Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score

Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

So I have had two lines with Verizon since 1999, back when it was PrimeCo here in FL.
    Never had any major issues with calls, and now with LTE data and smartphone use, their network has been getting better each year.
    Thus my issue with them has been over the past few months.
    Back in December I ordered a Moto Z Play for $149 from the Verizon site under a 2-year contract on my 2nd line for my mom. The following day I received the receipt for the order, and saw that my Line Access fee would increase from $20 to $40 ($480 over 2 years). So I called Verizon to cancel the order, but it had already shipped. The Rep said they would contact UPS and have it sent back to them, and that I would not have the restocking fee.

Two weeks later Best Buy had the Moto Z Droid on sale for $5/month with DPP. I went to the store, and they could not get it to sell or activate, as their system kept showing an outstanding order with Verizon. The lady at the store was on the phone with Verizon for 3 hours, and could not get it resolved. It had to do with the Moto Z Play that was canceled and sent back to Verizon 2 weeks earlier not being taken off my account. So that week I called Verizon 4 times, between 60-90 each, and no one could get my account fixed.

Then a month later Best Buy had the Moto Z Droid FOR FREE after DPP 24-month credit. Again I tried to order via the Best Buy site, and the next day they would call saying it can't process, still showing an outstanding order with Verizon. Made several calls back to Verizon, was told they would have this escalated and call back (never did), but one lady did give me a $30 bill credit due to all the issues. Since no one was ever able to get my account cleared, and STILL showed the original Moto Z Play for activation on there, I decided to look at other providers.

For MVNOs, it was either Cricket or MetroPCS, and you can read some of this discussion here:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...PCS-or-Cricket

My current plan with Verizon was 2GB (19% off) and two lines for $79 including tax.

MetroPCS has a current special of two lines for a flat $80 with 8GB 4G each.
    Cricket would be $70 for two lines with 3GB each, or $90 with 8GB each.
    Even though Cricket (using AT&T towers) has better coverage than MetroPCS (T-Mobile), I didn't like the fact that Cricket limits data speeds to 8Mbps and uses proxy servers that slows things down.
    The best "value" between those two MVNOs was MetroPCS.

But then I looked at AT&T GoPhone, as that would get full speed (unlike Cricket).
    Their price would be $80 for two lines with 4GB LTE each, and includes rollover data. They also had a promotion of the 2nd month service for free.

So I decided to port my two lines over to AT&T GoPhone service and will have the SIM cards here on Saturday.

My LG G5 RS988 Unlocked that I purchased from BHPhoto in Dec for $399 works on all carriers, so no issues there.
    But since my mom has a flip phone, I had to purchase an unlocked GSM capable for her.
    I was debating between the Axon 7 $399, Axon 7 mini $199 sale, Idol 4S $350, and Moto Z Play $399.
    I had read that the Axon 7 and Mini have a lot of signal issues when indoors and in buildings, so I decided to buy the Idol 4S and Moto Z Play from Amazon Prime for her to try out.
    I will continue to use my G5 for now, but as a Note 2/3/4 user, I'm looking to see what Samsung has for the S8 and Note 8, as I prefer larger AMOLED screen phones instead of smaller LCDs.

So that is my story. I feel that over two month, I gave Verizon plenty of opportunity to have the issues fixed with my account, and it never was, regardless of all the calls that I made.
    Maybe it is for the best, even though I am not saving money on the phone bill, at least our data is increased and AT&T has just as good coverage in FL and the Eastern States when driving as Verizon.

But don't worry, I'll still be on here, if anyone needs to contact me as a Moderator.
    And who knows, maybe one day I may go back to Verizon.
    ==>My Amazon page with LED car headlight bulbs: Diamond Vision LED

=>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    So I have had two lines with Verizon since 1999, back when it was PrimeCo here in FL.
    Never had any major issues with calls, and now with LTE data and smartphone use, their network has been getting better each year.
    Thus my issue with them has been over the past few months.
    Back in December I ordered a Moto Z Play for $149 from the Verizon site under a 2-year contract on my 2nd line for my mom. The following day I received the receipt for the order, and saw that my Line Access fee would increase from $20 to $40 ($480 over 2 years). So I called Verizon to cancel the order, but it had already shipped. The Rep said they would contact UPS and have it sent back to them, and that I would not have the restocking fee.

Two weeks later Best Buy had the Moto Z Droid on sale for $5/month with DPP. I went to the store, and they could not get it to sell or activate, as their system kept showing an outstanding order with Verizon. The lady at the store was on the phone with Verizon for 3 hours, and could not get it resolved. It had to do with the Moto Z Play that was canceled and sent back to Verizon 2 weeks earlier not being taken off my account. So that week I called Verizon 4 times, between 60-90 each, and no one could get my account fixed.

Then a month later Best Buy had the Moto Z Droid FOR FREE after DPP 24-month credit. Again I tried to order via the Best Buy site, and the next day they would call saying it can't process, still showing an outstanding order with Verizon. Made several calls back to Verizon, was told they would have this escalated and call back (never did), but one lady did give me a $30 bill credit due to all the issues. Since no one was ever able to get my account cleared, and STILL showed the original Moto Z Play for activation on there, I decided to look at other providers.

For MVNOs, it was either Cricket or MetroPCS, and you can read some of this discussion here:

My current plan with Verizon was 2GB (19% off) and two lines for $79 including tax.

MetroPCS has a current special of two lines for a flat $80 with 8GB 4G each.
    Cricket would be $70 for two lines with 3GB each, or $90 with 8GB each.
    Even though Cricket (using AT&T towers) has better coverage than MetroPCS (T-Mobile), I didn't like the fact that Cricket limits data speeds to 8Mbps and uses proxy servers that slows things down.
    The best "value" between those two MVNOs was MetroPCS.

But then I looked at AT&T GoPhone, as that would get full speed (unlike Cricket).
    Their price would be $80 for two lines with 4GB LTE each, and includes rollover data. They also had a promotion of the 2nd month service for free.

So I decided to port my two lines over to AT&T GoPhone service and will have the SIM cards here on Saturday.

My LG G5 RS988 Unlocked that I purchased from BHPhoto in Dec for $399 works on all carriers, so no issues there.
    But since my mom has a flip phone, I had to purchase an unlocked GSM capable for her.
    I was debating between the Axon 7 $399, Axon 7 mini $199 sale, Idol 4S $350, and Moto Z Play $399.
    I had read that the Axon 7 and Mini have a lot of signal issues when indoors and in buildings, so I decided to buy the Idol 4S and Moto Z Play from Amazon Prime for her to try out.
    I will continue to use my G5 for now, but as a Note 2/3/4 user, I'm looking to see what Samsung has for the S8 and Note 8, as I prefer larger AMOLED screen phones instead of smaller LCDs.

So that is my story. I feel that over two month, I gave Verizon plenty of opportunity to have the issues fixed with my account, and it never was, regardless of all the calls that I made.
    Maybe it is for the best, even though I am not saving money on the phone bill, at least our data is increased and AT&T has just as good coverage in FL and the Eastern States when driving as Verizon.

But don't worry, I'll still be on here, if anyone needs to contact me as a Moderator.
    And who knows, maybe one day I may go back to Verizon.
    I set up a Verizon prepaid but my son who lives in another state needed a phone and line so he inherited from me. Going to overnight it to him today. Now my primary line is att and I have a T-Mobile prepaid also. I was happy carrying three phones around temporarily to test three networks but I've realized I'm an att guy. It just fits the bill for me better. Also, this morning my Verizon phone has no coverage so not sure whats going on so now I've got to fix it before mailing it
    Last edited by themanhimself; 02-09-2017 at 06:28 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Always definitely go to the carrier that works best for you! No one should going through all those issues having to call a million times.

Feedback Score
    Verizon is big mess I purchased ipad air and week letter send it back so i put usps shipping label provided by Verizon so usps shows delivered to verizon but verizon said screw you wee never got it.

If you have good tmobile service then you could get two lines with 2gb of data for $20 each or with 6gb and unlimited streaming for $33 a line

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    I set up a Verizon prepaid but my son who lives in another state needed a phone and line so he inherited from me. Going to overnight it to him today. Now my primary line is att and I have a T-Mobile prepaid also. I was happy carrying three phones around temporarily to test three networks but I've realized I'm an att guy. It just fits the bill for me better. Also, this morning my Verizon phone has no coverage so not sure whats going on so now I've got to fix it before mailing it
    Certainly do as you need. But I found Verizon Prepaid to not be on par with Verizon Postpaid. When I read of you going from ATT to Verizon Prepaid when ATT prepaid had comparable deals, I was a little bewildered. Tried Verizon prepaid for a month and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Was like going from luxury to lemon. And unfortunately if you try to call them, Prepaid, well good luck. But I do hope you find yourself content back home on ATT. Its good to try new things from time to time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by strathmore9 View Post
    Certainly do as you need. But I found Verizon Prepaid to not be on par with Verizon Postpaid. When I read of you going from ATT to Verizon Prepaid when ATT prepaid had comparable deals, I was a little bewildered. Tried Verizon prepaid for a month and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Was like going from luxury to lemon. And unfortunately if you try to call them, Prepaid, well good luck. But I do hope you find yourself content back home on ATT. Its good to try new things from time to time.
    Not on par in what ways/services?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Cricket is switching over to AT&T servers so ping times will be really low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    I agree. I can't knock Verizon but so much since there are things I really like about them but some things I don't. Was very happy in some ways but at home and work they struggled for signal so that didn't help and this morning coverage was out completely for 2 hours. Maybe postpaid roaming could have helped.

The phone will be put to good use so thats what matters most money wise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by worldtraveler85 View Post
    Not on par in what ways/services?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using HoFo mobile app
    This is just my experience in the month of December to January. Everyone is not going to need or want what I do. It was even simple things I noticed like prepaid customer service was hard to reach and when I did reach them, they sounded less professional, less knowledgeable, and their background was always loud and distracting. Every single time. Maybe some folks never need to call customer service and will never experience that aspect which is great. Here is the list I compiled for my reasons only. Made it worth the extra 10 bucks for me. And I get 20% off from work which made returning for the new single line plans a simple choice.

-Expansive coverage & included Roaming with no need for wifi/hd voice which worked badly on my phone and prevented calls from going through
    -Way Better app resources
    -Stream Pass - Sports
    -Better website features like number blocking, etc
    -Customer service quality/availability
    -Phone deals if that's your thing
    -Mexico & Canada calling while abroad and in states

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Cautionary tale for DPP. When it works it works. When it gets messed up, and a device return glitches up... the impact can cost an (18 year) customer.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    This is just my experience in the month of December to January. Everyone is not going to need or want what I do. It was even simple things I noticed like prepaid customer service was hard to reach and when I did reach them, they sounded less professional, less knowledgeable, and their background was always loud and distracting. Every single time. Maybe some folks never need to call customer service and will never experience that aspect which is great. Here is the list I compiled for my reasons only. Made it worth the extra 10 bucks for me. And I get 20% off from work which made returning for the new single line plans a simple choice.

-Expansive coverage & included Roaming with no need for wifi/hd voice which worked badly on my phone and prevented calls from going through
    -Way Better app resources
    -Stream Pass - Sports
    -Better website features like number blocking, etc
    -Customer service quality/availability
    -Phone deals if that's your thing
    -Mexico & Canada calling while abroad and in states
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    Cautionary tale for DPP. When it works it works. When it gets messed up, and a device return glitches up... the impact can cost an (18 year) customer.
    Since they were not able to get my account fixed in Dec or Jan, despite all the calls (about 10-12 total, 60-90 min each), I think this just shows how poorly their Rep are trained, or how their system is messed up can can't get my account fixed.

I'll have the AT&T GoPhone SIMs here on Friday, which will finish the port over when they are activated.
    In the mean time, I'll have to see about saving any Voice Mails that I have on the two lines.

Feedback Score
    Since they were not able to get my account fixed in Dec or Jan, despite all the calls (about 10-12 total, 60-90 min each), I think this just shows how poorly their Rep are trained, or how their system is messed up can can't get my account fixed.

I'll have the AT&T GoPhone SIMs here on Friday, which will finish the port over when they are activated.
    In the mean time, I'll have to see about saving any Voice Mails that I have on the two lines.
    I gotcha there. I was about to do the same just this morning. I returned an unopened sim kit in December and have yet to see a refund. Was passed around 6 times just this morning. Otherwise things have mostly been smooth sailing.

Feedback Score
    Please let us know how you like ATT

Feedback Score
    Two weeks later Best Buy had the Moto Z Droid on sale for $5/month with DPP. I went to the store, and they could not get it to sell or activate, as their system kept showing an outstanding order with Verizon.

Then a month later Best Buy had the Moto Z Droid FOR FREE after DPP 24-month credit. Again I tried to order via the Best Buy site, and the next day they would call saying it can't process, still showing an outstanding order with Verizon.
    They probably could have fixed that by changing your phone number then changing it back. That would have dropped the pending order from the line.

If you ever run into a problem like that again with Verizon, you can dial 611 and say cancel to get to Customer Care Pro. They are typically better trained than your run of the mill reps, many of whom don't even work for Verizon but rather for another company that Verizon contracts with.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Congrats on your new GoPhone service. You'll probably get outsourced CSR's but hopefully you'll have awesome network service on AT&T.

Please come back and give us a real network comparison for your area!
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast