Thread: Verizon wins top honors in latest RootMetrics study, besting T-Mobile

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Verizon wins top honors in latest RootMetrics study, besting T-Mobile

Well, according to RootMetrics http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...-verizon-wins/

"Big Red, actually, was dubbed the best provider in every category of mobile network performance testing, the second year in a row it has won this honor."
    Let's go unlimited!

Feedback Score
    They kick butt here in NYC. I'm sure they do well elsewhere, too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I was just glad to see them on top in my market. I'm curious if there are market rankings somewhere since my market was ranked last in the last report. Hoping we got out of the basement!

Feedback Score
    Still waiting for Sensorly to start handing out reports, but maybe it's good they don't so they can remain unbiased.

But agreed Verizon is awesome and Rootmetrics is a neat professional app, much better than Open Signal.

Still something like Sensorly or Cellmapper would be less biased.

Feedback Score

Why don't these reports give kudos to AT&T as a VERY close 2nd. VZW according to the 2nd 1/2 of 2016 doesn't blow AT&T away. Yea VZW is #1 but not by much.

Overall
    VZW 93.9
    AT&T 90.5

Network reliability
    VZW 95.2
    AT&T 92.4

Network speed
    VZW 93.3
    AT&T 89.6

Data performance
    VZW 96.5
    AT&T 94.4

It's like people make it hype likes it's there's VZW then everyone else.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macher52 View Post
    Why don't these reports give kudos to AT&T as a VERY close 2nd. VZW according to the 2nd 1/2 of 2016 doesn't blow AT&T away. Yea VZW is #1 but not by much.

Overall
    VZW 93.9
    AT&T 90.5

Network reliability
    VZW 95.2
    AT&T 92.4

Network speed
    VZW 93.3
    AT&T 89.6

Data performance
    VZW 96.5
    AT&T 94.4

It's like people make it hype likes it's there's VZW then everyone else.
    You jump on people for wanting hotspot on at&t but yet you parade how much you like at&t and how good they are. Makes no sense
    Last edited by anthonyjones; 02-27-2017 at 06:12 AM.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyjones View Post
    You jump on people for wanting hotspot on at&t but yet you parade how much you like at&t and how good they are. Makes no sense
    I've always said that VZW isn't as great as what people make them out to and AT&T isn't as bad as what people make them out to be. Never said how good or not good AT&T is.

People make VZW sound like there's VZW then there's everyone else.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macher52 View Post
    I've always said that VZW isn't as great as what people make them out to and AT&T isn't as bad as what people make them out to be. Never said how good or not good AT&T is.

People make VZW sound like there's VZW then there's everyone else.
    Both verizon and at&t are very good and in some areas at&t is rated number 1. I look less at the overall rating and more for my area. That's a better indication I think

As an example the top rating won't matter if I'm going through west va. Out there I'd want at&t

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    Both verizon and at&t are very good and in some areas at&t is rated number 1. I look less at the overall rating and more for my area. That's a better indication I think

As an example the top rating won't matter if I'm going through west va. Out there I'd want at&t
    I think overall matters. Although in your example you'd want AT&T going through WV and I don't know but it's possible that VZW is a close #2.

Here's a question. Let's say your an over the road truck driver?

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Depends on the areas I'm in most. Overall matters to some extent but individual areas also. That's why testing and other metrics are good starting points but not the end all be all.
    Last edited by wilbur101; 02-27-2017 at 07:44 AM.

Feedback Score

Depends on the areas I'm in most. Overall matters to some extent but individual areas also. That's why testing and other metrics are good starting points but not the end all be all.
    Cause I was talking with a guy at the dog park Saturday who's going over the road and he currently has TMo and he said when he went on a test run to Texas he didn't have service a lot of the time and expected to have more service or something. He's deciding if he should go with VZW, AT&T or Sprint. I told him about the AT&T Car Connect UDP.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like att or Verizon may be best bet. If I was in Texas a lot my first choice would probably be att.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like att or Verizon may be best bet. If I was in Texas a lot my first choice would probably be att.
    Depends on what part of TX tbh. I'm in TX and AT&T is supposed to be better in the state overall. In Dallas, according to one or two reports, Verizon is supposed to be better. In my personal experience, they are both very close where I've gone. Verizon has covered more area with LTE in my travels, but AT&T 4G is quite usable. If I'm not mistaken, Verizon has a large coverage gap somewhere in TX.

I only left AT&T because their customer service was basically unresponsive and haven't chosen to go back because it's 25-30% more for a line.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    Depends on what part of TX tbh. I'm in TX and AT&T is supposed to be better in the state overall. In Dallas, according to one or two reports, Verizon is supposed to be better. In my personal experience, they are both very close where I've gone. Verizon has covered more area with LTE in my travels, but AT&T 4G is quite usable. If I'm not mistaken, Verizon has a large coverage gap somewhere in TX.

I only left AT&T because their customer service was basically unresponsive and haven't chosen to go back because it's 25-30% more for a line.
    He's not going to be in Texas for long maybe a day. But he's going to be driving over the road from Philly to Texas with another driver. He wants data to be consistent from Philly to Texas and back to Philly.
    Last edited by macher52; 02-27-2017 at 05:33 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sororo View Post
    Well, according to RootMetrics http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...-verizon-wins/

"Big Red, actually, was dubbed the best provider in every category of mobile network performance testing, the second year in a row it has won this honor."

While there are probably valid ways to measure Verizon so it comes out on top. RootMetrics is rather flawed, and like OpenSignal, has no validity.