 3 months @ $25.00 or 3GB good for a month @ $30.00. If getting AT&T isn't an option then get the Verizon hotspot.

I carry AT&T in my iPhone, T-Mobile in my iPad/hotspot sometimes and a Verizon hotspot and AT&T like you said is tops, but Verizon is acceptable too you'll just have less LTE vs AT&T.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rafster View Post

I have, use and like Here Maps offline. The full title is Here We Go City Maps. It is not known for having great up to date maps in rural areas. Around the Poconos sounds rural to me.

Google Maps added the ability to navigate offline with saved areas a while ago. The size of the saved areas is limited, but should cover a good part of NY to Poconos areas. The offline areas have to be updated monthly or they stop working.

One very nice thing that Here Maps has is speed limits and speed alerts. When driving around rural Virginia the speed limit can go from 55 to 25 over a short span. I don't need Barney Fife busting me for speeding in some three-house, one-horse town with no signs of intelligent life.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baaadandy View Post
    If it was me I'd get a prepaid AT&T plan and stick it in a hotspot or a cellular tablet. Right now it looks like 1GB good for 3 months @ $25.00 or 3GB good for a month @ $30.00. If getting AT&T isn't an option then get the Verizon hotspot.

I carry AT&T in my iPhone, T-Mobile in my iPad/hotspot sometimes and a Verizon hotspot and AT&T like you said is tops, but Verizon is acceptable too you'll just have less LTE vs AT&T.
    I could do that but for same price I could add a tablet and share minimum of 52gb/month on Verizon. Not counting roll over data.

I guess I'm gonna see how it works with offline maps by heremaps.

Device(s)
    Tmobile Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    For offline GPS I use Copilot USA, or Here Maps. Don't know how much Copilot cost now since I purchased it 4 years ago for a special price of $9.99 or less, can't quite remember.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I've got an old phone I use as a dedicated GPS when I need it. I use Google Maps offline feature and it has worked flawlessly. I just downloaded multiple areas and it works fine with no wifi or cellular service.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-of-NC View Post
    I've got an old phone I use as a dedicated GPS when I need it. I use Google Maps offline feature and it has worked flawlessly. I just downloaded multiple areas and it works fine with no wifi or cellular service.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using HoFo mobile app
    Don't have any old phone that I could use for that. Sucks apple made the 7 plus like that. I could simply port and use the phone.

If the offline maps don't work too well, I'll buy an ipad mini cellular or ipad air 2 and use it with verizon.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    My copy of Google Maps told me that it now allows you to preload areas to use when you don't have cell service. I downloaded an area in Alabama but I have not messed around with it very much.

My solution for T-Mobile's coverage holes is to keep an old CDMA flip phone active on a PagePlus PAYG plan for ~$30/year. That's good for voice and text until Verizon shuts down CDMA in a few years. Hopefully by then either T-Mobile's coverage will be good enough in rural areas or there will be some sort of VoLTE roaming.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    My copy of Google Maps told me that it now allows you to preload areas to use when you don't have cell service. I downloaded an area in Alabama but I have not messed around with it very much.

My solution for T-Mobile's coverage holes is to keep an old CDMA flip phone active on a PagePlus PAYG plan for ~$30/year. That's good for voice and text until Verizon shuts down CDMA in a few years. Hopefully by then either T-Mobile's coverage will be good enough in rural areas or there will be some sort of VoLTE roaming.
    Doesn't newest ios allow to forward calls to tablet with ios?

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pattuspl View Post
    Doesn't newest ios allow to forward calls to tablet with ios?...
    Wouldn't know. Not an iPhone user.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pattuspl View Post
    Doesn't newest ios allow to forward calls to tablet with ios?

Yes, it does.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger32 View Post
    Yes, it does.
    Cool thanks that's a good thing to consider.

Feedback Score
    This was yesterday near east Stroudsburg. Just like 2 minutes from roadway.

I use the tablet to play music in car, GPS and map via sensorly.

Both my phone and tab had no service in few places. LG has a lot stronger radio.