Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CDMA Phones Cannot Be Unlocked But They Are?

Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    UPDATE!!!!!!

I called Boost Mobile, they unlocked my phone, I then purchased a Net10 Tmobile unlocked SIM Card, and was able to activate my iPhone5S and now have it working on Safelink Wireless's network! Problem solved! Sort of..... now I am dealing with this issue, when I try sending or recieving photos from NON-iPhone numbers, from family or friends, I get this message -

Name:  17199172_10155081048524481_370966819_n.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  47.2 KB

BUT when I send photos to iPhone USERS using iMessage, it works fine. Why am I getting this message, with the NON iPhone users?

Device(s)
    LG G8, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
    UPDATE!!!!!!

I called Boost Mobile, they unlocked my phone, I then purchased a Net10 Tmobile unlocked SIM Card, and was able to activate my iPhone5S and now have it working on Safelink Wireless's network! Problem solved! Sort of..... now I am dealing with this issue, when I try sending or recieving photos from NON-iPhone numbers, from family or friends, I get this message -

Name:  17199172_10155081048524481_370966819_n.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  47.2 KB

BUT when I send photos to iPhone USERS using iMessage, it works fine. Why am I getting this message, with the NON iPhone users?
    You need a specific APN pushed to your phone.
    Maybe you can go to the Safelink forum and try to figure it out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by napy666 View Post

Either Net10 doesn't support MMS or you don't have the MMS proxy server and MMSC settings from Net10 on the iPhone. Normally, with iPhones you don't need to configure the APN, MMS proxy server/MMSC settings since iPhone can read that information off the SIM card. iMessage uses the Apple servers.

If you want to add the MMSC and MMS Proxy Server settings for Net10 you can try using..
    http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/2...-0-introduced/

I remember using this to get the APN changed one of the earlier iPhones I had, either the 3G or 4S.

Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well I managed to get the right APN settings and now I can send photo messages, audio messages as well as video messages too.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    just to clear up some things people may still think, CDMA phones do not necessarily mean locked, or locked to cdma carriers only. In SOME instances, especially in the past, many postpaid and most prepaid phones either had a cdma radio or a GSM radio inside them. The difficulty is (ignoring US cellular) with cdma phones there are 2 choices in networks, sprint and verizon, and it is like a blood feud. CDMA phones have a built in identification number (vs a SIM card) and neither carrier will allow the others on its network to this day still.

That said, should a phone have both radios (and all flagship phones and most budget phones now support gsm and cdma as it is part of the CPU used) then as long as the original carrier unlocks it, you can goto another network carrier (except in the case of sprint <> verizon). The LTE SIM card that is used for cdma carriers just needs to be replaced with a gsm card.

As for when phones can be unlocked, that is a whole nother 800 threads. Also CDMA is kind of special in that MVNO carriers of a network don't need a phone to be unlocked, but simply needs the original owner of the phone (boost, VM, sprint prepaid, ect) to open the IMEI number up. This is usually done automatically after a year a phone is activated (does not need an active account). I was able to bring a number of sprint based phones purchased at all times in the past over to ring+.

Also there may be some special cases, especially in budget phones, where some frequencies are not supported. Verizons LG G4 is actually missing some LTE GSM frequencies, so if I went to tmobile with it then in some areas I would be stuck on 3g.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    As far as I know all new iPhone models (starting with iPhone 5S) have a SIM slot and two radios so they will work with any SIM card once unlocked. I once unlocked my Sprint iPhone 6 with unlockiphone6.us unlock service. Worked great. Here is another thread about the same topic: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...locked-for-GSM

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
    just to clear up some things people may still think, CDMA phones do not necessarily mean locked, or locked to cdma carriers only. In SOME instances, especially in the past, many postpaid and most prepaid phones either had a cdma radio or a GSM radio inside them. The difficulty is (ignoring US cellular) with cdma phones there are 2 choices in networks, sprint and verizon, and it is like a blood feud. CDMA phones have a built in identification number (vs a SIM card) and neither carrier will allow the others on its network to this day still.

That said, should a phone have both radios (and all flagship phones and most budget phones now support gsm and cdma as it is part of the CPU used) then as long as the original carrier unlocks it, you can goto another network carrier (except in the case of sprint <> verizon). The LTE SIM card that is used for cdma carriers just needs to be replaced with a gsm card.

As for when phones can be unlocked, that is a whole nother 800 threads. Also CDMA is kind of special in that MVNO carriers of a network don't need a phone to be unlocked, but simply needs the original owner of the phone (boost, VM, sprint prepaid, ect) to open the IMEI number up. This is usually done automatically after a year a phone is activated (does not need an active account). I was able to bring a number of sprint based phones purchased at all times in the past over to ring+.

Also there may be some special cases, especially in budget phones, where some frequencies are not supported. Verizons LG G4 is actually missing some LTE GSM frequencies, so if I went to tmobile with it then in some areas I would be stuck on 3g.
    Let's go unlimited!

Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well I got my iPhone5s unlocked, and working on Safelink Wireless, using an unlocked SIM Card for Tmobile.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2