Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Credit score of 800+ but requiring a deposit?

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular GSM
    Feedback Score

Credit score of 800+ but requiring a deposit?

So I have a credit score of 800+ across the three bureaus (810,818,and 815 respectively) with low debt (under 5k, 2k resolving and 3k in loans) and 15+ years of payment history (no blemishes, ever).

T-mobile is requiring $180 deposit for 4 lines. I reached out to their twitter and they said "I cannot see the exact credit score, it is not reflective of an 800 credit" and told me to reach out to consumer affairs (which was the number for Experian). I pulled my Experian report, got a score of 810 and it looks just like the other 2.

What gives? What does "I have pulled up your account, and although I cannot see the exact credit score, it is not reflective of an 800 credit score" mean?

Is there anyone else I can escalate this too? It seems something is disconnected. I did get alerts that T-Mobile pulled my credit so I do know they pulled my report. Just not sure what it is exactly the took?
    -Ben

Feedback Score
    Something is not right there for sure. My credit score is much lower than that. It's not in the bad range but the lower good range and I was given an 'A' grade by T-Mobile with $4000 available to purchase phones. Same exact thing at Verizon because I just opened a new line with them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MacFrog View Post
    So I have a credit score of 800+ across the three bureaus (810,818,and 815 respectively) with low debt (under 5k, 2k resolving and 3k in loans) and 15+ years of payment history (no blemishes, ever).

T-mobile is requiring $180 deposit for 4 lines. I reached out to their twitter and they said "I cannot see the exact credit score, it is not reflective of an 800 credit" and told me to reach out to consumer affairs (which was the number for Experian). I pulled my Experian report, got a score of 810 and it looks just like the other 2.

What gives? What does "I have pulled up your account, and although I cannot see the exact credit score, it is not reflective of an 800 credit score" mean?

Is there anyone else I can escalate this too? It seems something is disconnected. I did get alerts that T-Mobile pulled my credit so I do know they pulled my report. Just not sure what it is exactly the took?
    I am in the same situation, dont understand with my credit also how they require deposit, i go anywhere i can drive off with a car with no down payment

Feedback Score
    If your credit score is that high you should be able to cover $180.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    There are options other than T-Mobile. If you don't like their deal, you can shop elsewhere.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular GSM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    If your credit score is that high you should be able to cover $180.
    Don't care about the $180 - more worried about being dinged for the lower class. What am I not aware of that's being factored into this?

Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    There are options other than T-Mobile. If you don't like their deal, you can shop elsewhere.
    Thanks - that is about as helpful as support who told me "Just cancel and try again in 63 days"

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Don't care about the $180 - more worried about being dinged for the lower class. What am I not aware of that's being factored into this?

Thanks - that is about as helpful as support who told me "Just cancel and try again in 63 days"
    I find carriers' business practices to be rather bizarre. We have credit similar to yours and couldn't get an account with Sprint because we couldn't recall obscure facts about cars we sold over 20 years ago or because they had bad information about my sister-in-law's birthday. Couldn't pass their credit ID test, twice. Gave up and never darkened their doorway again. So, the advice I gave you is what I practice.

Feedback Score
    I find carriers' business practices to be rather bizarre. We have credit similar to yours and couldn't get an account with Sprint because we couldn't recall obscure facts about cars we sold over 20 years ago or because they had bad information about my sister-in-law's birthday. Couldn't pass their credit ID test, twice. Gave up and never darkened their doorway again. So, the advice I gave you is what I practice.
    This is a countermeasure against identity theft, which is rampant. Theory is, the thieves won't know obscure details, but you would.

As far as the OP, have you actually pulled your whole credit report, or just the score? I would recommend you look at your entire report to check for errors or accounts you did not open.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveOh View Post
    This is a countermeasure against identity theft, which is rampant. Theory is, the thieves won't know obscure details, but you would...
    I chatted about our experience with a cook in a local restaurant. He said, "I've only owned three things in my entire life. They always ask about the same three things. I never have any problems passing those tests." My wife and I have a credit history going back 40+ years. I asked Sprint's telephone quizmaster what car he was driving in 1991 and he had to admit that he wasn't even alive then. I have no problem answering questions. I do have a problem remembering what month we paid off the note on the '92 Altima.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I chatted about our experience with a cook in a local restaurant. He said, "I've only owned three things in my entire life. They always ask about the same three things. I never have any problems passing those tests." My wife and I have a credit history going back 40+ years. I asked Sprint's telephone quizmaster what car he was driving in 1991 and he had to admit that he wasn't even alive then. I have no problem answering questions. I do have a problem remembering what month we paid off the note on the '92 Altima.
    Do you have items on your reports that are more recent for them to use? Usually they don't go that far back unless the isn't much from the last 10 years for them to use.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seezar View Post
    Do you have items on your reports that are more recent for them to use? Usually they don't go that far back unless the isn't much from the last 10 years for them to use.
    Yes but they pulled questions from all over the place. My point isn't about why we failed Sprint's credit ID test, twice. It's that this is the procedure Sprint adopted. It was a barrier to us doing business with Sprint, just like the deposit seems to be the OP's barrier to doing business with T-Mobile. Our response to Sprint's policies was exactly what I advised the OP to do wrt T-Mobile, we took our business elsewhere.

If anyone is interested in our Sprint experience, you can look here.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes but they pulled questions from all over the place. My point isn't about why we failed Sprint's credit ID test, twice. It's that this is the procedure Sprint adopted. It was a barrier to us doing business with Sprint, just like the deposit seems to be the OP's barrier to doing business with T-Mobile. Our response to Sprint's policies was exactly what I advised the OP to do wrt T-Mobile, we took our business elsewhere.

If anyone is interested in our Sprint experience, you can look here.
    I get the point and understand the sentiment. Usually these challenges, both yours and the OPs are because of something with your consumer reports. Just saying it helps to understand everything these reporting agencies have on you. Not everyone has these same issues so there​ are certain properties of some reports that trigger systems to react certain ways.

Not saying it's right to put some consumers at an inconvenience but it's worth someone to look into their own data. If you have an issue like these whether it be with TMobile or Sprint, it's most likely you'll run into it again with another company. Usually the credit checking and validation services are done by a third party.

Feedback Score
    Did you complete the order over the phone? It's possible the rep mistyped your name or some part of your information, causing a non-match and thus a designation of a default risk category...

Feedback Score
    I too was asked for a deposit when my credit is around 750-780. What did I do? Went to att at the time. DRNewcomb is giving you sound advice take your business elsewhere. Don't bother arguing with their reps they probably won't be able to change a thing.

Feedback Score
    I don't know what that means: "worried about being dinged for the lower class." If you can afford the $180 then what is there to worry about? Put down the refundable deposit that will be returned to you eventually if you satisfy your future obligations with T-Mobile, take your four new lines and move on with your life.

Why would you even waste time finding someone that you can "escalate this too"?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast