Thread: What is the deal with King Street Wireless in N Wisconsin???

Device(s)
    V9x
    Carrier(s)
    at&t Mobility
    Feedback Score

What is the deal with King Street Wireless in N Wisconsin???

I was looking at King Street Wireless's website today and it appears by their coverage maps that they have a good part of Northern Wisconsin built out.

This build out is stated as "700 MHz LTE".

I have done network scans with my handsets (scanning all USA LTE 700 MHz bands) and have never got a hit on this supposed King St Wireless LTE network in places like Wausau and Rhinelander.

The web site does say this is fixed wireless, but gives no other info on pricing or anything. All it says is to call. When I called, the line answers with a message to leave a message for more info, very strange...

I called the local VA number and was able to talk to someone live. They told me the coverage depicted on the map is "in the experimental stage" and is not actually available yet.

So what is the deal here? Why are they taking so long to build out? Friends of mine who have USCC end up roaming on Verizon in many of these areas at only 3G speeds when they should be on the King St LTE network...

Hman

Name:  KingSt.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  72.5 KB

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    It's a "protection network." Insofar as it actually exists, the maps represent coverage between hypothetical fixed receivers mounted on towers with high-gain antennas. They don't actually intend to sell service to anyone. They are only trying to technically satisfy the FCC's minimum build-out requirememts.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    V9x
    Carrier(s)
    at&t Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    It's a "protection network." Insofar as it actually exists, the maps represent coverage between hypothetical fixed receivers mounted on towers with high-gain antennas. They don't actually intend to sell service to anyone. They are only trying to technically satisfy the FCC's minimum build-out requirememts.
    The FCC needs to close this loophole!!!

The airwaves are supposed to be available to serve the public, not to be some investment vehicle for the Carlson family.

Thank God for companies like Verizon, who let carries actually build out their spectrum winnings through the LRA Program and T-Mobile who aggressively builds out their low band spectrum purchases.

SHAME ON companies like USCC/King St - The Carlson Family and DISH - Charlie Ergen for their spectrum squatting ways!!!

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hman414 View Post
    ...T-Mobile who aggressively builds out their low band spectrum purchases.
    In some cases, they sublet spectrum to regional GSM operators too (i.e. Viaero operating Band 12 in t-mobile licensed markets). Probably a carrot for a sweat roaming agreements between both operators.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hman414 View Post
    I have done network scans with my handsets (scanning all USA LTE 700 MHz bands) and have never got a hit on this supposed King St Wireless LTE network in places like Wausau and Rhinelander.
    The reason why you can't pick it up is because this fixed wireless network doesn't use LTE, it uses FH-CDMA which cannot be picked by anybody other than FH-CDMA capable devices or RF scanners.

I called the local VA number and was able to talk to someone live. They told me the coverage depicted on the map is "in the experimental stage" and is not actually available yet..
    There's a possibility for this to be a precursor to a full blown LTE only network or this network is strictly for internal use, industrial customers, IoT, or Telular like service.

Airspan Networks is the manufacturer of this this shadow network in WI and across other portions of King Street territory.

Device(s)
    V9x
    Carrier(s)
    at&t Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    The reason why you can't pick it up is because this fixed wireless network doesn't use LTE, it uses FH-CDMA which cannot be picked by anybody other than FH-CDMA capable devices or RF scanners.

There's a possibility for this to be a precursor to a full blown LTE only network or this network is strictly for internal use, industrial customers, IoT, or Telular like service.

Airspan Networks is the manufacturer of this this shadow network in WI and across other portions of King Street territory.
    When you say FH-CDMA, you mean frequency hopping spread spectrum, correct?

I looked at Airspan's web site and the only equipment they offer for use in the 700 MHz band that I can see is equipment based on LTE technology...

Hman