Thread: Low cost sim for traveling to Tulum/cancun Mexico

Feedback Score

Low cost sim for traveling to Tulum/cancun Mexico

Hi all. Wondering what the best option is for a pre-paid sim for 1 month service so I have data service while traveling in Tulum Mexico for 10 days.

Hotel has wifi but charges $10 per day and I'd rather have data access on my phone for google maps and business emails etc.

I just need data and dont need voice really.

Ps. I use ringplus currently on unlocked iphone 6 which I used to have att on as well. So I assume cdma and gsm sims will work

Thanks in advance for any tips info.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Here's one I option I just posted about: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...Global-GSM-SIM

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by claremont99 View Post
    Hi all. Wondering what the best option is for a pre-paid sim for 1 month service so I have data service while traveling in Tulum Mexico for 10 days.

Hotel has wifi but charges $10 per day and I'd rather have data access on my phone for google maps and business emails etc.

I just need data and dont need voice really.

Ps. I use ringplus currently on unlocked iphone 6 which I used to have att on as well. So I assume cdma and gsm sims will work

Thanks in advance for any tips info.
    Telcel sim http://www.mexicosimcard.com/?gclid=...GAQaApH-8P8HAQ
    I used this site a few times.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    You could take advantage of Cricket's current promotion of unlimited talk/text and 8 Gb data for $50. Technically, you should use more than 50% of your allotments within the USA, over a 3-month period. If it is going to be a temporary number that you will let expire after one month, that won't matter.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Simple Mobile also has their plans and lets you go to Mexico with them for their normal prices. All their plans work in Mexico now, before it used to be their more expensive ones. As mentioned above, you can just do a temporary number and use the whole thing in Mexico, then forget about it.

Roaming limitations state: "Simple Mobile reserves the right to terminate the Service of any Simple Mobile customer who is roaming for 50% or more of usage in any 3 billing cycles within a 12 month period."

But you don't have to worry because you don't plan to be using this for more than a month.

https://www.simplemobile.com/wps/por...nlimited-plans

Hopefully this helps guide your decision. I've done this for a week in Cancun and didn't have a problem with it. Make sure you get their Simple Mobile Direct App if you want to dial Mexican numbers from your phone while in Mexico. I didn't do that and didn't realize it until I was home again.

Siliconvalley78

Feedback Score
    I spent the first half of the year in Mexico. I had Iusacell (which is owned by AT&T) and paid the equivalent of $25/mo for an unlimited talk and text plan (including calls to the US) and 3 GB of data. They required a minimum of two months service, so that may be a bit expensive for your intended use. Telcel has the largest network in the country (I don't know about the coverage in Cancun specifically). They only require purchase of one month of service plus the SIM. If you don't need to make out of country calls, that may be the cheapest route.

I recommend buying a SIM once your arrive in the country. There will be places in the airport, if you need to hit the ground running, otherwise, it can be purchased at a local tienda, which seem to located on every other block.

If you're a tourist on vacation, using the roaming that's offered by several carriers (including AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon) may be the cheapest and most convienant option. As a PT, it's essential for me to be reachable to my contacts in the US and my connections in the host country. The best way to accomplish this is with a local SIM and Google Voice.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    I would consider buying a Telcel America SIM, perhaps a preloaded one on eBay. Their $40/mo plan has 4GB LTE then unlimited 128kbs. It roams freely in Mexico and you can call forward your regular cell number to this US number and the incoming calls will ring down there. It runs on T-Mobile in the US and Telcel (of course) in Mexico.

There is also a $30/month variant of the plan with 1GB of data.

Hop, Skip, and a Jump from Tijuana, Mexico
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    You could take advantage of Cricket's current promotion of unlimited talk/text and 8 Gb data for $50. Technically, you should use more than 50% of your allotments within the USA, over a 3-month period. If it is going to be a temporary number that you will let expire after one month, that won't matter.
    Unless something has changed recently, I don't think Cricket has data usage in Mexico for roaming.
    https://www.cricketwireless.com/supp...ng-mexico.html
    MOBILE HISTORY:
    TM
    * 16: Moto X Pure 64GB Black
    TM, Telcel, ATT
    * 15: Note 3, ZE600, 2720
    * 14: Galaxy Avant, Z600
    Sprint/ATT
    * 12: GS3, 2720
    Nextel/Boost/ATT
    * 10: BB8350i, 2720
    * 09: i9, BB7520
    * 08: Tilt, i450
    * 07: W810i, A707, 8125, BlackJack
    * 06: L6, Z520, 6682
    VZ/TM/ATT
    * 05: 7135, i600, V551, 6230, 6620, Z600
    * 04: V300, T610, 6035, 3390
    * 03: T720C
    * 02: Advx CDM4000, 9000, 9155GPX, Thera

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rafster View Post
    Unless something has changed recently, I don't think Cricket has data usage in Mexico for roaming.
    https://www.cricketwireless.com/supp...ng-mexico.html
    That is probably an old webpage that they forgot to update. See this page, near the bottom. https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I had a few cricket sims lying around and activated one with the $50 plan and 8gb. I'll report back on how it goes with cricket in Cancun Tulum area.

Cheers