Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is it just me?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crux57 View Post
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner!!!

I have 6 lines with T-Mobile myself and 3 with Verizon. It's well known which is better for most people.
    Your comment is exactly what the subject of this thread hoped to address. You are in a T-Mobile forum stating we all should know that Verizon is a Better service.

My opinion is that "Better" is subjective. In cellular it is frequently a location based evaluation.

The fact that you use both only means it's better for you where and how you are using both.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    This is an excellent thread, as I've seen both sides of this happen in a lot of other places, too. It's mostly just the any sort of discussion on the internet turning a little nasty if there's a disagreement. I sort of feel weird about the whole argument because any of the carriers could change their products/offerings next week and one that you had might turn out to be a worse deal or you might get burned with a customer service mishap. I can see if you're a shareholder or employee of a particular company that you might want to "root" for one a bit more.

For me, I currently have AT&T has my primary carrier. I run a family plan with a few relatives so the overall cost is low - we tried T-Mobile about a year ago, but they were in an area where they only got service at their house and anything in any direction was a bit of a dead zone. Coverage and speed at my home and work were actually a bit better than with AT&T. My relatives also didn't have Band 12 devices and weren't really wanting to replace phones at that time. Due to the savings being only about $15/month, we switched back to AT&T. Do I have any ill-will or complaints about T-Mobile? Not at all - most of the issue was on our end and they have done some tremendous things in the last few years, one of which has been offering a compelling alternative to AT&T and Verizon. I sort of have the mindset that if T-Mobile works for you where you need it and you like the features, go for it. If it doesn't, consider someone else, but there's also no guarantee that if there is a T-Mobile dead spot that AT&T and Verizon will automatically be better.

I put a T-Mobile SIM in my iPad to take advantage of the Free Data for Life promo and throw a few bucks on there when I travel as an alternative option. I haven't run into many areas with bad service - they have a pretty good network. Last summer, I actually grabbed an AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint SIM card, too and tried data service all around the area where I live and work and it was fascinating to see who was better where (this was a bit of an experiment to see if we should switch our work lines somewhere else...Sprint was courting my boss pretty hard).

I have gotten asked about different carriers from friends and coworkers being the iOS geek and my general attitude has been to give a bit of a non-answer since every single one has their strengths and weaknesses, not to mention coverage may or may not work at someone's house, business, or school.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    Your comment is exactly what the subject of this thread hoped to address. You are in a T-Mobile forum stating we all should know that Verizon is a Better service.

My opinion is that "Better" is subjective. In cellular it is frequently a location based evaluation.

The fact that you use both only means it's better for you where and how you are using both.
    Exactly.

Also, by definition, it cannot be merely your "opinion" that "better" is subjective -- it is a "fact" that "better" is subjective. Literally, "better" means "more good" and since different subscribers experience "good" in different places with different carriers in different ways, there is no objective way to define "better" (or "best" for that matter).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I agree. Better for some doesn’t mean for all. Where I live, T-Mobile has by far the best coverage and speed. I had Verizon and it’s 3G at my house so it’s not always better. But I recognize it may be better in some places. But there’s also no disputing that whatever gap there is, T-Mobile has been closing it. The coverage expansion by T-Mo in the last couple of years is pretty dramatic.

As far as the trolls, it does get annoying sometimes. I think they’re just jealous they pay so much more. Maybe some of them work for Verizon; I’ve seen shills elsewhere so I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve infiltrated HoFo.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    I agree. Better for some doesn’t mean for all. Where I live, T-Mobile has by far the best coverage and speed. I had Verizon and it’s 3G at my house so it’s not always better. But I recognize it may be better in some places. But there’s also no disputing that whatever gap there is, T-Mobile has been closing it. The coverage expansion by T-Mo in the last couple of years is pretty dramatic.

As far as the trolls, it does get annoying sometimes. I think they’re just jealous they pay so much more. Maybe some of them work for Verizon; I’ve seen shills elsewhere so I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve infiltrated HoFo.
    I actually met a HoFo troll in real life. I don't want to get into the details but there was some obnoxious dude at my local mall who worked at an Authorized Dealer booth near Macy's. For a year he would call me out for the service I had and kept telling me how inferior it was when I walked by.

Turns out he was one of those one liner trolls here at HoFo that would only enter threads where people would complain of network problems or boast that he averaged 100 Mbps DL all the time on his superior network.

We had a good laugh after we found out we were both on this forum but I called him out for his 1 bar of unusable 4G service inside the mall.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    A major point now is that if a carrier stinks in one spot it doesn't mean they stink everywhere. I've run into what appears to be capacity issues with tmo(but I still admit tmo has a great network overall), while my friend in another state has almost perfect service with them. I recommended tmo to him and he loves them.

Price for 1 line can be painful for all postpaid carriers including tmo. That's one area I think all the carriers need improvements on, not just tmo. 1 line if you don't need much data is hard to justify on postpaid, even with taxes included.

I think tmo increased prices too soon and hopefully that won't continue to happen. Tmo keeps getting better and better but some carrier moves have been showing up lately (like taking away kickback). It often feels like Verizon prices now. To me that's a legitimate concern, but for the next guy that uses more data he's probably getting a bargain. In an area where TMobile is not good it prob feels like a rip-off.

We can all knock tmo on legitimate stuff (like any other carrier) but we would be hard pressed to say tmo sucks all the way around just like any other carrier. All have good and bad it just depends on if you think you are getting good value for the the price. For me I'm hard pressed to find a carrier that gives me the call quality that TMobile does.

That's why I say use the carrier that works best for each individual situation. I think TMobile jumped the gun on prices but the next guy may be super happy regardless

Slam a carrier if they deserve it but also give praise when they deserve that also. That's all any of us can do.

Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    A major point now is that if a carrier stinks in one spot it doesn't mean they stink everywhere. I've run into what appears to be capacity issues with tmo(but I still admit tmo has a great network overall), while my friend in another state has almost perfect service with them. I recommended tmo to him and he loves them.

Price for 1 line can be painful for all postpaid carriers including tmo. That's one area I think all the carriers need improvements on, not just tmo. 1 line if you don't need much data is hard to justify on postpaid, even with taxes included.

I think tmo increased prices too soon and hopefully that won't continue to happen. Tmo keeps getting better and better but some carrier moves have been showing up lately (like taking away kickback). It often feels like Verizon prices now. To me that's a legitimate concern, but for the next guy that uses more data he's probably getting a bargain. In an area where TMobile is not good it prob feels like a rip-off.

We can all knock tmo on legitimate stuff (like any other carrier) but we would be hard pressed to say tmo sucks all the way around just like any other carrier. All have good and bad it just depends on if you think you are getting good value for the the price. For me I'm hard pressed to find a carrier that gives me the call quality that TMobile does.

That's why I say use the carrier that works best for each individual situation. I think TMobile jumped the gun on prices but the next guy may be super happy regardless

Slam a carrier if they deserve it but also give praise when they deserve that also. That's all any of us can do.
    Good post. I agree.

If a carrier needs to be put into place that is fine, but to hate just to hate isn't beneficial for anyone.

I used to take it personal when a carrier did something I didn't like but it all comes down to business

The carriers make business decisions sometimes we like them sometimes we don't. If the business burns me I just wont ever use them again

Use what works and not lose sleep over it is my philosophy

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    You guys make excellent points. Our personal experiences are anecdotal and may not apply to everyone in every situation.

I try to phrase my opinions (as such) and make sure I preface my experience(s) with a mobile service for a specific area. I might have a great network experience in my area of the left coast but some guy in Bangor, ME. might have a totally different one.

I also don't like speaking in absolutes ie: "T-Mobile sucks in all rural areas," or "T-Mobile only works in the cities," because this is no longer true for everyone everywhere. I can take people to some pretty desolate areas of the Mojave Desert here in SoCal where I can connect to a Band 12 LTE site just fine.

In the end we're all human. We're opinionated and old habits/perceptions die hard. I can't change someone who simply comes into a forum to troll but I do hope I can help someone somewhere with the things I post and that makes it worth it.

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    I second that I believe Magenta raised prices too soon.

I had an epiphany while typing the prior sentence, maybe they raised prices so that they'd have room to bring them back down if a merger was approved. 🤔

It would be brilliant of Magenta if approved offered insane pricing the first 30 days thereafter.
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Or does every T-Mobile related thread (as of late) get thread crapped on by angry Verizon/AT&T customers who turn every topic into some battle over how much better Verizon/AT&T coverage is?

I try to post news related to this carrier in an effort to share information and learn from each other. Every thread gets derailed.

We could be talking about our LTE expansion, Uncarrier speculation or even T-Mobile Tuesday's. The same 3 or 4 posters jump in to let us know our service is inferior.

Is it jealousy? Envy? Short man syndrome? All of the above?

I'm not calling anyone out specifically but they know who they are. They'll probably join the conversation soon as it is.
    Mostly, I just read the forum, rarely putting in a comment.

I get really tired of the endless back and forth threads that nitpick the other person's posts to death just to score some imaginary debate society points.

Let go of it and move on!

T-Mobile impresses me because it's the one carrier that has dramatically improved in the last few years. Sprint improved too, from unusable to barely usable. But T-Mobile at my house went from needing to stand by my front window to make a call to good signal anywhere inside. AT&T still drops calls despite showing a strong signal, how have they not fixed that in the years since I last tried them?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic55 View Post
    Mostly, I just read the forum, rarely putting in a comment.

I get really tired of the endless back and forth threads that nitpick the other person's posts to death just to score some imaginary debate society points.

Let go of it and move on!

T-Mobile impresses me because it's the one carrier that has dramatically improved in the last few years. Sprint improved too, from unusable to barely usable. But T-Mobile at my house went from needing to stand by my front window to make a call to good signal anywhere inside. AT&T still drops calls despite showing a strong signal, how have they not fixed that in the years since I last tried them?
    We'll call you The Lurker: You pop in often to read our arguments but stay on the sidelines and rarely jump in the ring.

I'm guilty of some of the things you post. In truth though I never enter a debate with the goal of starting a fight and I don't try to be a **** on purpose. A couple of times I've quoted the wrong post/thread on my replies and all kinds of shenanigans commenced.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2