Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Connected car

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by caddypower View Post
    So with that you can drop the on star and use att connected car without problems?
    Yes, call ATT not On star to have it added to your account.

Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    My Silverado has OnStar which I just renewed, but it is also attached separately to my AT&T account and for $40 a month it attaches to my unlimited data plan. It's awesome for long trips and when outdoors in remote areas because it does have decent reach away from the vehicle.

Sent from my XT1650 using HoFo mobile app
    I can connect up to 7 devices to it. Wouldn't recommend that many though. Most devices we had connected was 4. One thing that does bug me about the My Link system is that only one device can be bluetooth connected. When my son uses my truck his iphone will un-pair my iphone so i always have to go into settings and check my iphone to be paired. I make sure all the other devices have their bluetooth setting turned off.

Like you stated, the reception is so much better than using a hotspot. I've had no issues going over the mountain where my iphone won't get but maybe 1 bar but the truck keeps a good reception.

Feedback Score
    That sounds good. I'll have to look into it

Sent from my XT1030 using HoFo mobile app
    """new T-Mobile customer"""

Feedback Score
    I don't trust my ISP with wifi security on the their modem. I damn sure don't trust GM to make it secure. I sure hope it's not connected to the Canbus, that's even more scary if it is.

Device(s)
    IPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    ! Does it not have a 4G modem, or are you in a 3G only area?
    No. it is 3G only. Even in solid 4G coverage all you can do is 3G. That was a very bad decision by Dodge on a new 2016 year model car.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread.

What’s with AT&T connected car and 3G? If 3G is shutting down in 2021 for AT&T, what are the alternatives beyond a new car that has LTE instead of 3G), or using a hotspot?

I use AT&T for the car but Sprint for the phone + data. Sprint is good but not reliable with holes in coverage as a hotspot. In addition, the car modem requires a 3G GSM sim.

I am not a techie but that is what I understand.

What are some more options or suggestions?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Same thing happened when At&t shut 2G down in 2006 (I think that was the year). Users could no longer use the affected, installed car devices (On Star comes to mind). Some car dealers offered incentives to get a new vehicle, aftermarket products/devices were/are an alternative (new car communication devices, either Bluetooth or stand alone) or get a new phone and connect via Bluetooth to the vehicle.

At&t as well as any other carrier did not then offer any special incentives/discounts for affected customers and not likely to do so this time. Keep in mind that they don't offer support on a device they neither make or sell.

For example, I own a 2014 Hyundai Tucson with no built in cellular phone equipment with my Samsung S9+ phone on Sprint. My vehicle has an installed Bluetooth system integrated in the radio that I can make and receive calls as well as stream Pandora from my phone. No need to have a phone # assigned to my vehicle and no problem using that wireless connection.

Bottom line is that as long as the phone is 4G and connects to the Bluetooth communications in the vehicle, you will be fine.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Connected car

Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Same thing happened when At&t shut 2G down in 2006 (I think that was the year). Users could no longer use the affected, installed car devices (On Star comes to mind). Some car dealers offered incentives to get a new vehicle, aftermarket products/devices were/are an alternative (new car communication devices, either Bluetooth or stand alone) or get a new phone and connect via Bluetooth to the vehicle.

At&t as well as any other carrier did not then offer any special incentives/discounts for affected customers and not likely to do so this time. Keep in mind that they don't offer support on a device they neither make or sell.

For example, I own a 2014 Hyundai Tucson with no built in cellular phone equipment with my Samsung S9+ phone on Sprint. My vehicle has an installed Bluetooth system integrated in the radio that I can make and receive calls as well as stream Pandora from my phone. No need to have a phone # assigned to my vehicle and no problem using that wireless connection.

Bottom line is that as long as the phone is 4G and connects to the Bluetooth communications in the vehicle, you will be fine.
    Thanks for feedback and suggestions. I understand what you conveyed.

One difference is that my car has two built-in 3G GSM modems.

One that is the car modem that is owner accessible allows for WiFi hot-spot and infotainment. In the US, it comes with AT&T SIM for model year 2016 and a few earlier model years. Some people have successfully swapped out to TMo, but still limited to the built-in hardware capabilities. Your suggestions can resolve those issues. I will likely go there once new TMo integrates Sprint customers (20 continuous years for me).

The other GSM modem is not accessible or serviceable by the owner. This second modem provides the “real” connected car functionality with remote start, lock/unlock, status, emergency alerts, traffic data, et al. It is 100% GSM cellular AT&T- no Bluetooth, NFC, WiFi, connectivity, et al.

The vehicle manufacturer is working on options but we neither have an idea whether the solution will be available by early 2021 nor what the cost will be.

Not a first world problem (as we focus on the COVID-19 pandemic which is).

Thanks in advance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2