Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: VPN for home network-please help!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,039
    Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    VPN for home network-please help!

    im in the market for a VPN that doesnt log ur traffic, p2p is a must (using torrents) and full un-throttler speeds, right now my speeds are 220Mbps.....theres sooooo many VPNs and have no clue what to use, anybody on this site can me ?

    does the VPN also help block "hackers" and pop ups?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,039
    Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    anyone?......

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,632
    Device(s)
    Pixel 3A & iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    PrivateInternetAccess doesn't keep logs. I have no idea if you'd get 220MBPS though.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,039
    Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    yea ive seen that vpn while i was looking around, my goal is to set the VPN on my home router so my whole house can be under the VPN, but dont want my speeds to drop..been reading alot and i think more lost than i was when first started looking....is there a good PC forum that will know more info of my questions?...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,765
    Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    0

    VPN for home network-please help!

    fwiw, here is some free advice.

    your speeds will probably drop

    if you run all your home router traffic through the vpn, transactions at ecommerce sites and banks are more likely to be flagged as fraudulent. you might also have issues with netflix, etc.

    There is no way a VPN provider will break even if you upload/download tens of TB a month. You may find yourself terminated, and especially if you run the vpn 24x7, with logging on the server or not, you could eventually be tracked. A VPN is a poor tool for anonymity. Even tor, which is architecturally a much better tool for anonymity, has its issues.

    Getting anonymity right on the internet against a determined attacker with resources like a government or law enforcement is very hard. All it takes to get caught is one minor operational security slip up or system/network vulnerability. I wouldn't try this, and I actually understand much of the technology, so could perhaps figure out ways to mitigate risk.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,039
    Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    fwiw, here is some free advice.

    your speeds will probably drop

    if you run all your home router traffic through the vpn, transactions at ecommerce sites and banks are more likely to be flagged as fraudulent. you might also have issues with netflix, etc.

    There is no way a VPN provider will break even if you upload/download tens of TB a month. You may find yourself terminated, and especially if you run the vpn 24x7, with logging on the server or not, you could eventually be tracked. A VPN is a poor tool for anonymity. Even tor, which is architecturally a much better tool for anonymity, has its issues.

    Getting anonymity right on the internet against a determined attacker with resources like a government or law enforcement is very hard. All it takes to get caught is one minor operational security slip up or system/network vulnerability. I wouldn't try this, and I actually understand much of the technology, so could perhaps figure out ways to mitigate risk.


    ok? so if a VPN is no good on the router itself, why do they sell VPN routers? is it meant just for business offices/work environments?


    ok lets limit this to only one PC, is a VPN still no good? i dont want my ISP to see what im doing like torrents and what sites im going to, really wanted to work on the router so all my PCs was under a VPN...what else can i use if VPNs are a no go?

    also thank for the reply

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,765
    Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    0

    VPN for home network-please help!

    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    ok? so if a VPN is no good on the router itself, why do they sell VPN routers? is it meant just for business offices/work environments?


    ok lets limit this to only one PC, is a VPN still no good? i dont want my ISP to see what im doing like torrents and what sites im going to, really wanted to work on the router so all my PCs was under a VPN...what else can i use if VPNs are a no go?

    also thank for the reply
    If all you are concerned about is privacy from your ISP, then a VPN is probably good enough. They will know you are using a VPN and roughly the data flows over the VPN. Some VPNs use crappy or no encryption or leak information via DNS. Avoid those.

    The router solution can be fine as long as you are aware that some fraud scoring systems will flag a known VPN IP address as higher risk. Similarly a service like Netflix may not work because it might assume you are trying to mask your location.

    If you were trying to, for example, use a VPN to hide activity that is illegal, then counting on a VPN to protect you is a risky move.

    It partly depends on your threat model. What are you trying to protect? Who are you trying to protect yourself from? How attractive are you as a target? If your potential adversary is a government, I wouldn't trust a VPN to protect you.

    Think about it this way. The VPN creates one level of indirection - when connecting to other services the VPN provider appears to be your ISP. Your actual ISP will have a record of data transfers to your VPN provider. The machines you are connecting to will have a record of connections to/from your VPN provider. If someone delivers a subpoena your VPN provider, even if they don't have any logs, they can be forced to go look at both what you are currently connecting to and where you are currently connecting from.

    More sophisticated attackers could also unmask you by exploiting vulnerabilities on your computer. e.g. https://thehackernews.com/2016/04/to...k-malware.html

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,039
    Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    If all you are concerned about is privacy from your ISP, then a VPN is probably good enough. They will know you are using a VPN and roughly the data flows over the VPN. Some VPNs use crappy or no encryption or leak information via DNS. Avoid those.

    The router solution can be fine as long as you are aware that some fraud scoring systems will flag a known VPN IP address as higher risk. Similarly a service like Netflix may not work because it might assume you are trying to mask your location.

    If you were trying to, for example, use a VPN to hide activity that is illegal, then counting on a VPN to protect you is a risky move.

    It partly depends on your threat model. What are you trying to protect? Who are you trying to protect yourself from? How attractive are you as a target? If your potential adversary is a government, I wouldn't trust a VPN to protect you.

    Think about it this way. The VPN creates one level of indirection - when connecting to other services the VPN provider appears to be your ISP. Your actual ISP will have a record of data transfers to your VPN provider. The machines you are connecting to will have a record of connections to/from your VPN provider. If someone delivers a subpoena your VPN provider, even if they don't have any logs, they can be forced to go look at both what you are currently connecting to and where you are currently connecting from.

    More sophisticated attackers could also unmask you by exploiting vulnerabilities on your computer. e.g. https://thehackernews.com/2016/04/to...k-malware.html

    well i like to DL torrents of tv shows and a movie or 2...i DL a tv show and my ISP sent a blocker ad, i guess like their own malware, i had to call them for them to take it off the modem.....so i guess i just a good VPN for torrents....i do all my tv watching at nite , i try watching it on my cable box but i gotta wait till the network re-airs the tv show,like WTF i pay alot for my cable and cant watch what i want, always gotta wait..soo u have any good VPNs that dont leak and are solid ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    8
    Feedback Score
    0
    Most of the VPN today have a no-log policy, so you can get the cheapest one. But you should add another layer of security.
    You can do this by using Tor browser & DuckDuckGo search engine.

    Tor is also available for smartphones, but it sucks. You can use any proxy browsers.
    Last edited by alex0010; 12-02-2019 at 01:59 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-25-2009, 09:58 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2003, 10:04 AM
  3. looking for a plan..please help
    By whitetiger604 in forum Rogers/Fido/Chat-r
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-22-2002, 10:14 AM
  4. need parts for my v3682.. please help
    By j0nb in forum Motorola
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2002, 07:43 PM
  5. Question for Cingular V60g ...Please Help
    By S4NoRice in forum Motorola
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-26-2002, 07:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks