Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why data so expensive

Device(s)
    LG K3
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    The appeal of Fi is postpaid features at a prepaid price if you can go easy on the mobile data. Fi data is expensive because the carriers charge Google an arm and a leg for full speed, un-nerfed data.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    Exactly, apples and oranges when trying to compare Fi with regular carriers.
    I would expect a satphone to have far better coverage than any cellular phone. I spent a lot of time doing research at sea, and we spent a fortune on satphones.

But I don't have a satphone because I don't need that kind of coverage in a day to day life.

But by my calculations if you use 22 GB per month on
    Google FI that is 22*12*$10+12*$20=$2880 per year
    Verizon unlimited data if you are outside of USA/Mexico/Canada for 6 weeks is 12*$85+6*7*$10=$1440 per year, and Verizon gives you a reasonable chance of getting high speed data if you go over 22 GB per month.

That is double the price for Google FI.

Verizon $85 for 1 line Per month. Plus taxes & fees. When you enroll in Auto Pay.
    Premium unlimited 4G LTE data
    Unlimited Talk & Text
    HD-quality streaming
    Unlimited Mobile Hotspot
    Verizon Up rewards
    Military discount
    Mexico & Canada included
    After 22GB data may be slowed.

TravelPass: $10 a day per line in more than 130 countries you can take your domestic talk, text and data allowances with you.
    LG K3 on Virgin Mobile ($20 a month Walmart Plan)
    2 Samsung SCH-u410™ w/Verizon Prepaid ($5 month & $15 month grandfathered plans)

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, Nexus 6P, Moto G5 Plus, Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Project Fi was never designed for high-data users, so 22GB of cellular data per month on any carrier versus Project Fi is not a fair analogy. I would even venture to say that, of the thousands of Project Fi subscribers right now, only a handful have ever used 22 GB or more during a single month. And of those select few, none of them did it intentionally.

The issue I had wasn't so much the plan costs, but the inferior service. The two core features that every phone should have is reliable call and texting. It's the staple of how cellular service started. However, speaking just for me, I had nothing but issues with missed calls and texts, poor call quality, and a lack of customer service beyond their initial support.

I had very few issues when my phone was on T-Mobile or US Cellular, but constant issues when the phone was on Sprint. WiFi calls were only slightly better, with 15% of the calls being one-way audio, the 10-15 second "beep" until two-way audio kicked in, or distant end echo. And since I can't force to another carrier but for a couple hours, and with Sprint having the "best signal" where I lived, I could either be stuck with inferior service or port to another carrier. I've used the same phone on Cricket (AT&T) and Verizon, and have had none of the issues that I had when on Project Fi.

I'd love to support Project Fi, even at $10 per GB. But I get too many calls and texts from customers and bosses that can't be missed on a consistent basis. For those happy with Project Fi, I'm happy for you. Just wasn't in the cards for me.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    At this point, Fi probably only makes sense for international travellers and those who don’t use much data.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Boom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    At this point, Fi probably only makes sense for international travellers and those who don’t use much data.
    That's how we use my wife's Fi phone. It has worked flawlessly in Europe and with the additional SIMs my wife and I can easily communicate with me using an old iPhone and Google Hangouts. My wife uses very little data--last month she used 168 mb and the bill was something like $24. Quite frankly I don't know which carrier is used around here but I'd bet it's Tmobile since Sprint shows pretty poor coverage in this area.

Device(s)
    LG K3
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    In general I think that kudos goes to Google for their upfront honest pricing. In what seems to be common practice my local ISP provider has so called "retail rates" which are incredibly high, and "promotional rates" which are used to tease you. Then it seems to be a game as to how much they can raise your rate and still convince you that you are getting a good deal because it is lower than "retail".

RCN Internet rates for first 12 months
    Downloads up to 25 Mbps /Uploads up to 4 Mbps ........................................... $29.99 ($54 discount)
    Downloads up to 50 Mbps /Uploads up to 10 Mbps ......................................... $39.99 ($57 discount)
    Downloads up to 155 Mbps /Uploads up to 15 Mbps .......................................... $49.99 ($84 discount)
    Downloads up to 330 Mbps /Uploads up to 20 Mbps ......................................... $54.99 ($85 discount)

RCN High-Speed Internet full rates
    Downloads up to 25 Mbps /Uploads up to 4 Mbps ........................................... $83.99
    Downloads up to 50 Mbps /Uploads up to 10 Mbps ......................................... $96.99
    Downloads up to 155 Mbps /Uploads up to 15 Mbps .......................................... $133.99
    Downloads up to 330 Mbps /Uploads up to 20 Mbps ......................................... $139.99
    Wireless Router .................................................. . $4.95
    Modem .................................................. .............. $7.00
    Static IP .................................................. ............... $19.95
    Google Fiber has a simple rate structure. For 100 Mbps service it is $50/month and for 1 GB service it is $70 month.

In a similar way Google cellular has an uncomplicated rate with no tricks. However, I still feel it should have been reduced in the last 2.5 years to keep their prices somewhat competitive.

Feedback Score
    Carriers don't charge Google "and arm and a leg", Google is just greedy, that's all.
    Proof: Verizon sells data to Tracfone. Tracfone owns Total Wireless and can afford to sell 5GB of said data for $10. So probably Verizon charges them 1/2 of that price (unless Carlos Slim decided to give away free data to US citizens because he likes us so much).

As for "international use" - I am traveling internationally frequently. I have a few local SIM cards that I can "load" before I leave for those countries. Usually 10-20 Euros will be sufficient for decent amounts of data in Europe. Heck, recently in Romania I even got 60GB for 12 Euros! And 4GB of that was free roaming data in EU space.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, Moto X4, Moto G6, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Lotta folks don't want the hassle of seeking out local SIM cards but that is usually the cheaper option. The simplicity of using Fi overseas is a great feature. Also, when announcing their new data protection plan, Google did acknowledge that 99% of their Fi customers use 15 GB of data a month or less.
    Pixel 2, Moto X4 & Moto G6 on Google Fi
    iPhone 6S on Verizon Prepaid

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, Nexus 6P, Moto G5 Plus, Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Carriers don't charge Google "and arm and a leg", Google is just greedy, that's all.
    Proof: Verizon sells data to Tracfone. Tracfone owns Total Wireless and can afford to sell 5GB of said data for $10. So probably Verizon charges them 1/2 of that price (unless Carlos Slim decided to give away free data to US citizens because he likes us so much).

As for "international use" - I am traveling internationally frequently. I have a few local SIM cards that I can "load" before I leave for those countries. Usually 10-20 Euros will be sufficient for decent amounts of data in Europe. Heck, recently in Romania I even got 60GB for 12 Euros! And 4GB of that was free roaming data in EU space.
    One benefit of Project Fi is that they are postpaid type accounts with T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular, which includes domestic roaming. Very few MVNOs include domestic roaming, so if you aren't on that carrier's tower you don't have service.

Those roaming charges that Verizon and AT&T charge the other three are probably substantial.

For international travelers, there is a certain luxury in not having to worry about getting a local SIM (remember, Verizon and AT&T charge $10 a day for the privilege), and as long as the pricing is the same, subscribers can be comfortable knowing that it won't effect their pocketbook any more than when they are home.

Are there better ways to save money on cell service, sure. But if you usually spend $40 a month on Project Fi, and you get to travel to much of the world on that $40 a month, how much more savings can there be without extra hoops to go through?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't travel often. For purpose of this answer, let me blur together about 4 domestic trips and a trip to Thailand and Japan which began 10 years ago today, when the internet was there but my gadget was expensive, slow, and not a phone but a pocket computer that could run Skype. On the Thailand trip, goofing around with internet was part of the adventure up to a point, but today it might be less fun. Across all those trips, the cost of time for activities beyond sleeping and cleaning up was about $20 per hour. That is based on the cost of plane or train tickets, hotels, maybe some new clothes or whatever. Twenty bucks just to wander around seeking a SIM or whatever.

The actual voice and data service that one would need on a certain trip may be hard to predict. A few minutes might be precious, long calls may not be needed. When we were in Japan, we were supposed to call our friend in Nagoya to say what train we would arrive on, but it wasn't obvious how to call in our rush to catch the shinkansen. One project Fi call might have cost 40 cents and made a big difference, but that didn't exist.

Today in a strange place I would want to run active mapping and directions up to the limits of battery life, but that might only use a couple dollars of map data per day. Project Fi would be a boon. I would keep in mind the option of a local SIM, maybe in a separate device from the FI phone. Or a person could activate a second device as the Fi data only device--and still receive and make voice calls on that second phone, via Hangouts. That would be subject to the possibility that certain uses of VOIP are blocked, for example in Thailand.

A person could get Boingo service and see if that makes wifi easier to access. http://www.boingo.com/retail/boingo-mobile/

Our last domestic trip was for the eclipse last August, when we needed live mapping and directions, with Sprint and T-Mobile data connections.

I'm sure some have different needs including more voice calls and they take a different approach.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2