Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Callers No Longer Hear the Beep When They Call and I am on the Phone

Feedback Score
    Here in california in L.A. you always hear a ring . You dial area code + number press send it starts ring, ring , ring..... until the person picks up . If they don't then you get their voicemail . It's like that on any carrier you have Verizon , At&t ,Sprint, T-Mobile etc... they all have that .

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baayers View Post
    People who have never added voLTE to their accounts still get the beep after each ring here in Florida. I remember hearing it even back in the late 90s when I would call friends who had either GTE or PrimeCo. Sadly once you add the HD calling codes to your account it now goes away.

For those who still have the old-school flip phones or never added anything HD to their account they do still get the switches announced but like you noticed once provisioned in the system it goes away and replaced with a location code. For nostalgia sake I just recorded several of the error messages from switch 4192 (Tampa) since they will be going away soon. Call it the geek in me but I still have error message recordings from Legacy ALLTEL with both male and female voices as well as several different cellular one providers and US cellular from the Tallahassee Florida market before it was sold to AT&T in 2004.
    Sweet!

I decided to test my prepaid flip phone and the distinctive ringback did not come up. (a suburban ATL phone number on a Tallahassee tower); I remember that the Atlanta system (SID 41) is different from the Tallahassee (Jacksonville, SID 4138)... I realized it one day when one of my friends asked me to do a three way call years ago. Here, I didn't have to wait for the other party to pick up, the third party could be added while it was ringing, like the old Bell system promo: "click, dial, and click again". In Atlanta, the caller had to wait for the third party to answer before it could be added.

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Yep, it's still like that in Atlanta. I've grown accustomed to it, but I prefer being able to conference immediately.
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quint101 View Post
    Sweet!

I decided to test my prepaid flip phone and the distinctive ringback did not come up. (a suburban ATL phone number on a Tallahassee tower); I remember that the Atlanta system (SID 41) is different from the Tallahassee (Jacksonville, SID 4138)... I realized it one day when one of my friends asked me to do a three way call years ago. Here, I didn't have to wait for the other party to pick up, the third party could be added while it was ringing, like the old Bell system promo: "click, dial, and click again". In Atlanta, the caller had to wait for the third party to answer before it could be added.
    I’m not sure how long you have been in Tallahassee but do you remember calling people who had ALLTEL? It was always strange when you called them because while their system was looking for the tower you would hear a click every second. If the system located them you would then hear ringing as usual but after 10 clicks is no success in locating them you got sent to voicemail. I still remember back in the mid 2000’s West of Tallahassee Verizon was still primarily just utilizing ALLTEL for service. I remember anytime I had to go see family making sure to warn people that called me if they heard clicking do not hang up the call is not screwed up LOL.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baayers View Post
    I’m not sure how long you have been in Tallahassee but do you remember calling people who had ALLTEL? It was always strange when you called them because while their system was looking for the tower you would hear a click every second. If the system located them you would then hear ringing as usual but after 10 clicks is no success in locating them you got sent to voicemail. I still remember back in the mid 2000’s West of Tallahassee Verizon was still primarily just utilizing ALLTEL for service. I remember anytime I had to go see family making sure to warn people that called me if they heard clicking do not hang up the call is not screwed up LOL.
    I remember the Alltel clicks. Funny stuff. I had their prepaid service back in the day and I remember the clicks as well. Verizon service was trash back in the day... If you left the city, you were on Alltel and dealt with the clicks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    The beep is no longer with hd calling or volte enabled.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2