Thread: Moto E Texts being used up quickly

Feedback Score

Moto E Texts being used up quickly

I have a Moto E, TracFone, Android V 4.4.4 Guessing 1st Gen.

I seems that my texts are being used up very fast. I try to use my texts at home using my WiFi. I understand that texting using WiFi will not use my text minutes up. Is that correct?

How would I check this? The Text, Data and Phone minutes are not deducted immediately, so how could I see what is going on?

How are all texting (in and out) accounted for?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Here is a quick edit: I just confirmed that 1 text was used while the phone was used at home and the WiFi is connected...

Thanks

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Texts will be billed regardless if your on wi-fi or not.

If you do alot of texting TracFone may not be good for your needs since there is much better deals to be had for people that use them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by atlarge View Post
    I have a Moto E, TracFone, Android V 4.4.4 Guessing 1st Gen.

I seems that my texts are being used up very fast. I try to use my texts at home using my WiFi. I understand that texting using WiFi will not use my text minutes up. Is that correct?

How would I check this? The Text, Data and Phone minutes are not deducted immediately, so how could I see what is going on?

How are all texting (in and out) accounted for?
    Texts from one number to one number count as one TF text unit. These use cellular only. There is no use of Wifi or mobile data. Each text in or out counts as one TF text unit.

Grout texts count as one text for each recipient and use some mobile data. Wifi for this doesn't work on many phones. If you are doing group texts they can eat up a lot of text units.

You can use a Over the Top app, like Google Voice or Hangouts, to send and receive texts over data (Wifi or mobile), but those don't use your native cell phone number.

Feedback Score
    Hello,

Thanks for the quick reply. I know I'm getting old (1950 Model), but I have another Tracfone, Moto E- 1st gen, triple minutes for life, and when I received it the instructions said that if I sent a text message, from home using WiFi I would not be charged. Am I loosing my mind? I'm still looking for the instructions.

Gee where did I put them...

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    There are two types of texts. SMS which are regular texts and MMS which are group texts and picture mail.

SMS and MMS do not get sent over WiFi. They are sent over cellular network even if you are connected to WiFi. The only exception might be WiFi calling. Not sure if WiFi calling feature allows texts over WiFi.

Typically the only messages that get sent over WiFi are Over The Top apps like iMessage, Hangouts, Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, etc. But then both sender and receiver need to be signed up for those services on their devices. If you have a select group of contacts that you message regularly, you could all pick one and use it to send each other messages over WiFi without using minutes.

You could also look into using a free texting service like text now, which offers free WiFi calling and texting.