Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Callers No Longer Hear the Beep When They Call and I am on the Phone

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score

Callers No Longer Hear the Beep When They Call and I am on the Phone

I know many users hate having others know when they are on the phone, but my wife and myself like that "I am on the phone" beep as when we hear it, we hang up rather than having it ring for a while and just call the other back when we get off. For the last month or so, neither of us hear that tone anymore (we are on the same account).

I spoke to tier 2 technical support at Verizon which was of no help. The tech wanted me to do a reset, assuring me nothing would be lost but my wallpaper. Like an idiot I did and for the last day I have been re-customizing my phone.

Has anyone else been able to restore this "on the phone tone"? Is there a proper name for it?

Thanks,
    Marc
    Philadelphia

Feedback Score
    First I've heard of a call waiting tone being heard by the calling party.

Sent from my VS987 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Really? It's just a quick secondary tone right after a ring. I was pretty sure it was standard.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It's called call waiting. The other party doesn't hear that beep.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Mine stopped when we enabled HD voice, have you made any changes?

I believe it used to be a setting/feature technical support could enable or disable, but quote me on that.

I think it was called "call waiting distinctive ring", you had to have a certain area code and be assigned to a Lucent switch, so it's possible they have made some backend changes that disabled it temporarily or permanently.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    The switch used to add a quick "beep" immediately following the ring back tone that the calling party could hear.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    The switch used to add a quick "beep" immediately following the ring back tone that the calling party could hear.
    Yes... I used to have it, not sure if I still do or not...

Feedback Score
    I called Verizon a year ago and had it removed on 1x. It's saved me from getting into trouble lol!!!

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Yes Marc, it should still be working for you unless you are using VoLTE. It even works on Verizon's MVNO's.

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    For someone who's been on these forums a long time I'm surprised that you aren't aware of what the OP is referring to. If a Verizon user is already on a call & another person tries to call them, that person hears a beep tone after each ring. It's something that Verizon phone's have done since I started service with them in the late 90's. There have been quite a few different threads on it in the past, mostly from people asking if the "feature" can be removed. From what I remember Verizon was able to turn it off upon request at one time but that changed quite a few years ago.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...l-waiting-ring
    https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/783957

To the OP: I just tested it on my wife's Verizon line when she was on a call & the beep is still there.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

It's always been system-dependent.

For example, the Chicago system (SID 20) has never had the tone to alert callers if you're already on a call. The Central Indiana/Indianapolis system (SID 80) has always had it. Also, it depends where the called Verizon phone is currently located, not where it is homed. A friend of mine travels extensively and I still hear it from time to time even though he has a Chicago based number like I do, but it just depends where he is at.

I remember it being a feature (or a default option) of a certain network vendor's switches (possibly Lucent? as another poster stated) from threads on here WAY back in the day, but all that information has gone out of my brain long ago.

On another unrelated note, I've noticed Verizon error messages no longer tell you the system/switch number at the end of the message, just some cryptic "location code".

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post

For example, the Chicago system (SID 20) has never had the tone to alert callers if you're already on a call. The Central Indiana/Indianapolis system (SID 80) has always had it. Also, it depends where the called Verizon phone is currently located, not where it is homed. A friend of mine travels extensively and I still hear it from time to time even though he has a Chicago based number like I do, but it just depends where he is at.

I remember it being a feature (or a default option) of a certain network vendor's switches (possibly Lucent? as another poster stated) from threads on here WAY back in the day, but all that information has gone out of my brain long ago.

On another unrelated note, I've noticed Verizon error messages no longer tell you the system/switch number at the end of the message, just some cryptic "location code".
    That explains why I never knew of this feature. It sounds useful though. Just like how some phone companies had a stutter in the final ring before going to voicemail, alerting the user that it was going to VM. Idk if that was a flaw or intentional though.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    I know I've heard the call waiting "stutter" when the call gets sent to VM recently, but I can't pinpoint where.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    Mine stopped when we enabled HD voice, have you made any changes?

I believe it used to be a setting/feature technical support could enable or disable, but quote me on that.

I think it was called "call waiting distinctive ring", you had to have a certain area code and be assigned to a Lucent switch, so it's possible they have made some backend changes that disabled it temporarily or permanently.
    Yes I just spoke to support and they can turn on or off this feature and that is exactly what you want if they turned it off by default just call in to turn it on

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post

People who have never added voLTE to their accounts still get the beep after each ring here in Florida. I remember hearing it even back in the late 90s when I would call friends who had either GTE or PrimeCo. Sadly once you add the HD calling codes to your account it now goes away.

For those who still have the old-school flip phones or never added anything HD to their account they do still get the switches announced but like you noticed once provisioned in the system it goes away and replaced with a location code. For nostalgia sake I just recorded several of the error messages from switch 4192 (Tampa) since they will be going away soon. Call it the geek in me but I still have error message recordings from Legacy ALLTEL with both male and female voices as well as several different cellular one providers and US cellular from the Tallahassee Florida market before it was sold to AT&T in 2004.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast