Thread: Does the 6 require a diff. lightning cable than 5s

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Does the 6 require a diff. lightning cable than 5s

I have a 5s and the cable that came with it (it's unmarked) an Amazon Basics Cable, an Anker cable.

Anyway, I bought a used 6, every cable I try will not let me connect to iTunes saying "not compatible/certified" (or whatever). It will however charge from the Anker cable.

Is my problem with the phone or with the cable?

thanks

Feedback Score
    The lightning cable needed by both phones is the same. I think the issue is with the cable, but honestly have no idea one way or the other.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score

Does the 6 require a diff. lightning cable than 5s

Get a real Apple cable from target. Cheap cables sometimes destroy a $500 iPhone 5S or a $1000 iphone 7. Apple is suing Amazon over fake cables that are dangerous and sometimes won't stop charging and potentially causing a fire hazard.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone SE , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    IME cheap cables just aren't worth the bucks you save; you spend it in aggravation. You don't have to buy an Apple-brand cable; there are some other good brands out there, like NewerTech. Just make sure it's "MFi Certified". Those cables won't scorch your $$$ iDevice.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    I've bought 3rd party ones in the past. Normally, for the reasons of having a longer cable than the normal Apple one. Useful when at a hotel, for instance.

More likely to, at some point in the year, to get a little flakey. Maybe not charge when plugged in one way, but charge the other.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    iphone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Purchase a MIFI certified cables from any retailer other than Amazon or ebay (because of the reason listed above). I purchased at Sam's Club a MIFI certified cable which is 2 ft longer than longer Apple cable.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    I'll keep that in mind the next time I buy. I still haven't used the last 2 I ordered from amazon.

Luckily, I finally upgraded my iPad a year ago so I don't have to carry 2 different types of cables with me when I'm away from home.

Which probably means that Apple will decide to follow the crowd the next time I buy a phone and go with the new thing, the USB-C connector. I don't replace all my apple products all at once. Laptops 4+ years. Desktop, I went 8 years. iPads about 3 years. Phones, 2 years.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I just put a spring around where it meets the phone, this way it won't go south that easy. In the past I didn't do that, all mine have gone south.