Thread: As of today, which would you choose?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Motion
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

As of today, which would you choose?

Just entered a competition elsewhere (if you're a BlackBerry user you probably already know about it) where the prize is any current BlackBerry of your choice (Leap, Classic, Passport, SE, Priv, DTEK50, and DTEK 60 - I had to check that the Classic was included as it's been EOL for a while, it is).

So the obvious question is: Which one would you choose and why?

I know the answer for most of you would be fairly easy but I'm having a bit of a tough time with it so first are the ones I wouldn't choose:

a) Classic. By the time the Classic came out I was bored of the form factor, I'd been using a similarly styled device for years and was unimpressed with the eventual specs of the device that should have been the first BB10 device to be launched, it came far too late;

b) Passport. I bought my current PP at launch and while technically the best device I've ever used for my needs it has also been the most glitchiest with varying degrees of crashiness; I think the PP was put on this earth to simultaneously infuriate and beguile me;

c) Priv. Never liked portrait sliders and never will. The keyboard annoyingly mirrors those found on earlier Curves with little or no tactile feed back. Plus the KB is too narrow meaning my chubby thumbs would crash into each other on a regular basis;

d) DTEK50. Just not impressive enough to take a chance of jumping to Android for, I still think that BB10 is the most user friendly, logical and comfortable OS on the market today despite its flaws and a device will need to be pretty darn special for me to make the switch to another OS. The DTEK50 just isn't special enough I'm afraid.

So, those are the devices I WOULDN'T choose from. Here are the devices I WOULD:

a) Passport SE. It's familiar but different enough from the regular Passport to make it feel like a new device. There are apparently technical differences but I'll be damned if I know what they are, but from a styling point of view it's fresher than my current PP and its screen doesn't have a massive crack down the middle of it which kinda helps;

b) DTEK60. I've been Jonesin' for a full touch device since I gave my Z30 to my wife when I got my Passport. BB's virtual KB is without doubt one of the best, if not the best, on the market and the specs and recent improvements to the hub on the DTEK60 make it the first to reasonably tempt me to the dark side. Is it enough? No idea;

c) Leap. Yes, I know this might not be anyone else's choice but I had one for a while and loved it. The specs aren't great but they're perfect for how I use a device 99% of the time. As I said earlier, I would love to go back to a full touch phone and have it running BB10 would be ideal!

So, there you have it. Would love to know your thoughts as to which you would choose and why. No need to go into as much depth as I have, I'm stuck at home with a massive cold and bored out of my skull!
    Last edited by Mann Incognito; 12-29-2016 at 10:35 AM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Mann Incognito View Post
    Just entered a competition elsewhere (if you're a BlackBerry user you probably already know about it) where the prize is any current BlackBerry of your choice (Leap, Classic, Passport, SE, Priv, DTEK50, and DTEK 60 - I had to check that the Classic was included as it's been EOL for a while, it is).
    DTEK60, because it's the closest thing to a Z30, which, in my humble opinion was the best BB10 device ever made.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Motion
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rustybronco View Post
    DTEK60, because it's the closest thing to a Z30, which, in my humble opinion was the best BB10 device ever made.
    I think you're correct about the Z30, there was just something about that phone. Technically, it's just not as good as the Passport but where that device is all business the Z30 had a certain cheekiness about how it did things. When I use my PP it feels like work, not so with the Z30.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have both the Passport and Classic.
    At first, I regretted getting the Classic but it works out nicely since it's more compact, yet it fulfills the same purpose of the Passport without the bulk of it. I didn't find the Priv appealing for the same reasons like the crammed keyboard but mainly I didn't feel compelled to get another Android since I already have a Samsung Galaxy S7. The same goes for the DTEK 50 or 60, I don't need another Android device. For Z30, well I already have a touch screen only device..two of them.

Granted that the specs on the Classic aren't impressive but I need a compact phone sometimes, considering that I already have an iPhone 6S Plus and Galaxy S7 on me. If I need specs then the iPhone 6S Plus has it.

Device(s)
    Zed 30, Z10, 9900, 9780, 8530, W995a, u8a, w508, w980, w380a and a few Z710s
    Carrier(s)
    au revoir Robbers... bonjour Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    if my AT&T passport ever died, I'd go for the SE, no quesiton.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Passport
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If you are already an Android user and you are heavily in the Google ecosystem, if may make sense to choose one of the BlackBerry android devices.

If it were me--and it's not, but if it were--I would select any Passport. I think the Passport is brilliant and it is still a great device even today. I have purchased backup devices, and I would welcome the opportunity to have additional backup. But that's me.
    - Ira

Device(s)
    Z10, Bold, Galaxy S8
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If it were up to me, I would choose either a Leap because it is similar to Z10 which I still use, either Passport because I like that screen and am still involved in the Blackberry ecosystem, or any of the Android Blackberry devices because I also use many apps on Android as well.

Device(s)
    Note 8, LG Xpression 2
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity, Tracphone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I would get the Classic if I had to get one of them. I ended up going back to a 9900 because I wanted a basic phone to just bang text on. I have another line and switch between the Zmax Pro and Iphone SE. I just want a phone that can make calls and do the casual internet browsing. I can also use the Spotify on it. The funny thing is that security is so outdated on the phone that Google will not let me put my gmail email on it. Also the phone is one of the last to have old Tmobile bands that are not used anymore. The phone only gets EDGE and not any 4G on it. Thanks to the ATT 2G shutdown I do not have the problem of roaming and being locked out of network in certain areas anymore. I use to have an ATT Q10 that was unlocked but I could not get WiFi calling to work on it. I got the 9900 for $25 on Ebay and bought it on a whim. I always wanted to get the 9900 but, it was the most expensive phone Tmobile had in the lineup back in the day.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So, I would go for the DTEK60

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Motion
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Oh man, I can't believe I'm seriously considering the Leap! I'm Jonesin' for the BB10 full touch experience again and now knowing for sure there will be no new BB10 devices in the future but the OS will be supported for a long while yet, I just feel that, perhaps, now's the time to jump (no pun intended!) on a Leap. The specs don't concern me, they'll be more than enough to handle how I will use the device, but I do find something very 'sexy' about a full touch BB10.

Still, the final running is still the Passport SE, DTEK60, and the leap for me.

Device(s)
    Blackberry KEYone, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    As of today I'd pick the DTEK60 because even if I don't like it I could sell it for a higher price than the other options.

With that said though as a phone I'd take the Classic or either version of the Passport as well. Just an awesome experience from typing to browsing and navigating.
    Freedom Mobile Promo Everywhere 50
    8gb LTE data/Canada & US Calling &Roaming/Global SMS/Call Display/Voicemail

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Motion
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ECBomb View Post
    As of today I'd pick the DTEK60 because even if I don't like it I could sell it for a higher price than the other options.

With that said though as a phone I'd take the Classic or either version of the Passport as well. Just an awesome experience from typing to browsing and navigating.
    In the end I was leaning toward the DTEK60 too, simply because of its value as a brand new unlocked Android device. It's all moot really because I didn't win! Anyhow, the competition and weighing up of all the devices available reminded me what it is about BlackBerry that I absolutely love.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Passport
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If the Passport was faster and had higher version of Android, it'd be my first pick. Otherwise, I would probably choose the DTEK60.
    The Passport SE suffered some serious design and build quality issues. Sure maybe the frame is supposed to be a bit stronger and the keys smoother, but everything else that is made out of plastic is worse than the original (thinner, more easily scratched or dented).

My ideal BlackBerry? Give me DTEK60 specs in a Passport SE style body with the durability of the original Passport.
    Motorola DPC 550, Mitsubishi G310, Panasonic A102, Motorola V60, Sony Ericsson W200, Sony Ericsson C510a, Motorola XT502, HTC Desire V, LG Optimus L9, Samsung T159, LG G2, Huawei U2801, BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry Passport SE (short lived), BlackBerry Passport (White), BlackBerry DTEK60 (short lived), BlackBerry Priv, Essential Phone.

Device(s)
    Huawei P30 Pro 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    VodaCom
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Mann Incognito View Post

So the obvious question is: Which one would you choose and why?

I know the answer for most of you would be fairly easy but I'm having a bit of a tough time with it so first are the ones I wouldn't choose:

a) Classic. By the time the Classic came out I was bored of the form factor, I'd been using a similarly styled device for years and was unimpressed with the eventual specs of the device that should have been the first BB10 device to be launched, it came far too late;

b) Passport. I bought my current PP at launch and while technically the best device I've ever used for my needs it has also been the most glitchiest with varying degrees of crashiness; I think the PP was put on this earth to simultaneously infuriate and beguile me;

c) Priv. Never liked portrait sliders and never will. The keyboard annoyingly mirrors those found on earlier Curves with little or no tactile feed back. Plus the KB is too narrow meaning my chubby thumbs would crash into each other on a regular basis;

d) DTEK50. Just not impressive enough to take a chance of jumping to Android for, I still think that BB10 is the most user friendly, logical and comfortable OS on the market today despite its flaws and a device will need to be pretty darn special for me to make the switch to another OS. The DTEK50 just isn't special enough I'm afraid.

So, those are the devices I WOULDN'T choose from. Here are the devices I WOULD:

a) Passport SE. It's familiar but different enough from the regular Passport to make it feel like a new device. There are apparently technical differences but I'll be damned if I know what they are, but from a styling point of view it's fresher than my current PP and its screen doesn't have a massive crack down the middle of it which kinda helps;

b) DTEK60. I've been Jonesin' for a full touch device since I gave my Z30 to my wife when I got my Passport. BB's virtual KB is without doubt one of the best, if not the best, on the market and the specs and recent improvements to the hub on the DTEK60 make it the first to reasonably tempt me to the dark side. Is it enough? No idea;

c) Leap. Yes, I know this might not be anyone else's choice but I had one for a while and loved it. The specs aren't great but they're perfect for how I use a device 99% of the time. As I said earlier, I would love to go back to a full touch phone and have it running BB10 would be ideal!

So, there you have it. Would love to know your thoughts as to which you would choose and why. No need to go into as much depth as I have, I'm stuck at home with a massive cold and bored out of my skull!
    DTEK60 due to latest hardware, it will be the best go between Blackberry and Modern Android Smartphone.

via Galaxy S7 Edge +128GB MicroSDXC
    Samsung GALAXY Note 4 32GB +128GB MicroSDXC Charcoal Black
    Apple iPad 4 WIFI+4G LTE 16GB White
    "World can't hold me, too much ambition."Jay-Z

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key 2, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway, Moto Z2 Force w/ Keyboard Mod
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    As of yesterday, I've been using my BlackBerry Priv for a full year. And it's STILL the phone I would choose, as it's the best smartphone I've ever used for what I want and need in a smartphone.

But as always, Your Mileage May Vary.
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...