Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Cricket "white SIM cards"

Device(s)
    Gold iPhone 7 Plus (Verizon variant)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless $35/5GB
    Feedback Score
    Green or White Sim I don’t see any difference in terms of connection. My sim is green from Best Buy installed on April 2016, oldie one and working everything on AT&T mobility...text, call, WiFi calling, Volte, etc...all update

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mtr999 View Post
    Green or White Sim I don’t see any difference in terms of connection. My sim is green from Best Buy installed on April 2016, oldie one and working everything on AT&T mobility...text, call, WiFi calling, Volte, etc...all update
    Nice, what phone model are you running WiFi calling and VOLTE?

Device(s)
    Gold iPhone 7 Plus (Verizon variant)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless $35/5GB
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ;16952838
    Nice, what phone model are you running WiFi calling and VOLTE?
    It’s Verizon variant 7 plus (A1661)unlocked bought from Apple store September 2016 but the old green sim is activated in April with 6 s plus which was sold that year.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mtr999 View Post
    It’s Verizon variant 7 plus (A1661)unlocked bought from Apple store September 2016 but the old green sim is activated in April with 6 s plus which was sold that year.
    Good info, thanks! That's a definite plus about running iPhones on Cricket's network

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-vze rugby 3,z892
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by <<M>> View Post
    Does the SIM color matter anymore? (it's Jan 2018 now) I was going to buy a SIM off of eBay, will it make any difference if I get the 'old' green Sim or the new 'white' Sim at this point?
    There was a lot of chatter about this maybe about a year ago, when there was a difference as to which switch or something carried the data. There were posts on how to check. There was a gradual transition to eliminate that issue, as both green and white were using the same faster service. And as I recall the difference was mainly ping times, which were significant. I've never seen a white card,afaik.

Feedback Score
    You're not going to see any difference between green, white, yellow, red, or blue sims when your service is capped and deprioritized. The outcome is always the same: "How come I can't stream youtube without buffering?"

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    There was a lot of chatter about this maybe about a year ago, when there was a difference as to which switch or something carried the data. There were posts on how to check. There was a gradual transition to eliminate that issue, as both green and white were using the same faster service. And as I recall the difference was mainly ping times, which were significant. I've never seen a white card,afaik.
    You are correct - basically the "green" cards were the older design that went through proxy servers. They were transitioned to AT&T's in-house system (as AT&T was using something similar for Stream Saver and the 3Mbps speed tier on the Unlimited Choice plan - why not consolidate?). White SIMs were released after that started happening, so if they were activated, they'd skip right ahead to the new setup. Likewise, current customers who wanted to force a move could switch to a white SIM and do that.

At this point, everyone has been transitioned, and the ping times are much, much lower (close to actual AT&T service in many places), not to mention there are fewer voicemail and SMS gremlins. They marketed the change as a "voicemail upgrade" - this was also mandatory to be in place before VoLTE would be activated on supported devices.

In terms of appearance, here are the two SIM kits side-by-side: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...5#post16848325

For what it's worth, I moved my line on a white SIM (started with it) off of Cricket in November and came back in late December, using a random unused green SIM kit I had lying around. The experience was the same, so these days it doesn't matter if you pick up a green SIM cheap (or have one lying around) or get a white SIM through other means. To be honest, an unused Aio SIM would probably do the same if you happen to have one lying around (if you do, let me know!)

It looks like there's yet another SIM kit floating around that's a smaller "box" shape that is appearing at a few places. I'll have to see if the SIMs themselves are different.

Device(s)
    Le Pro3 / Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    At this point, everyone has been transitioned, and the ping times are much, much lower (close to actual AT&T service in many places), not to mention there are fewer voicemail and SMS gremlins. They marketed the change as a "voicemail upgrade" - this was also mandatory to be in place before VoLTE would be activated on supported devices.
    Nice summary. Despite many dismissing those 'gremlins' as something that happens to all carriers it was truly an issue disproportionate with Cricket. Many left because of it including myself. Have never looked back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by actinic View Post
    Nice summary. Despite many dismissing those 'gremlins' as something that happens to all carriers it was truly an issue disproportionate with Cricket. Many left because of it including myself. Have never looked back.
    Who did you end up going with and what plan are you on?

Device(s)
    Le Pro3 / Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by <<M>> View Post
    Who did you end up going with and what plan are you on?
    Primary is MintSim with wifi calling as a nice added feature. $12.50/mth for 10 gigs for the next 6 months, unlimited voice/text thanks to their end of year promotion.

Back up is Red Pocket on the AT&T network with their 500/500/500 plan. $84/yr. I really haven't needed it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by actinic View Post
    I heard it was really frustrating if you had the "right" combination of device and location. I came in after it started (from AR&T postpaid), so from a service standpoint, things were pretty close. For those that put up with the transition, it was a big upgrade, but I completely understand the urge to go elsewhere.

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-vze rugby 3,z892
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, it's really a miracle that those of us who simply rode out the distant sound of thunder were somehow able to endure that devastating event. I am in awe the entire cricket mvno system and possibly AT&T's system as well didn't just collapse. Oh I just remembered that while I was with AT&T they replaced their sims as well. Do you think the issue may have been just the sheer amount of time/materials/etc/etc in enabling several million sims in whatever time frame one chose to do so.

Truthfully, I never noticed and would have never of been aware of the swap over. It took maybe two months for all our lines to be moved or whatever. The only difference we noticed, was a drop in ping times which of course was a good thing, but not nearly as significant/useful/etc/etc as their multiple data allowance increases on numerous plans, and the introduction of a wider selection of unlimited data plans.

This sim thing appears just to have been another system/performance upgrade. Would you have preferred they just didn't do so?

Ninety nine percent plus of cricket users who aren't forum readers, never had a clue as to the horrible issue, maybe because there really wasn't one.

Device(s)
    Le Pro3 / Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Reddit had a number of posts pre conversion on Cricket's issues back in the day.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T via Cricket Wireless, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via Motorola SmartZone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    You're not going to see any difference between green, white, yellow, red, or blue sims when your service is capped and deprioritized. The outcome is always the same: "How come I can't stream youtube without buffering?"
    Man I am so glad you are wrong...

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

New Cricket &quot;white SIM cards&quot;

Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    i just finished watching a few Jackson Crawford videos on youtube with an Unlimited 2 line without buffering issues, but hey, our favourite anti-AT&T/Cricket troll keeps trying. I admire such tenacity.

I have had aio/cricket since September 2013. It hasn’t been perfect, but then neither has my experience with any other carrier either. Sadly the Cricket line has often been faster than my Verizon line.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast