Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Single Device Plan 1GB/mo $10/mo...?

Device(s)
    V9x
    Carrier(s)
    at&t Mobility
    Feedback Score

Verizon Single Device Plan 1GB/mo $10/mo...?

I saw a press release last month about this new plan Verizon is offering:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/plan...vice-plan/1gb/

$10/mo (plus fees and taxes) with autopay.

It says it's for "your tablet, hotspot, or connected device".

It also says along with the 1GB/mo of data you also get unlimited talk and text.

Does this plan also work with a phone? How else can you talk and text without a phone?

Hman

Feedback Score
    I have it for my hotspot. It's $10 after autopay. I can receive messages on it, but I can't text directly from it. I think there's an online Verizon method to texting using that number, but I've no use for that. Maybe a tablet could text. I don't think this is intended for use with a phone, but there may be a way to use it that way without violating their T&C. Just beware the fine print if you order online, the fine print that doesn't appear when they try and slap you with a $30 activation fee. I will not pay an activation fee nor order service or devices if they try that crap. So I was fairly angry when I got the bill. I called and said "cancel service" and got connected to a typical arrogant Vzw employee who had to see for himself what would happen if he placed an order before he'd admit I was right. He did waive the fee after proving to himself I was right. It was still aggravating and reminded me of why I terminated my services with Vzw last time.

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Interested if it can work in a phone too...

Feedback Score

Verizon Single Device Plan 1GB/mo $10/mo...?

Quote Originally Posted by hman414 View Post
    I saw a press release last month about this new plan Verizon is offering:

$10/mo (plus fees and taxes) with autopay.

It says it's for "your tablet, hotspot, or connected device".

It also says along with the 1GB/mo of data you also get unlimited talk and text.

Does this plan also work with a phone? How else can you talk and text without a phone?

Hman
    A phone is not a "tablet, hotspot, or connected device", and that couldn't be clearer. Tablets at least can use MMS, and "connected devices" can make/receive calls.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hytekj View Post
    Interested if it can work in a phone too...
    Ditto, it'd be a great deal!

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    It is an interesting question. Verizon is making all these "Device Of Your Choice" mandate topics with their plan changes, not us.

I suspect since there is no other plan type (unlike More Everything, NVP, etc), that if you drop the SIM in a smartphone... it would work. But voice calls would be $0.25/minute.

The reason for this, is that the only devices that actually allow for unlimited talk... are devices with eSIM. Verizon is gambling that the FCC won't require eSIM to fall under the Block C rules for device swapping. The tablets all don't have voice, so won't have unlimited talk. Hence, if you put the nano-SIM from a tablet with the 1GB plan, into a phone... it probably will be billed at $.25/minute.

This is one of the reasons why I was hoping Safety Mode was available on it, because it would be a great emergency/backup plan for smartphones. Pay per minute, never go over 1 GB with Safety Mode, and many new lines of service for Verizon. Alas, it lacks Safety Mode, and there's no way to cap usage at 1GB - so if the device fails to stop... you're getting a huge bill.

If Go90 was more compelling, it would have been a neat way to binge watch data-free under the new FCC rules. But I wouldn't say Go90 is competitive with, say, DirecTV NOW.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Feedback Score
    I'm interested in this plan.. just wonder what it means 1GB + unlimited talk / text. How does the unlimited talk work...especially if the prior poster mentions "$0.25 / minute" - that's not "unlimited talk".

And it would be annoying to have to pay an activation fee... better not get charged for that for sure.

A simple plan for a single device.

The Single Device Plan connects one tablet, hotspot, wearable or other connected device to America's most reliable network.
    Get 1GB of data plus Unlimited Talk & Text for as low as $10/mo when you enroll in Auto Pay. No line access charge. No data-sharing so you are in total control.

Feedback Score
    Ok found out this is a post-paid plan, so if you don't have an existing post-paid plan, you will have to submit to a credit check (a hard pull) and be on post-paid invoice with Verizon. The pre-paid plan is 1GB for $20, but no credit check at all. So you have to suffer a bit of a hassle to get this plan.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    I'm interested in this plan.. just wonder what it means 1GB + unlimited talk / text. How does the unlimited talk work...especially if the prior poster mentions "$0.25 / minute" - that's not "unlimited talk".
    Are you kidding? I explained why very clearly in the post. I even underlined the part why. Go back and re-read it and then seek clarification, please.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    Are you kidding? I explained why very clearly in the post. I even underlined the part why. Go back and re-read it and then seek clarification, please.
    It doesn't answer the question explicitly. It says "Unlimited talk / text". If tablets don't have talk / text capability, why even bother putting that clause out there??

Feedback Score
    It doesn't answer the question explicitly. It says "Unlimited talk / text". If tablets don't have talk / text capability, why even bother putting that clause out there??
    Advertising/PR I'd guess. Is eSIM even out yet?

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Because it's the same plan regardless of if your device has voice or not. Say, if you buy a tablet, and later also get a phablet - you might want to swap the tablet with a smartwatch (since phablet owners tend not to buy as many tablets).

You wouldn't have to pay an ETF, you could trade the tablet service for a smartwatch, and not have to break the contract.

eSIM is available... on the smartwatches. Those are the devices that can make voice calls, and thus get unlimited voice. If you trade in your nano-SIM for an eSIM device, you get the unlimited voice.

Now, it is possible the plan is in-fact coded to allow the nano-SIM to make unlimited calls... I just really doubt it. It seems this plan was well articulated based on the Block C rules to let you pop a nano-SIM into a smartphone (the "Device Of Your Choice" mandate)... but only netting you 1GB of data and text messaging.

For someone with a keyboard phone who loves to SMS though, it could be a good deal.

Feedback Score
    Just found this thread. Can you still receive text messages on a jetpack on this plan?

Thought about signing up for it, but chat operator said that they didn't have any plans where you could get a text message on a jetpack ??? (and my prepaid plan in fact doesn't let the jetpack get a text message it seems. But my old postpaid plan did.)
    I think maybe chat operator didn't understand what I was asking because verizon still has FAQs up on how to read a text message on a jetpack, but I wasn't sure...

Feedback Score
    it possible to swap the sim in a phone for unlimited talk and text
    has anyone done it

Feedback Score
    anhyone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast