Phone
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score

Awful trade-in offer

I log into Verizon to check my account status, amount of data remaining, etc.

Front in center I see the Upgrade Now offer, with an estimated trade in value of $239.

No, not for some older model like the 6 or 6s. But for my 128GB 7+ model.

They make new car dealers seem generous with their trade in pricing

Happy New Year!
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Phone
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Try again, when I had my 5S, I wanted to trade in to a 6S, first it offered me $89, then a few days later, they offered me $125.

Phone
    Carrier
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Not worth the effort since I'm happy with the phone, and don't plan to do any upgrades until September 2018 or 2017, depending on whether I feel a desire to upgrade.

But coming out with an offer that I wouldn't have taken when I upgraded from my old iPhone 6 last September for a 2 year newer, nicer model?

Feedback Score
    The problem I have with these offers is they really do lowball you. Sure, you could sell it on eBay but you have to deal with buyers, and shipping, and paypal holding the money, it can be a hassle. What baffles me is this: in 2014 VZW used to offer $200 for a iPhone 4S which at the time was 3 generations old. Their offer for the 6 was huge, like 500 or so. My point being that these trade ins used to offer a lot more and I am not certain what happened.

Phone
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Folks, if the offer is too low, DON'T TAKE IT!!! That's not so hard. Of course the trade in offer is lowball. They aren't doing trade ins for your benefit. They need to make money on it to do it at all. Everybody - and I mean EVERYBODY - knows trade ins are for suckers. You can do so much better on a private sale on Swappa or any of the other dozens of places for sales.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Folks, if the offer is too low, DON'T TAKE IT!!! That's not so hard. Of course the trade in offer is lowball. They aren't doing trade ins for your benefit. They need to make money on it to do it at all. Everybody - and I mean EVERYBODY - knows trade ins are for suckers. You can do so much better on a private sale on Swappa or any of the other dozens of places for sales.
    I agree with you that you do better in a private sale. However, in a private sale, you have to wait for somone to buy your phone. it is not an instant gratification process.

Phone
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    I'll give you a hundred more than their offer!

Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WishIWasHer View Post
    The problem I have with these offers is they really do lowball you. Sure, you could sell it on eBay but you have to deal with buyers, and shipping, and paypal holding the money, it can be a hassle. What baffles me is this: in 2014 VZW used to offer $200 for a iPhone 4S which at the time was 3 generations old. Their offer for the 6 was huge, like 500 or so. My point being that these trade ins used to offer a lot more and I am not certain what happened.
    The iPhone 6 was introduced September 2014 and discontinued September 2016. The iPhone 4S was introduced October 2011 (16, 32, 64 GB), September 2013 (8 GB) and discontinued September 2012 (32 GB and 64 GB) September 2013 (16 GB) September 2014 (8 GB).
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

Phone
    Carrier
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Generally for me the phone is more useful for someone else than selling it to some random person or taking in a trade in offer.

Feedback Score
    How do you pay for your new phone if you don't sell the old one?

Phone
    Carrier
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGPRS View Post
    How do you pay for your new phone if you don't sell the old one?
    The first 2 phones I handed down, the iPhone 4 and 5, I bought my new phone with subsidy, so it was only $300 and $400. I had forgotten that the 5 was that much even with subsidy.

The 7+ was obviously more. No subsidy, $870+tax. I did that one using device payments, but after a few months just knowing I owed that money bothered me so I paid it off.