Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pretend I'm ignorant. Teach me the "new line" scam

Carrier(s)
    H2O
    Feedback Score

Pretend I'm ignorant. Teach me the "new line" scam

No need to pretend. I have no idea how to accomplish this. Tell me like you were telling a 4-year-old.

1. log in
    2. add a line?
    3. purchase new bargain phone w/ $30 plan?

then somehow I cancel the new line and swap the new phone onto my existing line/number?

Don't be afraid to oversimplify, talk down to me, or seem condescending. I can take it.

Feedback Score
    Don't think there is a "scam". You have to sign up a new line to get the discounted phones, so you will be spending $30 or so whether you want to use it or not.

However, if you have a current line that you don't care to lose the number, then cancel that line, and sign up for the new line... you'll be no better or worse off in this scenario.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    actually it is as simple as you stated. But to make it cheaper I would activate the new add-a-line (with new device purchase) late in your group cycle. So if you renewal is on 12/15, then activate on 12/10-12. That way you are only charged the prorated days of service on the cheapest plan for a few days. The $30 for service you paid up front shows up as a credit for your group account. If the prorated service for first cycle is $5 then you get to keep $25 in the account for covering charges on your other lines. I would cancel the new line before the end of the cycle so that you are not autopaying for the new line for another cycle. Then remove the sim and put the sim from your existing line in your new phone.

Feedback Score
    Start a brand new account and pay 30 for the new line and let it die. Best way. No work required. Don't choose auto pay.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Deezit15 View Post
    Start a brand new account and pay 30 for the new line and let it die. Best way. No work required. Don't choose auto pay.
    ^^ This and as a bonus you can get $50 in gift cards ($25 each Rewards account) plus the recent eBay gift card for $25... $75 total.

Carrier(s)
    H2O
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, folks. I think I have a handle on this now.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thefisch View Post
    actually it is as simple as you stated. But to make it cheaper I would activate the new add-a-line (with new device purchase) late in your group cycle. So if you renewal is on 12/15, then activate on 12/10-12. That way you are only charged the prorated days of service on the cheapest plan for a few days. The $30 for service you paid up front shows up as a credit for your group account. If the prorated service for first cycle is $5 then you get to keep $25 in the account for covering charges on your other lines. I would cancel the new line before the end of the cycle so that you are not autopaying for the new line for another cycle. Then remove the sim and put the sim from your existing line in your new phone.
    Sorry I'm still confused. I have one line and don't want to lose my number. Let's say I want to purchase a new 5s for $79. I pay $79 + $30 + tax. Now I have 2 lines in one account. Can I cancel the new line and receive credit on the account toward the first line? Or I only receive account credit if I cancel my first line? I don't want to cancel the first line because I need that number. My new cycle starts jan 3. Autopay kicks in on 28th. I get billed in 1st or 2nd of every month. I will want to unlock but figure I can do that later on my first line by upgrading/downgrading to $70 plan.

Feedback Score
    I have a 5 line group plan .I would like to replace one of my phones with one of the promotional deals thatrequires a new activation. The 5th number is expendable (so I guess that I don have to port out and back via T-mobile). I do not want to cancel service on that line until I receive the new phone. BTW my service renewed on about a week ago.Can I do this and get the service added back to my 5 line group plan ?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    Yes but the upfront service cost of that 5th line is $30. Free if you cancel the 5th line before billing month end and add new line after new billing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwfreak View Post
    Sorry I'm still confused. I have one line and don't want to lose my number. Let's say I want to purchase a new 5s for $79. I pay $79 + $30 + tax. Now I have 2 lines in one account. Can I cancel the new line and receive credit on the account toward the first line? Or I only receive account credit if I cancel my first line? I don't want to cancel the first line because I need that number. My new cycle starts jan 3. Autopay kicks in on 28th. I get billed in 1st or 2nd of every month. I will want to unlock but figure I can do that later on my first line by upgrading/downgrading to $70 plan.
    When you pay for the new line of service it gets credited as $30 to your group account. When you activate 2nd line, you are charged against that credit the prorated portion of the first month service. Obviously the closer to Jan 3rd you activate the smaller the charge is. You need to cancel the 2nd line before the end of the cycle so that you don't autopay for a new month of service on that line.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    When you pay for the new line of service it gets credited as $30 to your group account. When you activate 2nd line, you are charged against that credit the prorated portion of the first month service. Obviously the closer to Jan 3rd you activate the smaller the charge is. You need to cancel the 2nd line before the end of the cycle so that you don't autopay for a new month of service on that line.
    Okay thanks. I think I understand now. So I want to activate the line and cancel it prior to my autopay date.

1. How does one cancel a line on group plan? Can this be done online or do you need to call or chat? Obviously you can't simply turn off autopay on the account and not pay because it will affect your first line also.

2. How about this? Can you order the second line with phone then just never activate the new sim? This way you get the $30 credit to your account but you never activate the second sim. You install your original sim in the new phone and keep $30 in credit toward first line. My only concern with this is getting the 5s unlocked through cricket if the sim that shipped with the phone was never activated.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwfreak View Post
    Okay thanks. I think I understand now. So I want to activate the line and cancel it prior to my autopay date.

1. How does one cancel a line on group plan? Can this be done online or do you need to call or chat? Obviously you can't simply turn off autopay on the account and not pay because it will affect your first line also.

2. How about this? Can you order the second line with phone then just never activate the new sim? This way you get the $30 credit to your account but you never activate the second sim. You install your original sim in the new phone and keep $30 in credit toward first line. My only concern with this is getting the 5s unlocked through cricket if the sim that shipped with the phone was never activated.
    Someone else can chime on the cancel, but you can always port the number out. Get a cheap sim from h20 or tmobile where you don't have to fund the account. Are you can always chat with cricket CS and have them cancel the line.

If you want to unlock the phone, you may be better upgrading to the $70 plan late in your cycle (to minimize proration) and request unlock code before you cancel/port out. That way you have it right away. I have gotten them unlocked after 6 months but those were phones that I had purchased from cricket and used that line for 6 months. Not sure if they would honor the 6 month policy if the phone is used on another cricket line. I think someone posted in another thread that they were able to do that - IIRC only checked how long the IMEI for that phone has been active. A third option may be an unlock service but I haven't had to deal with those.

Feedback Score
    Not sure if they would honor the 6 month policy if the phone is used on another cricket line. I think someone posted in another thread that they were able to do that - IIRC only checked how long the IMEI for that phone has been active.
    I expressly don't think anyone has been able to get an unlock code from Cricket on the basis of time, after abandoning the line. You don't have to use the phone (although they can check current IMEI activity) but you do need to use the SIM.

Right now, I'm using my old SIM in my new phone while I wait until the end of my billing cycle to activate the new SIM. If I didn't care about the $40 I've prepaid, or if I wanted to keep my old line, I wouldn't need to activate the new SIM/line.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by afblangley View Post
    I expressly don't think anyone has been able to get an unlock code from Cricket on the basis of time, after abandoning the line. You don't have to use the phone (although they can check current IMEI activity) but you do need to use the SIM.

Right now, I'm using my old SIM in my new phone while I wait until the end of my billing cycle to activate the new SIM. If I didn't care about the $40 I've prepaid, or if I wanted to keep my old line, I wouldn't need to activate the new SIM/line.
    For the $10 LG X Power I was thinking to add a line to my current account, get the $30 credit toward the account (I only have 1 line). Just never activate the new sim that ships with the phone. That way the new line is never activated. Can Cricket still bill you for an inactive 2nd line? I am hoping the $30 credit will be used for my 1st line since I never officially activated the 2nd line. Unlock codes are advertised on ebay for $3 for the cricket x power. If those codes work then I wouldn't have to worry about asking cricket to unlock the X Power whether after 6 months on my current line or by doing upgrade/downgrade to $70 plan on my current line. Remember I never activated the new line.

On the other hand, if I purchase an iPhone 5s I would do the same thing but a little more worried about getting the 5s unlocked since those are harder to do without cricket's help. Some have reported being able to request unlock for iPhone 5s via ATT's website but not sure I trust that to work. I don't want to be stuck with a locked 5s so probably safer just to pay the extra $30 for the iphone and then upgrading to $70 plan and request unlock then cancel the new line.

I'm just trying not to waste $30 on a line that I don't need and save money on the device. Obviously a $10 X Power is much more appealing than a $40 X Power. Same with 5s. $80 vs $110.

I guess I'm also worried that Cricket somehow flags the IMEI for new lines vs upgrade device and blocks the device (especially iphone) from working until the new line is activated. I've had no problem using newly purchased cricket phones with my old sim and never activating the new sim, but that is when I purchased the device as an "upgrade my phone" option, not as a "new activation".
    Last edited by bmwfreak; 12-12-2016 at 09:33 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast