Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A question about CA

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

A question about CA

I have an iPhone 7+ and have been playing around with IOS 10.3 beta 1. In the field test mode, I noticed the CA menu. It keeps changing around with different combinations but keeps saying "SCC_STATE_CONFIGURED_DEACTIVATED" and i'm just curious if that means that I would be "connected" to CA but not in use or is it just showing the combinations available?
    Name:  IMG_6127.PNG
Views: 910
Size:  32.4 KB

I am a Telus customer in "Bell country" aka Sydney, NS and noticed the MNC says 610 in the Serving Cell Info page.

Name:  IMG_6128.PNG
Views: 870
Size:  22.0 KB

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    The above appears to be a cached list of all the aggregation possible.
    Your iPhone sent its capabilities (all possible CA combos among other information), and you received this config back from the network (tri-band CA) as the "best fit" in the order above (see index).
    The network will send the phone all the possible bands it can use CA for, and it will cache this until the network sends an updated list via an rrcConnectionReconfiguration message.

From the screenshots, you are on B2 primary with CA ADD 4 and 12 if needed.
    Not sure what "dl_bandwidth" is, it isn't resource blocks like "ul_bw"

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Ok, thanks for the info.
    I'm new to the CA stuff as up until Monday, I had an iPhone 5S. So I was just reading little bits here and there plus following along with the threads on here.

This new field test mode in the beta for IOS 10.3 is a little confusing with the bandwidth numbering. From what I can figure from another menu that shows other bands deployed, the dl_bandwidth numbering goes something like 2=5mhz, 3=10Mhz, 4=15Mhz and 5=20Mhz

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
    Not sure what "dl_bandwidth" is, it isn't resource blocks like "ul_bw"
    dl_bandwidth is an index from 0 to 5, corresponding to 1.4 MHz, 3 MHz, .... , 20 MHz.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CTremblay85 View Post
    I have an iPhone 7+ and have been playing around with IOS 10.3 beta 1. In the field test mode, I noticed the CA menu. It keeps changing around with different combinations but keeps saying "SCC_STATE_CONFIGURED_DEACTIVATED" and i'm just curious if that means that I would be "connected" to CA but not in use or is it just showing the combinations available?

I am a Telus customer in "Bell country" aka Sydney, NS and noticed the MNC says 610 in the Serving Cell Info page.
    There are 3 states: not configured, configured but not activated, configured and activated. The first state is really non-CA mode, the second state is as you suggested. You were probably not downloading much data when you observed this state. The third state is when CA is actually transferring user data.

Not sure why iPhone displays only the RAN owner's MNC. In actuality, you would see both PLMNs broadcast in the SIB messages.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    There are 3 states: not configured, configured but not activated, configured and activated. The first state is really non-CA mode, the second state is as you suggested. You were probably not downloading much data when you observed this state. The third state is when CA is actually transferring user data.

Not sure why iPhone displays only the RAN owner's MNC. In actuality, you would see both PLMNs broadcast in the SIB messages.
    ok, thanks for confirming what I thought was going on. At the time, I wasn't doing anything on my phone outside of looking at the field test mode. Would you have any suggestions on how I could get CA active and be able to take a screen shot on the iPhone?
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 02-04-2017 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Removed quoted post that was deleted as banter

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    After some trial and error, I was able to get CA to become active.
    As I said, I live in Sydney, NS so I guess that would be take this with a grain of salt for the "Telus having tri CA."
    Name:  IMG_6147.PNG
Views: 704
Size:  29.7 KB

Feedback Score
    CA cannot be deactivated per operator on Huawei. Cayaguy, you can ask your engineer friend, he'll tell you the same thing. If the only difference is that phones sold by Telus don't have 3CA enabled, that's one thing, but the RAN is the same between Bell and Telus users.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    While I will admit that my iPhone is using beta software with a new field test mode, I did post a screen shot with 2 carrier components active on top of the main one (B2 + B4 and B12).
    Or am I being dismissed because I live in a Bell area?

Edit: I bought my iPhone 7+ from the Telus store in the Mayflower mall in Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Attachment 148596
    The beta software wouldn't randomly generate fake data that lined up exactly to network and spectrum layouts. It basically confirms your devices is using 3CA on a Telus device. You've basically proven what was said by sheytoon all along (the shared RAN has the exact same CA config whether you are on Bell/Telus).

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    What kind of speeds do you get? During the peak time and off peak?

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    What kind of speeds do you get? During the peak time and off peak?
    The speeds have been alright. I'm getting anywhere from 67Mbps-130Mbps. My best so far was posted in the Telus speed test post at 146Mbps. Burnt thru most of my data so I have to watch what i'm doing, sadly.
    Name:  IMG_6151.PNG
Views: 687
Size:  87.4 KB

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    The beta software wouldn't randomly generate fake data that lined up exactly to network and spectrum layouts. It basically confirms your devices is using 3CA on a Telus device. You've basically proven what was said by sheytoon all along (the shared RAN has the exact same CA config whether you are on Bell/Telus).
    My fear was that because it is a beta, it was returning fake numbers.
    My only confusing with the CA combo is the Band 12. On another menu called "EUTRA Neighbor", it shows all the different frequencies in the area. We have B2, 4, 7, 13, 17, and 29. I know that lower 700 can be shown as band 12 but why doesn't band 17 show up as 12 in that menu?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I would try doing the test where you have a stronger signal closer to a tower at off-peak hours to see the true potential of your phone/network. -114 dBm RSRP is not that great for reaching top speeds.
    Does the iOS field mode indicate transmit mode (i.e TM2, TM4, etc) and MIMO? Telus is deploying TM4/4x4 MIMO on B4 and B30 here, which helps quite a bit in terms of performance/cell edge coverage.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I would try doing the test where you have a stronger signal closer to a tower at off-peak hours to see the true potential of your phone/network. -114 dBm RSRP is not that great for reaching top speeds.
    Does the iOS field mode indicate transmit mode (i.e TM2, TM4, etc) and MIMO? Telus is deploying TM4/4x4 MIMO on B4 and B30 here, which helps quite a bit in terms of performance/cell edge coverage.
    I'm in a basement right now, B2 hates basements lol
    As for MIMO or any of that kind of info, I haven't seen anything about it in any of the menus, sadly. However, some of the menus don't seem to populate at the moment. Not sure if they will when 10.3 goes public or not.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    My fear was that because it is a beta, it was returning fake numbers.
    My only confusing with the CA combo is the Band 12. On another menu called "EUTRA Neighbor", it shows all the different frequencies in the area. We have B2, 4, 7, 13, 17, and 29. I know that lower 700 can be shown as band 12 but why doesn't band 17 show up as 12 in that menu?
    That data from the other menu most likely comes from SIB4. It basically indicates all the potentially available bands that are on the network, not bands that are usable necessarily.
    Telus SIB4 would indicate B17 (EARFCN 5815) , but I've found Telus' rrcConnectionReconfiguration messages actually send you the B12 equivilent (EARFCN 5145) for CA, instead of B17, for some reason. So that would explain the discrepancy, which I also see here in Vancouver on a few devices (never seen any CA combo with B17, but all with B12).
    I am guessing since B12 is a superset of B17, they've decided to have more CA combos having B12 as a band rather than B17. But the reasoning is probably buried somewhere in the 3GPP standards documents or something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast