Thread: Safelink BYOP/Smartphone: CDMA or GSM LTE sim card?

Carrier(s)
    Google Voice
    Feedback Score

Safelink BYOP/Smartphone: CDMA or GSM LTE sim card?

On Facebook Safelink says BYOP phones must be compatible with CDMA LTE sim cards. But Tracfone says their BYOP/Smartphones are compatible with ATT, T-mobile and Verizon unlocked phones. See here. (I am in Seattle.)

ATT is GSM, T-mobile is GSM, Verizon is CDMA (but I don't think they use SIM cards.)

So did Safelink post the wrong information about CDMA compatible SIM Cards, or do they differ from Tracfone and only accept Verizon unlocked phones with a special SIM card?

Or, third option, is there a special SIM card that converts my GSM phone into a CDMA phone?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Verizon uses a SIM card to access their LTE network. Once Verizon shuts down their CDMA network, Verizon will be LTE SIM only.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I believe Safelink meant to say to access Verizon LTE, you must have a Verizon LTE phone, meaning it has a SIM card slot for the LTE SIM card from Tracfone/Safelink. LTE refers to Data only, not Voice, at this time. When Verizon goes LTE only, then it will be Voice over LTE (VoLTE).

Carrier(s)
    Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply.

What I'm asking is will the GSM smartphones work with Safelink for the Smartphone/BYOP plans (with GSM LTE SIM card of course)? Tracfone says yes. I don't know about Safelink. They may require a CDMA network for LTE to work.

I have Safelink now but am using a GSM dumb phone over 3G. I have an old GSM Android sitting around that I want to try on Safelink's network. It doesn't take the large SIM cards from the dumb phone so I can't just pop it in and try it.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gggirlgeek View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

What I'm asking is will the GSM smartphones work with Safelink for the Smartphone/BYOP plans (with GSM LTE SIM card of course)? Tracfone says yes. I don't know about Safelink. They may require a CDMA network for LTE to work.

I have Safelink now but am using a GSM dumb phone over 3G. I have an old GSM Android sitting around that I want to try on Safelink's network. It doesn't take the large SIM cards from the dumb phone so I can't just pop it in and try it.
    Only a Tracfone Smartphone SIM is unlocked and can be moved. A SIM in a Tracfone feature phone is locked to that phone and cannot ever be moved. The Tracfone BYOP SIM`s are also unlocked. You must match SIM size and also provider compatibility. Some smartphones depicted as unlocked may actually not have all the bands present for use. Smartphone compatibility gets very complicated. People here at HOFO can be of help to you with compatibility, if you post enough phone details.

Safelink and Tracfone have identical function, what applies to Tracfone applies to Safelink. Most of the Tracfone branded GSM smartphones are for AT&T only (some are 3G only and some are also LTE capable). All Tracfone AT&T SIM cards, specifically from a branded SMARTphone or BYOP kit, are LTE capable in addition to standard 3G.

Carrier(s)
    Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Got my answers. See here. Everything worked out fine. Thanks for the reply.