Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CDMA Phones Cannot Be Unlocked But They Are?

Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up CDMA Phones Cannot Be Unlocked But They Are?

YouTube has tons of videos, and a user own's an Iphone6 and its on sprint but he unlocked it and got to put ultra mobile service on it. How is this possible when CDMA DOES NOT take SIM Cards? Can I unlock my boot mobile CDMA iphone5s and have it work on safelink wireless SIM Card?

Device(s)
    Pixel 4, iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    LTE is SIMM based, so they all now use them. Some (not many though) phones with Qualcomm chips can work on both CDMA and GSM carriers. Most pre-paid carriers are awful about unlocking phones, so you may have to pay a 3rd party site to do it. What is important is to look at which LTE bands your model supports and match them up to the carrier you are looking to move to.

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp685?locale=en_US

Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I will just not do that and risk ruining my phone lol.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
    YouTube has tons of videos, and a user own's an Iphone6 and its on sprint but he unlocked it and got to put ultra mobile service on it. How is this possible when CDMA DOES NOT take SIM Cards? Can I unlock my boot mobile CDMA iphone5s and have it work on safelink wireless SIM Card?
    Boost will unlock your phone if you have 12 consecutive months of service with them.

Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well I use to be with Boost them cancelled my service so can't do that lol.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4, iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well I use to be with Boost them cancelled my service so can't do that lol.
    They may still do it. I would call Boost Mobile Customer Care at 1-888-BOOST-4U and see what they say.

https://www.boostmobile.com/#!/suppo...ocking-policy/

Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SpookyTunes View Post
    They may still do it. I would call Boost Mobile Customer Care at 1-888-BOOST-4U and see what they say.

https://www.boostmobile.com/#!/suppo...ocking-policy/
    But my device on Boost Mobile is CDMA how can i unlock it, to work with a SIM Card?

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    But my device on Boost Mobile is CDMA how can i unlock it, to work with a SIM Card?
    Newer Boost phones are said to work on Metro PCS. It depends on the LTE bands the phone has. To use those bands, Boost uses a ICCID card. You can have this unlocked to be able to read a card from another carrier. Check the phone model at http://willmyphonework.net/ and see if it can be used on another network. If so, you can check online to see who can get you the unlock code.

Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Okay I went to that website, what do I have to pick as far as Carrier goes? I am a member of Safelink Wireless - https://www.safelinkca.com/TracFoneW...index2.html#//

Which I THINK is a part of TracPhone and Net10 but not sure. So which service do I pick? The SafeLink Wireless phone I am using RIGHT NOW is the Alcatel A464BG, which uses a SIM Card.

Now Safelink Wireless, DOES have the option to BUY a NEW iPhone device, BUT you have to pay upfront the full amount of $600-700 bucks. I can't afford that. So I would rather take my Boost Mobile unactivated iPhone5S 16GB and put the Safelink Wireless SIM card in it and use that phone instead.

But again Boost Mobile's iPhone5S 16GB I own is CDMA NOT GSM. So again how and can I do what I want to do or will it not work?

Feedback Score
    The Boost iPhone 5s is the Sprint iPhone 5s except it is locked to Boost. I'm pretty sure the Sprint (Boost) iPhone 5s is the universal model that has CDMA and GSM radios in it. It uses a SIM card. Call Boost and see if they will unlock it for you.
    There are many resources out there for you to look this information up.

Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    How can they unlock it for me, when I am NOT a Boost Mobile customer anymore? Yes there are but they cost lots of money and or are scams.

Feedback Score
    How can they unlock it for me, when I am NOT a Boost Mobile customer anymore? Yes there are but they cost lots of money and or are scams.
    No actually not all of the services cost a lot of money and many are very legit. But you were given excellent advice to call Boost and see if they can unlock it. It costs only time, not money to make that call. So if you want the phone unlocked, quit posting questions and then debating the answers, since you obviously don't know. Then do the work necessary to unlock your phone. Call Boost. Research your particular iphone model for which radios it supports, you'll need the model number. If necessary find a legit unlock service, check reviews...

Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam73065 View Post
    No actually not all of the services cost a lot of money and many are very legit. But you were given excellent advice to call Boost and see if they can unlock it. It costs only time, not money to make that call. So if you want the phone unlocked, quit posting questions and then debating the answers, since you obviously don't know. Then do the work necessary to unlock your phone. Call Boost. Research your particular iphone model for which radios it supports, you'll need the model number. If necessary find a legit unlock service, check reviews...
    Well I called Boost and then unlocked my iPhone, now I have to activate it on my Safelink service once I get the activation kit. I hope this works and if it doesn't I wasted a lot of time and money.

Feedback Score
    I work for a Sprint store, but still take my post with a grain of salt if you have better experience than what I'm about to say. iPhones are easily unlocked over the air and can be used on just about any carrier once they're unlocked. You can get Android phones to work once they're unlocked, but they often won't just work with sticking a new SIM card in them. You may have to reflash the firmware. Most Sprint phones made in the last few years will work on AT&T and T-Mobile networks and their MNVO's once the correct firmware is flashed to them.

Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    I work for a Sprint store, but still take my post with a grain of salt if you have better experience than what I'm about to say. iPhones are easily unlocked over the air and can be used on just about any carrier once they're unlocked. You can get Android phones to work once they're unlocked, but they often won't just work with sticking a new SIM card in them. You may have to reflash the firmware. Most Sprint phones made in the last few years will work on AT&T and T-Mobile networks and their MNVO's once the correct firmware is flashed to them.
    Well I am going to see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast