Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Cricket to ban non cellular devices

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Groupsave5 View Post
    Messages will be sent out today. Please post if anyone gets the message to stop use of unauthorized devices.
    Your source?

Sprint Kickstart until the apocalypse!

- Z2 Force / Pixel 3
    - AT&T ZTE Mobley

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lip008 View Post
    Your source?
    Quote Originally Posted by Groupsave5 View Post
    Messages will be sent out today. Please post if anyone gets the message to stop use of unauthorized devices.
    Never mind....I saw in the other thread...

Feedback Score
    I guess we need to find out if it's anyone who tethers, high usage users, and/or if tablets and laptops with SIM slots also get the message. Maybe a new thread should be started where the device and type of activity?

Device(s)
    Moto G4+, iPhone 4s, DuraXE, Netgear 781S, GSP1600
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint Framily, TracFone (ATT), Globalstar
    Feedback Score

Got my warning

I'm a 4GAS subscriber and got the 'unapproved device' warning on my AT&T Netgear 781S the other day.

I have an old express card UMTS/HSDPA from latin america that I can use in my old Cradlepoint to try using while I come up with a better solution.

I'm hoping that device will not be in the death stars IMEI database.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dc907 View Post
    I'm a 4GAS subscriber and got the 'unapproved device' warning on my AT&T Netgear 781S the other day.

I have an old express card UMTS/HSDPA from latin america that I can use in my old Cradlepoint to try using while I come up with a better solution.

I'm hoping that device will not be in the death stars IMEI database.
    You might want contact your 4GAS
    Provider and let them know what
    Cricket is doing with hotspot devices
    And the warning your getting so
    They can fix the problem.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    some/many (I guess since enough did it for them to take notice) I'd imagine, were using this as a replacement for their home internet. I can't imagine how slow it would be if it got split between 3+ devices all going at once... But maybe for 1-2 person household, it might be doable. It does happen though. Karma once upon a time offered 'neverstop' which was unlimited internet at 5Mb/s speeds. They abandoned it after ~maybe~ a month b/c people were running up hundreds of gigabytes of data in that short amount of time.
    How would that work? I am on a 2.5GB plan, if I do what you think, then the data will be used in first 3 days (at the most). Then is just 2G speeds, not good for anything.
    So your assumption is wrong.
    If I have bought 2.5GB of data, then that's should what I get, no matter how I use it.

As I said this makes no economic sense and it will just push people in the competition's arms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    How would that work? I am on a 2.5GB plan, if I do what you think, then the data will be used in first 3 days (at the most). Then is just 2G speeds, not good for anything.
    So your assumption is wrong.
    If I have bought 2.5GB of data, then that's should what I get, no matter how I use it.

As I said this makes no economic sense and it will just push people in the competition's arms.
    Not wrong. You forget the unlimited plan that cricket offers. Try thinking about it from that perspective.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    Not wrong. You forget the unlimited plan that cricket offers. Try thinking about it from that perspective.
    Correct. Folks were able to take an Unlimited account SIM and drop it into a MiFi device, or get tethering to work, and then share out that connection.

Enough folks did it to get noticed (and if anyone doesn't think reps from the carriers don't visit here and see what is going on, you are sadly mistaken) and Cricket is now taking steps to put a stop to it.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jchoate2001 View Post
    Correct. Folks were able to take an Unlimited account SIM and drop it into a MiFi device, or get tethering to work, and then share out that connection.

Enough folks did it to get noticed (and if anyone doesn't think reps from the carriers don't visit here and see what is going on, you are sadly mistaken) and Cricket is now taking steps to put a stop to it.
    ^^Exactly. Anyone else remember "Sara from Straight Talk"?

But the "big ballers" that can't keep what they do under wraps ruined it for everyone else. Thanks.

Device(s)
    Essential, StarTAC, Lots of mobile broadband
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Sad to hear they ban hammer is approaching.

Please keep reporting your sightings.

Feedback Score
    "$70 a month for Cricket unlimited is still pretty expensive"

Isn't it lower than anything else on a good network ?

Feedback Score
    You can easily use 100 gig of unlimited watching videos on your phone.

And there is nothing wrong with using the service you paid for.

Device(s)
    LG F3
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lip008 View Post
    I guess we need to find out if it's anyone who tethers, high usage users, and/or if tablets and laptops with SIM slots also get the message. Maybe a new thread should be started where the device and type of activity?
    I'm a high usage user and have not received a message.. BUT about a year ago I got my Nexus 6P and stopped tethering then (I can't root because I have apps that won't work on root) and tether will not work on the nexus 6p without root, even buying it directly from Google.. I used a little over 200GBs last month due to traveling for the holidays.. but it was all within my agreement with Cricket.. I used it on Hulu and Netflix but used it on my phone using the phone apps.. Like others said, you won't get the warning if you use your service like it's intended.. there's nothing wrong with me using 200 - 300GB on unlimited.. where it becomes wrong is if I use the Sim in a tablet or MiFi device since those devices are not approved for Cricket..

I did however have a friend who is using a sim in an old phone just for tethering and HE DID get the warning..

With that being said, I'll admit I have tested my sim in a MiFi but I don't make it a habit of using it in a MiFi so I didn't get any warnings and it has been several months ago.

But keep in mind people, this is also why I hate it when folks come to the forum and mention the upgrade/downgrade trick.. they allow it for a reason BUT upgrading and then downgrading the same day or even month is abusing the system.. it's designed to be like "oh my plan won't be enough this month, let's upgrade and then next month I won't need as much data so I can downgrade then" not "dang out of data let's upgrade and downgrade to reset my data" to much of this and they might make it were we can't upgrade mid month at all! If you do this stuff, keep it to yourself and it'll be around much much longer I bet haha

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Nexus5/Nexus6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by devin37354 View Post
    I'm a high usage user and have not received a message.. BUT about a year ago I got my Nexus 6P and stopped tethering then (I can't root because I have apps that won't work on root) and tether will not work on the nexus 6p without root, even buying it directly from Google.. I used a little over 200GBs last month due to traveling for the holidays.. but it was all within my agreement with Cricket.. I used it on Hulu and Netflix but used it on my phone using the phone apps.. Like others said, you won't get the warning if you use your service like it's intended.. there's nothing wrong with me using 200 - 300GB on unlimited.. where it becomes wrong is if I use the Sim in a tablet or MiFi device since those devices are not approved for Cricket..

I did however have a friend who is using a sim in an old phone just for tethering and HE DID get the warning..

With that being said, I'll admit I have tested my sim in a MiFi but I don't make it a habit of using it in a MiFi so I didn't get any warnings and it has been several months ago.

But keep in mind people, this is also why I hate it when folks come to the forum and mention the upgrade/downgrade trick.. they allow it for a reason BUT upgrading and then downgrading the same day or even month is abusing the system.. it's designed to be like "oh my plan won't be enough this month, let's upgrade and then next month I won't need as much data so I can downgrade then" not "dang out of data let's upgrade and downgrade to reset my data" to much of this and they might make it were we can't upgrade mid month at all! If you do this stuff, keep it to yourself and it'll be around much much longer I bet haha

You don't have to root to just modify the build.prop file.

Device(s)
    LG F3
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Yeah but I have to unlock the bootloader for that and I don't want to spend all the time getting my phone setup again.. mainly it comes down to laziness ha-ha

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast