Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35

Thread: Phone to replace amazon fire phone on cricket

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,361
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ListedGuru View Post
    Well picked up a Motog4+ from the wife. Can I just pull the sim card out of her amazon fire phone that she currently uses on Cricket and put it in the new Moto G? Or do I need to do something else? Do I need to call Cricket at all?

    Thanks,

    -Guru
    If the sim card fits in the new phone, yes, nothing more to do.

    But if it's a different size than the fire phone, you may want to contact cricket to send you a new sim card. It's better than using an adapter and possibly killing the phone.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    108
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by futurephone View Post
    If the sim card fits in the new phone, yes, nothing more to do.

    But if it's a different size than the fire phone, you may want to contact cricket to send you a new sim card. It's better than using an adapter and possibly killing the phone.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Well it looks like the amazon fire phone uses a nano sim whereas the Moto G4 plus uses a micro sim. So your saying it's better to use a new micro sim in the new moto g4 plus? Can I just buy one of the cricket kits and use the micro sim out of that? Do I need to contact Cricket and have them do something with the new sim?

    I guess I didn't know you could possibly kill a phone by using an adapter.

    Thanks,

    -Guru

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,361
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ListedGuru View Post
    Well it looks like the amazon fire phone uses a nano sim whereas the Moto G4 plus uses a micro sim. So your saying it's better to use a new micro sim in the new moto g4 plus? Can I just buy one of the cricket kits and use the micro sim out of that? Do I need to contact Cricket and have them do something with the new sim?

    I guess I didn't know you could possibly kill a phone by using an adapter.

    Thanks,

    -Guru
    Yeah, the safest thing is to call Cricket and tell them you need a a new micro sim for your existing phone number.

    You could try using an adapter but I would not do that myself.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,057
    Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    People like you who prefer a small screen are a very small minority. When I had my first Android phone, the Samsung Moment, it had a 3.2" screen, even smaller than the 3.5" of the iPhone screen. Painful.

    My eyes hurt looking at phones less than 5" in size. I'm guessing most people who are looking for a small phone are not power users, and don't really do much on the phone. Anyone who really uses their phone a lot prefer the larger screen. You may have get the iPhone SE or 5s to have a decent small phone, it's just not that popular for most people because the eyes can't deal with it long term.

    I personally find it puzzling that people prefer small screens. My kids even prefer larger phones because it's fatiguing looking at small screens. The larger phone size doesn't bother them one bit. It fits their pockets fine and one handed use is not much of an issue with voice commands, and most of the time they are using both hands on the phone anyway...

    I remember when people thought anything larger than 5" was a joke. I had that piece of crap 3.2" Samsung Moment and looked longingly at the Dell Streak at 5" screen, it was amazing. Once people go large screen, it's hard to go back to a tiny screen.
    Condescending much?

    I ran an entire start-up business from my phone back when 4" was considered YUUUUGE (remote sessions, flip out keyboards were easier to reply to important emails on than any touch-keyboard today, etc). I LIVED on my phone and helped write and debug one of the early XDA-community firmware kitchens (there used to be some winmo roms that have me listed in the credits).
    I feel like I should be mildly insulted by the "don't really do much on the phone" quip. I've probably done more on my mobile devices than half the members of this forum. Ok, that's pushing it, there are some pretty seasoned power users here too. But you get the idea.

    I remember the Dell Streak, and I never had the envy that you describe. In fact, I actually burst out laughing the first time I saw someone use it. I guess I'd compare it to Katniss from the Hunger Games visiting the Capitol- they don't realize how ridiculous their styles are because they are so steeped in them.

    Look, I get why large screens exist. Heck, my kids like big screen phones. That's because they aren't phones to them, but rather mini tablets. They have backpacks and purses to put them in, and don't need to actually have it on them to use as often as I do. They play games and text and watch movies (only time they get used as a phone is when we call them). I have a 7" tablet I enjoy using immensely for that sort of thing, and I want a phone with the same power but much smaller to keep on me. If I need to use two hands to use my phone, that's already a usability FAIL. If I can't easily fish it out of a pocket in a sitting position, that's another. Heck, I used to be able to sit down without feeling the phone in my pocket, which is more than I can say of any phone in the last couple of years. I'm constantly taking my larger phones out and leaving them on my desk because its annoying to carry on me. What's the point of a super powerful device that you don't have on you? I had to buy my wife a smartwatch that vibrates on incoming calls because she'll literally leave her phone in another room in the house rather than keep it on her, and always miss calls. We both have pretty active lifestyles, and keeping a large phone on our person doesn't fit into that.

    At the end of the day, a large screen device is great for someone who plans to actually sit down and give their phone all their attention (watch a movie, for example). But I need to multitask using my phone with moving around in the real world. I have a bigger device for those moments I want a big gaming or video watching device. There is no danged good reason for there not to be small screen phones in addition to large screened ones.
    Except for one: Marketing. See, the kind of person who associates a large screen with the power of the device is also the kind of person who will purchase phones more often. I invest in a device and keep it until there is a compelling reason to move on. For example, the Galaxy S5 wasn't enough of an upgrade from the 4 for me to move on, and then the 6 actually removed the battery and card slot, so I considered it a downgrade. When devices started offering more RAM and chips significantly more powerful, I started eyeing LG as my upgrades from then on.

    But... I actually needed to dig out an F3 to use as a backup for something (a 4" ICS device), and I realized how much I missed something I can palm. I wished that the specs didn't suck on it. I would gladly carry a phone that size around with me versus the more modern phones I'm using. The battery would last forever in that thing because the screen requires so little power. Reception and call quality are great too (Sometimes on my larger ZTE phone, callers can't hear me when I shoulder the phone because the mic isn't pointing towards my mouth. FAIL). But the phone is a dog at just about anything beyond basic calls/text/email and VERY light gaming. This makes me sad... but I digress, have totally stolen the topic of the thread, I'm sorry OP!

    Tl;dr- I have big phones now and miss smaller screen phones. The larger ones don't really fit into the way my wife and I go about our day. But the smaller ones are too slow, so there's nothing out there for us.
    The big ones are more common BECAUSE CONSUMERISM. Not because they are better. End rant.
    Been gone a long time. Hello, HoFo- I'm BACK.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    108
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by futurephone View Post
    Yeah, the safest thing is to call Cricket and tell them you need a a new micro sim for your existing phone number.

    You could try using an adapter but I would not do that myself.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    So will cricket send it free or charge me? Is this something I can do at a cricket store or buy a sim at bestbuy?

    Thanks.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    708
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ListedGuru View Post
    So will cricket send it free or charge me? Is this something I can do at a cricket store or buy a sim at bestbuy?

    Thanks.
    Cricket will charge you $10 for it. Folks bought a lot of $1 sims on Amazon a while ago. May be if you ask someone may be able to mail one to you for a small gift card or contact user deezit15 for free sims he is a dealer.
    Get yourself $25 as you join Cricket Wireless!
    https://www.cricketwireless.com/l/re...6ds&type=email

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,237
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dishe View Post
    Condescending much?

    I ran an entire start-up business from my phone back when 4" was considered YUUUUGE (remote sessions, flip out keyboards were easier to reply to important emails on than any touch-keyboard today, etc). I LIVED on my phone and helped write and debug one of the early XDA-community firmware kitchens (there used to be some winmo roms that have me listed in the credits).
    I feel like I should be mildly insulted by the "don't really do much on the phone" quip. I've probably done more on my mobile devices than half the members of this forum. Ok, that's pushing it, there are some pretty seasoned power users here too. But you get the idea.

    I remember the Dell Streak, and I never had the envy that you describe. In fact, I actually burst out laughing the first time I saw someone use it. I guess I'd compare it to Katniss from the Hunger Games visiting the Capitol- they don't realize how ridiculous their styles are because they are so steeped in them.

    Look, I get why large screens exist. Heck, my kids like big screen phones. That's because they aren't phones to them, but rather mini tablets. They have backpacks and purses to put them in, and don't need to actually have it on them to use as often as I do. They play games and text and watch movies (only time they get used as a phone is when we call them). I have a 7" tablet I enjoy using immensely for that sort of thing, and I want a phone with the same power but much smaller to keep on me. If I need to use two hands to use my phone, that's already a usability FAIL. If I can't easily fish it out of a pocket in a sitting position, that's another. Heck, I used to be able to sit down without feeling the phone in my pocket, which is more than I can say of any phone in the last couple of years. I'm constantly taking my larger phones out and leaving them on my desk because its annoying to carry on me. What's the point of a super powerful device that you don't have on you? I had to buy my wife a smartwatch that vibrates on incoming calls because she'll literally leave her phone in another room in the house rather than keep it on her, and always miss calls. We both have pretty active lifestyles, and keeping a large phone on our person doesn't fit into that.

    At the end of the day, a large screen device is great for someone who plans to actually sit down and give their phone all their attention (watch a movie, for example). But I need to multitask using my phone with moving around in the real world. I have a bigger device for those moments I want a big gaming or video watching device. There is no danged good reason for there not to be small screen phones in addition to large screened ones.
    Except for one: Marketing. See, the kind of person who associates a large screen with the power of the device is also the kind of person who will purchase phones more often. I invest in a device and keep it until there is a compelling reason to move on. For example, the Galaxy S5 wasn't enough of an upgrade from the 4 for me to move on, and then the 6 actually removed the battery and card slot, so I considered it a downgrade. When devices started offering more RAM and chips significantly more powerful, I started eyeing LG as my upgrades from then on.

    But... I actually needed to dig out an F3 to use as a backup for something (a 4" ICS device), and I realized how much I missed something I can palm. I wished that the specs didn't suck on it. I would gladly carry a phone that size around with me versus the more modern phones I'm using. The battery would last forever in that thing because the screen requires so little power. Reception and call quality are great too (Sometimes on my larger ZTE phone, callers can't hear me when I shoulder the phone because the mic isn't pointing towards my mouth. FAIL). But the phone is a dog at just about anything beyond basic calls/text/email and VERY light gaming. This makes me sad... but I digress, have totally stolen the topic of the thread, I'm sorry OP!

    Tl;dr- I have big phones now and miss smaller screen phones. The larger ones don't really fit into the way my wife and I go about our day. But the smaller ones are too slow, so there's nothing out there for us.
    The big ones are more common BECAUSE CONSUMERISM. Not because they are better. End rant.
    You seem to be stuck in the stone ages, regardless of how much you've done on XDA. I used to live on XDA, rooting phones and flashing ROMs hourly. No big deal.

    Now you laugh if someone needs to use 2 hands for a phone? The phone has changed, it's no longer a phone. People use it more as a mini-computer these days, the use case is totally different. Why else do 99% of the population prefer larger phones?

    Even Steve Jobs said 3.5" was the perfect size for the phone, LMAO. He sure knew best didn't he?

    People like you amuse me. There are small phones available, for god knows why but they are. Plenty of options, which is good for everyone. I just shake my head when I see people bemoan larger phones... just amusing.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,057
    Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    You seem to be stuck in the stone ages, regardless of how much you've done on XDA. I used to live on XDA, rooting phones and flashing ROMs hourly. No big deal.

    Now you laugh if someone needs to use 2 hands for a phone? The phone has changed, it's no longer a phone. People use it more as a mini-computer these days, the use case is totally different. Why else do 99% of the population prefer larger phones?

    Even Steve Jobs said 3.5" was the perfect size for the phone, LMAO. He sure knew best didn't he?

    People like you amuse me. There are small phones available, for god knows why but they are. Plenty of options, which is good for everyone. I just shake my head when I see people bemoan larger phones... just amusing.
    That's fine for people who want to use it as a mini computer first and a phone second. But that's hardly 99% of people. Out of the people I work with, at least 3 out of 10 in my dept were looking for smaller handsets when it was time to upgrade, most of them just compromised and went with the larger handset despite not liking the size. Perhaps there's only a small percentage of us who actually are bothered enough to complain, but that hardly means 99% of people PREFER it. That's ridiculous.
    I haven't done any formal study or anything like that, but judging by other people who've complained on message boards and phone reviews, I'd guess that its more like 65% of people who prefer larger phones, 20% of people are indifferent or compromise for specs, and 15% who won't give in and complain like me. For phone makers, however, that means they can make a large screen handset which can justify a higher price tag, and at least 85% of people will be OK buying it, even though the users that prefer it are smaller than that. Its a marketing game, and they win at it.

    Here's why it shouldn't amuse you:
    Like your quip about Steve Jobs saying a phone should be no more than 3.5", the beauty of Android is in choice- no single design for everyone. People are different and to imply that everyone should have the same needs and wants in a mobile handset is downright silly. If you don't know what you want, Apple caters to the lowest common denominator and creates a handset that *most* average people (but not everyone) would like. But Android used to be about options- want a big phone? Sure, we got that! Want a small phone? No problemo! Want a keyboard? YUP- slider or candybar, take your pick. Want some weird dual-screen thing that clamshells like a mini laptop? Ok, we've even got one that does that! That was what I loved about it. But we lost that as soon as they started competing for the same market share- a giant slab to combat the iphone. Different strokes for different folks, otherwise Android is no better than the iFanboys.

    But I think we can both agree that this conversation is entirely out of place here, and I apologize to the OP, whom I hope got his answer already.

    Sprintleaver, this was fun man. I needed a good vent to someone who hadn't heard my rant before. I appreciate the attention, best of luck!

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,361
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ListedGuru View Post
    So will cricket send it free or charge me? Is this something I can do at a cricket store or buy a sim at bestbuy?

    Thanks.
    I don't know. You could call the Best Buy you would go to and ask. You should call Cricket to see if they charge for this. I don't know because I was lucky that my previous phone already had a micro sim and I didn't need to get a new one.

    You should call or email Cricket. If you have a Twitter account you could ask on there and they'll give you the email address, or maybe someone will chime in with it. I think they're on Facebook too.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,361
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kadi1981 View Post
    Cricket will charge you $10 for it. Folks bought a lot of $1 sims on Amazon a while ago. May be if you ask someone may be able to mail one to you for a small gift card or contact user deezit15 for free sims he is a dealer.
    Thank you for chiming in.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,057
    Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    0
    When I asked them for a micro sim last time, they wanted $9-10 for it. I bought a 3-in-1 kit for a nano card from Amazon instead for $1.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    708
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by futurephone View Post
    Thank you for chiming in.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    I have none to offer.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,361
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kadi1981 View Post
    I have none to offer.
    Lol. So isn't there already a phone number designated per sim, or does Cricket ignore their designated phone number, and automatically port the old phone number of the purchaser? I'm a bit confused by that. You have to contact Cricket to port the old number to a new phone?

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Oops, that last sentence should read: you have to contact Cricket to port the old number to a new sim?

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    708
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by futurephone View Post
    Lol. So isn't there already a phone number designated per sim, or does Cricket ignore their designated phone number, and automatically port the old phone number of the purchaser? I'm a bit confused by that. You have to contact Cricket to port the old number to a new phone?

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Oops, that last sentence should read: you have to contact Cricket to port the old number to a new sim?
    Ummm. It doesn't work like that. You have active line with Cricket. You can use any phone that works on att network provided the sim you have fits the phone. If you need to change sim you can do that too by chat or phone or online. There always has to be one sim active on the phone line. An unactivated sim card has no phone number associated with it.

    A sim bought from Cricket wireless always comes associated with a phone line. They do not sell unactivated sims.

    Amazon, Best Buy or Target sell you unactivated sims. You open the package and then go online to the website mentioned in the package to activate it - either just the sim for your current line or to port number in as a new line or to get a new number for a new line.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    108
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kadi1981 View Post
    Ummm. It doesn't work like that. You have active line with Cricket. You can use any phone that works on att network provided the sim you have fits the phone. If you need to change sim you can do that too by chat or phone or online. There always has to be one sim active on the phone line. An unactivated sim card has no phone number associated with it.

    A sim bought from Cricket wireless always comes associated with a phone line. They do not sell unactivated sims.

    Amazon, Best Buy or Target sell you unactivated sims. You open the package and then go online to the website mentioned in the package to activate it - either just the sim for your current line or to port number in as a new line or to get a new number for a new line.
    So I can just to to bestbuy and buy a new cricket sim and just activate that sim to my wife's life then. Sounds easy enough.

    Does anyone know if Cricket stores sell sims cheaper?

    Thanks,

    -Guru

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-03-2011, 02:23 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2008, 11:26 AM
  3. Need suggestion on a cheap phone to replace VX4500
    By AtlSupra in forum Feature Phones
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-29-2006, 11:15 AM
  4. Need suggestion on a cheap phone to replace VX4500
    By AtlSupra in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-28-2006, 02:13 PM
  5. Recommendations on what phone to replace 7610?
    By nlpamg in forum Symbian/S60
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 02:47 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks