Thread: Directv and LTE/4G antenna sharing same coaxial

Feedback Score

Directv and LTE/4G antenna sharing same coaxial

I already have Dtv with RG6 coaxial running from the roof. I am trying to set up an antenna to bring in wireless internet (AT&T) into a hotspot/router. It would be great if I could use the same cable runs with both Dtv and ATT LTE by installing splitters/diplexers. Does anyone know if this would work?
    Bart

Device(s)
    Motorola G6
    Carrier(s)
    Page Pluss
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bartman59 View Post
    I already have Dtv with RG6 coaxial running from the roof. I am trying to set up an antenna to bring in wireless internet (AT&T) into a hotspot/router. It would be great if I could use the same cable runs with both Dtv and ATT LTE by installing splitters/diplexers. Does anyone know if this would work?
    Bart
    Yes, this can work. There are some practical details. The first of these is that the electronics on the DirecTV dish are powered by a voltage sent up the transmission line. Furthermore, the actual voltage - either 14 volts or 18 volts switches antenna polarity from right-hand to left hand (circular) polarity in the DirecTV dish. Therefore, you must respect this wiring. Typical cable TV parts are not compatible.

After you find parts which are grossly compatible - then the problem is parts that can withstand the weather *AND* can mate with wi-fi -like parts that you'd find on a "hotspot" gadjet. In particular, parts that combine Type-F and reverse-SMA conectors will not be found at the swap meet.

Instead, I suggest you consider a roof-mounted "power-over-eithernet" (POE) wireless access point. Common, purpose-built, and not very expensive.

Regards, FJ

Feedback Score
    Thaks for the reply. I have decided to forgo the Directv/LTE proposed setup as the potential LTE signal loss over RG6 was going to be too much for my run. Thank you though for the suggestions.

Bart