Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need some help from someone who understands UMTS/WCDMA/etc

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    When I put my rooted 4G LTE GSM phone in WCDMA-only mode, I am still able to make calls. Signal app report HSPA data network/UMTS voice network.
    Yeah well that's the thing, I know UMTS/WCDMA supports voice and that by rights any phone should be able to do voice over 3G, what I'm wondering is if it's legally required, and if not what are the chances of not doing it. This phone is from back at the end of Nokia's life when they didn't really know what they were doing anymore, right before MS ate them. It has a lot of strange quirks and stuff that doesn't make sense, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out it does something stupid re: voice/txt routing.

Feedback Score
    Maybe you can find an engineer at Nokia that can answer some of these questions ?

Feedback Score
    Well, MS ate them for the patents- all the engineers were fired or jumped ship so there isn't really anyone to ask anymore. I wasn't expecting anyone here to know the details of this phone specifically, I'm more wondering if there were any anecdotes or community knowledge of phones that were stupid about this, and to what extent I need to worry.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5/5x, iPhone 3GS through 5s, iPhone 7+, etc.
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, VZW, AT&T, Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by centum_calicate View Post
    Well, MS ate them for the patents- all the engineers were fired or jumped ship so there isn't really anyone to ask anymore. I wasn't expecting anyone here to know the details of this phone specifically, I'm more wondering if there were any anecdotes or community knowledge of phones that were stupid about this, and to what extent I need to worry.
    I think a phone that drops down from UMTS to GSM for voice calls is unheard of. Nonetheless, if you remove the phone's battery, there should be a sticker in there with the phone's model number (and other information). With the model number, this discussion could get more specific (and maybe more certain).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2