Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to test Verizons coverage before committing a switch?

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 10+, iPhone XR, iPhone 7, iPhone SE & Netgear Nighthawk LTE hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

How to test Verizons coverage before committing a switch?

I'd like to test Verizons coverage before committing a switch. I like the new unlimited plan, but unsure how their coverage is. What would be the best way to test it before I buy/switch to it? Especially for LTE.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Get straight talk verizon for $45 for 1 month.

Device(s)
    Iphone 8 Plus; Iphone SE; Samsung S9 +, Iphone XS*
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile by VZW =) , T-Mobile Metropcs :)
    Feedback Score
    Get vzw prepaid, total wireless
    "Fudge a Contract its So 1990's"

"Service has been amazing and easy to setup, it runs on native vzw"
    AT&T WIRELESS, SPRINT PCS, T-MOBILE USA, at&t, Verizon Prepaid, T-Mobile from 2/2017 - 5/2017 - Cricket 5/17 - 6/17, X-Mobile 6/17 - 12/17 - US Mobile 12/17 & M.PCS 12/17 - 7/18 X-Finity Mobile 7/18 - Present

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mossme89 View Post
    Get straight talk verizon for $45 for 1 month.
    But that is if you have a phone that works on verizon right? Not with the phone too.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RussPath03 View Post
    But that is if you have a phone that works on verizon right? Not with the phone too.

Huh? You can get just a SIM card. I use it with my unlocked 6S.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    He needs a phone with a CDMA radio. E.g., the ATT/TMobile variants of the iPhone 7/plus lack CDMA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, we have a iPhone 6, which is my Mom's. Can't use her's as she needs it. So it would be my LG V20, which I don't believe works with Verizon.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    I'd like to test Verizons coverage before committing a switch. I like the new unlimited plan, but unsure how their coverage is. What would be the best way to test it before I buy/switch to it? Especially for LTE.
    What phones do you have now?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    iPhone 5, iPhone 6, LG V20, and an old Microsoft Nokia Windows phone. Forget the model. It was used only for a backup.

Can't use the first two at all as I can't borrow their phones to test even though I pay for the plan. :/

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZ
    Feedback Score
    iPhone 5, iPhone 6, LG V20, and an old Microsoft Nokia Windows phone. Forget the model. It was used only for a backup.

Can't use the first two at all as I can't borrow their phones to test even though I pay for the plan. :/
    Go get a prepaid VZ phone with the prepaid VZ plan. This will give you the likely speeds and coverage.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpiszcz View Post
    He needs a phone with a CDMA radio. E.g., the ATT/TMobile variants of the iPhone 7/plus lack CDMA.
    Oh. OP just get a used iPhone 5 on eBay

Device(s)
    Nexus 5/5x, iPhone 3GS through 5s, iPhone 7+, etc.
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, VZW, AT&T, Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mossme89 View Post
    Oh. OP just get a used iPhone 5 on eBay
    The Verizon iPhone 5 model supports Verizon's low-frequency coverage bands (13 and 5) but not its mid-frequency capacity bands (4, a.k.a. "XLTE", or 2), so OP won't get the full picture of what Verizon's LTE network is really like in his area. (In contrast, the AT&T iPhone 5 supports LTE bands 4 and 17, so it has both a capacity band and a coverage band.)

I agree with cctraderx's suggestion of a prepaid Verizon phone and plan. (Or, a used iPhone 5c or 5s would also do. Any iPhone newer than the 5 supports bands 2, 4, 5, and 13, among others. If OP chooses to buy a used Verizon phone that's not an iPhone, LTE bands 4 and 13 are the important ones.)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry K. Nathan View Post
    The Verizon iPhone 5 model supports Verizon's low-frequency coverage bands (13 and 5) but not its mid-frequency capacity bands (4, a.k.a. "XLTE", or 2), so OP won't get the full picture of what Verizon's LTE network is really like in his area. (In contrast, the AT&T iPhone 5 supports LTE bands 4 and 17, so it has both a capacity band and a coverage band.)

I agree with cctraderx's suggestion of a prepaid Verizon phone and plan. (Or, a used iPhone 5c or 5s would also do. Any iPhone newer than the 5 supports bands 2, 4, 5, and 13, among others. If OP chooses to buy a used Verizon phone that's not an iPhone, LTE bands 4 and 13 are the important ones.)
    I picked up a Verizon LG V20 so I would assume that's good to test with?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile and Airalo)
    Feedback Score
    I did this back in October. I used my unlocked AT&T iPhone 6S and bought a month of VZW prepaid. LTE worked fine on on all VZW bands. I was surprised to see in a low coverage area the phone switched to "3x" - as I was able to make calls when it said '3x", but I had no data.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3x sounds really weird you positive it said that/did you get a screenshot? If you were on 3G then it makes sense it switches to 1xRTT for voice and then you are unable to use data while on a call.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast