Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Cricket to ban non cellular devices

Feedback Score

Cricket to ban non cellular devices

Such as mifis and tablets and laptops etc. heard this thru the grapevine. It's gonna happen in the next 60 days. Warning messages will be sent then shut off. Bogus.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I thought this would never happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    Probably some sort of scare tactic
    There's other ways of tethering.

Feedback Score
    Seems fair. Unless you're paying for hot spot, I don't see why anyone would need one. If you need mobile hot spot, there are now more alternatives - Verizon Pre-paid, GoPhone, MetroPCS, etc..

Feedback Score
    Not sure why they would do this. You are paying for a set amount of data - the device accessing that data shouldn't make any difference.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jchoate2001 View Post
    Not sure why they would do this. You are paying for a set amount of data - the device accessing that data shouldn't make any difference.
    This Exactly.

A tablet is basically the same as a phone so if its lte capable what the difference anyway?

Seems off.

Device(s)
    iphone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Because Cricket writes the TOS which sets the rules for allowed devices3. The AT&T Direct TV TOS allows for tablets and car data connection but not hot spots devices.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    It's written right into their TOS so wouldn't be surprised if they begin to enforce it. They can easily keep tabs on who is abusing and take action as needed.

"Your Device uses a Cricket SIM Card to access our Data Services. You are prohibited from using a Cricket SIM Card with a device other than an authorized phone or smartphone Device to access our Data Services."

Device(s)
    iPhone XR 128 GB white ( sim free)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless $35/5GB
    Feedback Score
    GoPhone 100% for tethering...8 GB and 4 GB for light use, may be it's better alternative, as soon as my Cricket credit is up around February, I have to reconsider GoPhone.

Device(s)
    iphone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    At this point, it is only a rumor heard through the grapevine.

Feedback Score
    I think that don't want to make it easy for the users to fully utilize the data in the plans. I imagine that most people use less than their allowed data. Even with occasional tethering a laptop (5-10 min sessions - no streaming) a few times a month when traveling. I never go over 3/4 of the plan data allotment. It I get the warning, I will change providers (vs uprading to a hotspot plan) and I am about done with them anyway because of voice call priority issues in my area.

Feedback Score
    What does Cricket stand to gain by making it "not easy" for it's paying customers to fully utilize the data they are paying for?

The only reason I don't use my full 2.5Gb in a month is because I have very good Wi-Fi at work and at home. And I don't stream anything on my phone over cellular - because I'm usually driving when not at home or work.

My friend lost her Wi-Fi at home and is now on the $70 unlimited plan. In her first month on the plan, she used 35Gb without breaking a sweat. On just her phone.

If I hit my 2.5Gb limit, I get throttled to 128Kbps - regardless of whether it's a phone, a tablet, or a laptop or a MiFi device.

I would imagine that Cricket simply doesn't want to deal with trying to support non-smartphone devices. Fair enough, since they don't sell them either. But rather than exclude them, why not look at what other carriers are offering for those devices (ie; I don't need voice for a laptop or tablet) and create a data-only plan to offer.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    What does Cricket stand to gain by making it "not easy" for it's paying customers to fully utilize the data they are paying for?

The only reason I don't use my full 2.5Gb in a month is because I have very good Wi-Fi at work and at home. And I don't stream anything on my phone over cellular - because I'm usually driving when not at home or work.

My friend lost her Wi-Fi at home and is now on the $70 unlimited plan. In her first month on the plan, she used 35Gb without breaking a sweat. On just her phone.

If I hit my 2.5Gb limit, I get throttled to 128Kbps - regardless of whether it's a phone, a tablet, or a laptop or a MiFi device.

I would imagine that Cricket simply doesn't want to deal with trying to support non-smartphone devices. Fair enough, since they don't sell them either. But rather than exclude them, why not look at what other carriers are offering for those devices (ie; I don't need voice for a laptop or tablet) and create a data-only plan to offer.
    They pretty much have to do this now that unlimited is an option. They want you using unlimited data on your phone and not a mifi device to feed your whole house. The rates are set on expected phone usage and not watching hours of Netflix on a Vizio smart TV.

I'm surprised it lasted this long frankly.

Feedback Score
    How would they be able to tell you are not using a cell phone?

Would this affect a USB modem that takes sim cards?

Carrier(s)
    FirstNet, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via APCO25
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinnedone View Post
    How would they be able to tell you are not using a cell phone?

Would this affect a USB modem that takes sim cards?
    Lots of ways. Browser strings - your android phone will identify itself as chrome mobile or android browser, an iPhone will identify as Safari mobile. The type of webpage accessed - a phone will access a mobile website by default but a computer will access a full webpage by default. IP addresses, a phone will be assigned an ip address but if they see activity from another ip address through your phone's ip address then they can will know you are sharing your data with another device.

Yes, they can look, no they are not violating your privacy because you are a guest and should not have an expectation of privacy and they are not looking at specific content, just how the content is handled.

I would imagine this will be aimed more toward the folks on unlimited lines vs. someone on a 2.5 GB plan. I mean, yes the 2.5 GB folks aren't supposed to tether without paying but the folks with an unlimited SIM in a mifi providing internet to a residence is likely having the most impact.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast