Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Phone to replace amazon fire phone on cricket

Feedback Score

Phone to replace amazon fire phone on cricket

My wife wants to replace her amazon fire phone which she uses on Cricket. Her budget is around $200. She wants something with a nice camera and running on marshmallow.

Is the asus zenfone 3 laser any good? What about the moto g4?

Thoughts? Any Black Friday or cyber monday deals coming up?

Thanks,

-Guru

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score

Phone to replace amazon fire phone on cricket

See prepaidphonenews dot com for bf deals just for phones

Feedback Score
    Highly recommend the Note 4... that is a sweet flagship phone that still works great for most people today. A mint Note 4 on Swappa is the way to go, imho.

Feedback Score
    I have the Moto g4+ and it's a really good device. Plus, I used to think tap to wake up was a great feature on my OnePlus One, but now I could not go without the fingerprint sensor on my g4+!

The camera is one of the best, and depending how you use the phone, the battery can easily go over 48 hours on a charge.

ETA: I bought mine direct from Moto Maker. Forgot to mention, the SDcard slot is a major feature I wanted too. I don't think there are any issues at all with this phone. It's a lot of phone for the money.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I'll second the Moto G4 - I went with the standard G4 and not the G4+ - if the camera is important, go with the Plus.

Feedback Score
    Moto G4 Plus. I have the 4gig 64 gig model. It is 300 but outstanding phone

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    Wish there was something the same size as the Amazon phone, to be honest.
    It seems there's no shortage of 5.5" and up devices on the cheap. But those of us who want 5" or even (*GASP*) smaller, either have to get a watered-down handset or pay a small fortune (looking at you, Sony Xperia compacts!).

I didn't like the Fire phone, but the one thing it had going for it was a really manageable size to hold and carry. I miss my phones being able to do that (looks longingly at Nexus 4 and HTC One X in the bottom of drawer).

Got any suggestions for folks like us?
    Been gone a long time. Hello, HoFo- I'm BACK.

Feedback Score
    Moto G4 Play with a 5" screen.

I'd also browse this link to look for unlocked phones on sale that would meet your requirements:
    http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2016...ek-nov-20.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dishe View Post
    Wish there was something the same size as the Amazon phone, to be honest.
    It seems there's no shortage of 5.5" and up devices on the cheap. But those of us who want 5" or even (*GASP*) smaller, either have to get a watered-down handset or pay a small fortune (looking at you, Sony Xperia compacts!).

I didn't like the Fire phone, but the one thing it had going for it was a really manageable size to hold and carry. I miss my phones being able to do that (looks longingly at Nexus 4 and HTC One X in the bottom of drawer).

Got any suggestions for folks like us?
    There are a lot of phones like that.. S6, S7, iPhone 6 / 7 / SE / 5s, and a lot of budget phones in this size.

I love the larger phones because of the display, and vastly better battery life. The small phones are for my kids or for use as a "trap phone" as Flossy Carter puts it, lol.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jchoate2001 View Post
    Moto G4 Play with a 5" screen.

I'd also browse this link to look for unlocked phones on sale that would meet your requirements:
    http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2016...ek-nov-20.html
    I considered the G4 Play, but aside from obviously being lower than the G4, it seems a step down from even the G3 it is based on, despite being nearly identical (worse camera, slower chip). Its also got a lot of bezels making it larger than 5.2" phones like the LG G2. Problem with a used G2 is that the battery is sealed and who knows how the previous owner used/abused the battery before selling it.
    So I start looking into the Galaxy S4, since it was the last model with a 5" display and removable battery that is compact and not crippled, but we're already looking at hardware from 3 generations ago. Sure, you can install CM13 on it, but that phone was designed to run on Android 4.x, so I start looking at something current and come around again to the G4 Play. Rinse repeat. Very annoying.

I'd consider the Blu R1 HD if only because of the price, even though it also is a bit large for a 5" handset... but it hasn't been carried in about a month, and now there are all these reports of Blu phones being littered with backdoors and spyware feeding your data to a server in China, which is likely why Amazon pulled the R1 to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    There are a lot of phones like that.. S6, S7, iPhone 6 / 7 / SE / 5s, and a lot of budget phones in this size.
    iPhones are actually perfect size, I like their ergonomics. But I hate the OS. Also, as a prepaid user that relies on Google Voice for my phone number, iOS simply can't integrate with the dialer and SMS the way Android does, so that's a non-starter. But man, I WISH they made flagship Androids that size!
    The S6 and S7 are actually bigger than 5"... not by much mind you, but the S4 was the last flagship 5" device made. The LG G2, meanwhile, somehow crammed 5.2" into a device around the same size as the S4. But that was the last and only time they did that, as the G series grew by the time they added a removable battery (a must if buying a used phone IMO). Speaking of which, the S6 and S7 also don't have removable batteries which means I'd only trust them new (sealed batteries second hand are a crapshoot, as previously mentioned). Flagships brand new aren't affordable, and if I had the cash for them I'd rather get an Xperia compact anyway (some are still sold that are 4.7"!).

I guess what drives me crazy is knowing how many amazing options there are between $100-200 if I wanted a larger device. You'd think a smaller 4.7 or 5" display device would cost less. Heck, you can even get away with a 720p screen at that size and still have excellent pixel pitch.

I love the larger phones because of the display, and vastly better battery life. The small phones are for my kids or for use as a "trap phone" as Flossy Carter puts it, lol.
    I hear you, but the battery life doesn't need to be worse. In fact, I had a Galaxy Victory (S3 mini) back in the day that used the same battery as the Galaxy S3. But it easily outlasted the S3 because the screen would draw less power to illuminate. Same with an older LG Optimus phone I had waaaay back in the day- same mAH as a larger phone, but lasted for days because of its 4" screen.

The thing now is that they are purposely putting smaller batteries in the smaller phones to make a distinction most of the time. Like the Galaxy Alpha, a nice 4.7" galaxy phone, but only has a skimpy 1800mah battery that looks like they took a normal square-shaped battery and cut it in half for no good reason other than to limit your battery life. I mean, if I could have a 4" phone with a 2350mah battery, there's no reason a 4.7-incher needs to be limited to 1800! And 5" phones with 3,000mah batteries exist. It's totally doable. The problem is, none of the manufacturers are taking the smaller screen market seriously. Most people, like your comment, seem to equate bigger screen with better quality, so they feed into that marketing expectation so they can charge accordingly.

The only company making flagship specs in a small package appears to be Sony. And they charge waaaay too much for it IMO. Sigh.

So, back full circle: The Amazon Fire phone was great for its size. That's about all it had going for it, and we live in a 5.1 and up world now, unless you want something with 1GB of ram.

Feedback Score
    When I ordered the g4+ a few minutes later I realized I had not considered the screen size, because I had planned to buy the higher end (of the g3's) g3 partly due to the 5 inch size.

So, I had already ordered the g4+ and I didn't want to go through the hassle of canceling my order.

So, when I got the phone last month, I was of two minds because it is bigger than I wanted. I do have a OnePlus One so I'm more or less used to the size, but always felt it is too large to use comfortably. But if I do use it for several hours at a time, I get used to it, and my Nexus 5 seems very small at first.

So now that I retired the Nexus 5 because the battery is shot, I'm getting more used to the 5.5" size, but I really do wish my G4+ were no larger than 5".

In any case, the G4+ is a flagship phone, even compared to the original Nexus 5. I needed a new phone and the g4+ ticked almost all the boxes I had.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Iphone Xs, Ipad Pro 11"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dishe View Post
    I considered the G4 Play, but aside from obviously being lower than the G4, it seems a step down from even the G3 it is based on, despite being nearly identical (worse camera, slower chip). Its also got a lot of bezels making it larger than 5.2" phones like the LG G2. Problem with a used G2 is that the battery is sealed and who knows how the previous owner used/abused the battery before selling it.
    So I start looking into the Galaxy S4, since it was the last model with a 5" display and removable battery that is compact and not crippled, but we're already looking at hardware from 3 generations ago. Sure, you can install CM13 on it, but that phone was designed to run on Android 4.x, so I start looking at something current and come around again to the G4 Play. Rinse repeat. Very annoying.

I'd consider the Blu R1 HD if only because of the price, even though it also is a bit large for a 5" handset... but it hasn't been carried in about a month, and now there are all these reports of Blu phones being littered with backdoors and spyware feeding your data to a server in China, which is likely why Amazon pulled the R1 to begin with.

iPhones are actually perfect size, I like their ergonomics. But I hate the OS. Also, as a prepaid user that relies on Google Voice for my phone number, iOS simply can't integrate with the dialer and SMS the way Android does, so that's a non-starter. But man, I WISH they made flagship Androids that size!
    The S6 and S7 are actually bigger than 5"... not by much mind you, but the S4 was the last flagship 5" device made. The LG G2, meanwhile, somehow crammed 5.2" into a device around the same size as the S4. But that was the last and only time they did that, as the G series grew by the time they added a removable battery (a must if buying a used phone IMO). Speaking of which, the S6 and S7 also don't have removable batteries which means I'd only trust them new (sealed batteries second hand are a crapshoot, as previously mentioned). Flagships brand new aren't affordable, and if I had the cash for them I'd rather get an Xperia compact anyway (some are still sold that are 4.7"!).

I guess what drives me crazy is knowing how many amazing options there are between $100-200 if I wanted a larger device. You'd think a smaller 4.7 or 5" display device would cost less. Heck, you can even get away with a 720p screen at that size and still have excellent pixel pitch.

I hear you, but the battery life doesn't need to be worse. In fact, I had a Galaxy Victory (S3 mini) back in the day that used the same battery as the Galaxy S3. But it easily outlasted the S3 because the screen would draw less power to illuminate. Same with an older LG Optimus phone I had waaaay back in the day- same mAH as a larger phone, but lasted for days because of its 4" screen.

The thing now is that they are purposely putting smaller batteries in the smaller phones to make a distinction most of the time. Like the Galaxy Alpha, a nice 4.7" galaxy phone, but only has a skimpy 1800mah battery that looks like they took a normal square-shaped battery and cut it in half for no good reason other than to limit your battery life. I mean, if I could have a 4" phone with a 2350mah battery, there's no reason a 4.7-incher needs to be limited to 1800! And 5" phones with 3,000mah batteries exist. It's totally doable. The problem is, none of the manufacturers are taking the smaller screen market seriously. Most people, like your comment, seem to equate bigger screen with better quality, so they feed into that marketing expectation so they can charge accordingly.

The only company making flagship specs in a small package appears to be Sony. And they charge waaaay too much for it IMO. Sigh.

So, back full circle: The Amazon Fire phone was great for its size. That's about all it had going for it, and we live in a 5.1 and up world now, unless you want something with 1GB of ram.
    People like you who prefer a small screen are a very small minority. When I had my first Android phone, the Samsung Moment, it had a 3.2" screen, even smaller than the 3.5" of the iPhone screen. Painful.

My eyes hurt looking at phones less than 5" in size. I'm guessing most people who are looking for a small phone are not power users, and don't really do much on the phone. Anyone who really uses their phone a lot prefer the larger screen. You may have get the iPhone SE or 5s to have a decent small phone, it's just not that popular for most people because the eyes can't deal with it long term.

I personally find it puzzling that people prefer small screens. My kids even prefer larger phones because it's fatiguing looking at small screens. The larger phone size doesn't bother them one bit. It fits their pockets fine and one handed use is not much of an issue with voice commands, and most of the time they are using both hands on the phone anyway...

I remember when people thought anything larger than 5" was a joke. I had that piece of crap 3.2" Samsung Moment and looked longingly at the Dell Streak at 5" screen, it was amazing. Once people go large screen, it's hard to go back to a tiny screen.

Feedback Score
    Well picked up a Motog4+ from the wife. Can I just pull the sim card out of her amazon fire phone that she currently uses on Cricket and put it in the new Moto G? Or do I need to do something else? Do I need to call Cricket at all?

Thanks,

-Guru

Feedback Score
    Just pop in the dim card from the fire phone and be on your way.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast