Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need a New Phone for Mom, she's never used a Smart Phone...

Device(s)
    LG VX10000 Voyager
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Question Need a New Phone for Mom, she's never used a Smart Phone...

Hey everyone,

I think its finally about time my mom get a smart phone. I've been slowly transitioning her off flip phones.

I normally purchase the top of the line Android on the market, but that is a bit overkill for both features and the money.

She is not savvy when it comes to technology. The majority of usage will be for, get this, talking on the phone She now text, thanks to her QWERTY keyboard phone. I think she'll start using the camera so she can send family photos to other family members. A nice bonus will if we can start using video chat.

I've exclusively used Android phones, so I'm a bit biased towards those, but I'm not opposed to an Apple phone.

Which current Verizon phone would be best for her that is easy to use and is budget-friendly.

Lastly, she has to stay with Verizon as no other provide works in her hometown. So a contract isn't out of the question for her, if that's possible. I do not want to be under contract as I live in a big city and want the flexibility to easily switch carriers. Or we can go the "rent-to-own" plans as well.

Thanks in advance! Cheers.

Device(s)
    Samsung Rant (M540)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I'm partial to LG Vista I believe they have a prepaid phone on Verizon that might be an option for her. You wouldn't have to worry about data overages.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    iPhone 7

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZ
    Feedback Score
    It depends on whether you want postpaid or prepaid. If you are willing to work postpaid, then the current $10 promotion on flagship phones can't be beat. You can pick either iOS or Android.

If you are doing prepaid - then the LG phone mentioned above or the Moto G play. You cant take a new prepaid phone and put it on a post paid plan until you meet their requirements.

Other options would be a pre-owned phone or one that you have lying around.

Device(s)
    LG VX10000 Voyager
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone.

@comk4ver Thanks. I'll take a look at the LG Vista. We're on a post-paid plan, I think the XL plan. All of which is for me, since she doesn't have a phone that uses data. I highly doubt she'd ever need to worry about overage, no FB account :P

@cctraderx, are you referring to pre-paid & post-paid cellphone plans, I assume?

We're on a postpaid plan. I've seen the $10 promotion, but that requires turning in an applicable phone, which she does not have. I however, do have an LG G4.

It sounds like you meant to say "You can take a..."

Pre-owned phone may be an option. The last phone I had was a Droid Bionic, and I had to turn it in, in order to get the LG G4.

Feedback Score
    I think I would put her on the boom mobile service and whatever is the cheapest smartphone they will provide. They have plans for $20 per month. I can't recommend people look into other services other than Verizon because they're super expensive but I understand some places there are no other choices. Boom mobile uses Verizon towers. For yourself I would recommend taking a peek at Sprint and their current offerings period hope that helps. Just do not get an LG G4 that one had manufacturer defects. Personally I think I found something and allergies and Motorola's. No iPhones. LOL

Sent from my SM-N910P using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Go ios less learning curve..

Device(s)
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Inpulse ($40 Unlimited Talk/Text, 4 GB Data, plus Carryover Data
    Feedback Score
    Name:  20161218_061928.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  48.9 KB
    Name:  20161218_061736-1.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  47.1 KB
    I have an Verizon S5 with pink and black otterbox for sale

Device(s)
    Samsung Rant (M540)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Maybe start her off with a Samsung Continum... It's a not so smart smart phone.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    iOS all the way. No fuzz, and thing just works. Then have her go to an Apple Store so she can learn how to use it.
    °(((=((===°°°(((================================================

Feedback Score
    I feel android ials more straight fowerd and a better platform. It has sinple mode.

Sent from my SM-N910P using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbudha View Post
    Go ios less learning curve..
    I don't find ten cents worth of difference between Apple and Android for basic phone use.

An iPhone is hardly a good recommendation for a low to moderate priced phone.

I would recommend a Moto G 4. The unlocked version can be used on any carrier. The Verizon locked version can be had for ~$30 on sale.

Whatever phone you get, I recommend setting up the home screen with just the few apps they will frequently use. The rest can be removed or put on side screens. It's less confusing that way. On Android, I would also disable all the junk apps so they don't pop up and nag to use them.

Feedback Score
    If you go android, make sure your device doesn't blow up. Be very very cautious in public places and keep track of the temperature.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Would it be reasonable to add her to your account @ $20/mo for the extra line ? If not, Boom mobile is an easy choice - do auto pay.

Boom would be $20/mo for UL T&T, 250 MB data. Since she uses the phone to mainly Talk, tracfone is probably not a good choice.

Phone choices - Moto G play, Samsung non-flagship smartphones should work.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Another vote for an iPhone here. They're just so easy to use, especially the basics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast