Thread: Best Buy iPhone 7

Feedback Score

Best Buy iPhone 7

Can anyone confirm that Best Buy sells only the A1660 model even if you are on AT&T?

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nevets1 View Post
    Can anyone confirm that Best Buy sells only the A1660 model even if you are on AT&T?
    Yes, Qualcomm model for use on all networks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone Xs Max , At&t Unlimited Plus Austin, TX .................... Grande 1000/50, $69.99/month

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nucleartx View Post
    Yes, Qualcomm model for use on all networks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Will they even put the Qualcomm version on the Next payment plan?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Will they even put the Qualcomm version on the Next payment plan?
    Yep, it's the only one they sell.

Sent from my SM-G930U using HoFo mobile app

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Feedback Score
    Best Buy only sells one version, the one with the Qualcomm chip (Verizon/Sprint), for inventory purposes. We have a thread or two on that. The phone becomes locked after you first put in the SIM, so don't put in T-mobile if you want it locked to AT&T. If you can install a Verizon SIM the phone will be unlocked, but I don't know if it needs to be an active SIM card.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    Best Buy only sells one version, the one with the Qualcomm chip (Verizon/Sprint), for inventory purposes. We have a thread or two on that. The phone becomes locked after you first put in the SIM, so don't put in T-mobile if you want it locked to AT&T. If you can install a Verizon SIM the phone will be unlocked, but I don't know if it needs to be an active SIM card.
    Thank you!

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:

This specifically pertains to in-store.

If you order online, I'm not sure if you sometimes get the Qualcomm version, or never. However, when my family received them (3 lines), they were not the Qualcomm version.

Feedback Score
    So I purchased it from Best Buy (Qualcomm version) and put my AT&T SIM card in it. Now I want to switch to Verizon unlimited plan but can't pay off the phone for 2 billing cycles.

My question is what if I just port my number out canceling my account forcing me to pay the balance of my phone off. Will it be unlocked to use on Verizon right away?

Feedback Score
    So I purchased it from Best Buy (Qualcomm version) and put my AT&T SIM card in it. Now I want to switch to Verizon unlimited plan but can't pay off the phone for 2 billing cycles.

My question is what if I just port my number out canceling my account forcing me to pay the balance of my phone off. Will it be unlocked to use on Verizon right away?
    The phone should already be unlocked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    The phone should already be unlocked.
    That's what I was assuming but was not sure it "automatically locked" to AT&T since I put my AT&T SIM card in there right away.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The phone is now locked to Att. The phone was sold unlocked until you activated it with Att

Sent from my SM-G935V using HoFo mobile app
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    iPhone XR 128 GB white ( sim free)
    Carrier(s)
    Visible Mobile $25
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    The phone is now locked to Att. The phone was sold unlocked until you activated it with Att

Sent from my SM-G935V using HoFo mobile app
    True. Best Buy iPhone is different from Apple Store on Verizon model, you need Verizon SIM to put in the very first time you turn on iPhone to get it 100% unlocked. I knew this from Best Buy employee that sold iPhone 7 on launch week last September when it's very difficult to get hold on Verizon iPhone cause Apple won't sell to public that don't have Verizon account. You must put Verizon SIM as first SIM when turn on first time, it's different from iPhone you bought from Apple Store that are unlocked fully from factory. I don't know much of reason why, it's Best Buy policy I think.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    Or just buy the SIM free model from Apple.
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I had heard that once unlocked, like from the factory, an iPhone could not be re-locked. But I've been hearing lots of folks confirming that this is indeed the case. Buy unlocked, put in a GSM SIM card, and the phone locks to that carrier instantly. That blows!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    I had heard that once unlocked, like from the factory, an iPhone could not be re-locked. But I've been hearing lots of folks confirming that this is indeed the case. Buy unlocked, put in a GSM SIM card, and the phone locks to that carrier instantly. That blows!!
    No, iPhones can not be relocked once they are unlocked. The Best Buy phones are sold unlocked, BUT, They will lock to the carrier of the first SIM the phone is activated with (except Verizon postpaid). Unlocking is done by Apple through their servers at the request of a carrier. Once that carrier request is completed by Apple, the phone is permanently unlocked.