Thread: No signal strength on Galaxy J1 Luna Straight Talk Phone

Feedback Score

No signal strength on Galaxy J1 Luna Straight Talk Phone

I purchased two new Galaxy Luna J1 phones from Walmart on their unlimited Straight Talk plans and the phones worked flawlessly for a month up until yesterday, then both phones lost all signal strength bars and have never recovered more than 1 bar since. I called Straight Talk and they said the problem was my Sim card and they mailed me a new one. 3 days before I get the new Sim card with no phone service till then really sucks.

My phone tries to make calls, but I cannot hear any phone ringing sounds in the call process, then after about a minute the phone automatically drops the call connection.

At a loss as to what could be causing the sudden loss of operation and how a new Sim card can be its salvation, anyone else experienced the same issues?

Feedback Score
    OK, here is a follow up to my first post, I have no cell service in my living room with this Galaxy Luna J1 phone, but when I left for work I got service back about a mile from the house with 3G and 3 1/2 signal bars. I was able to make and receive calls. When I got back home I checked the phone signal strength about a half mile out and it showed 3G and 3 bars. I made a call. As soon as I hit the call button the 3G dropped off completely and the signal went to zero bars. When I ended the call I got my 3G indicator back and 3 bars of signal strength, the phone would not ring in my ear like a normal call does and it dropped the call itself after about a minute (of complete silence in my ear while the phone showed it was dialing the number). Two more attempts proved no different from the first.

On top of this, my wife's Galaxy J1 now shows a screen message that it does not have a Sim card installed, but the original Sim card is still in the phone. She has absolutely no service whatsoever.

I wish there was a way you could "test drive" a phone before you shell out money for them to make sure they work before you buy them.

Does anyone have a suggestion for getting the phones to pull in a signal better?

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sounds like both phones are defective. Return them if possible and get something else.
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition

Feedback Score
    It is beginning to look like the phones can't pull in a weak signal, but this issue never existed before last weekend, both phones worked flawlessly up until then.
    Straight Talk has offered to send us two new Sim cards and they arrive tomorrow, we will see if they correct the problems we are having. The ST rep also said there could be maintenance going on with the local cell tower, not sure how anyone can check that. You would think someone would put the word out that loss of signal would be forthcoming during any kind of maintenance.
    I have already begun to look at other phones to see which are the least susceptible to signal loss.
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    OK, after a week of persistence and online hours logged with Straight Talk reps, I have finally learned that a local Verizon cell tower is being worked on and we can't be told when it will be back up and running again. Meanwhile, we still have no cell signal strength to make or receive calls from home, but 4 miles away from home the phones work perfectly.
    Here is my question, I walked around the house outside with my phone ans depending on which direction I pointed it I got signal strength readings anywhere from -108 dBm to -119 dBm on a clear day. We have a treeline behind us and two ponds in front, the closest cell tower is thru the trees, so if I installed an external cell booster antenna with the dBm readings I showed, could a cell signal booster with an external antenna pull in enough signal to get us at least 2-3 signal bars so we can make a call? I do not know enough about cell signal boosters but not wanting to spend a lot of money on something that won't work. Anyone have experience with cell signal boosters? I have a Verizon phone thru Straight Talk on their unlimited everything plan. Any help is appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Several weeks later and hours logged in on the Straight Talk chat screens produced no better reception, even after trying two different phones. Today, finally, I have 3 bars of signal strength and 4G connectivity. The problem was resolved by dropping service with Straight Talk and going to Verizon directly, a network extender purchased that piggy backs off our wifi router did the trick. We are now able to send and receive calls from our house again, even with the weak cell signal are getting because of our remote location in the country. The added equipment was not cheap, but a one time purchase of a couple hundred bucks should pay for itself in the long run, just not having to go thru the hassle of chat screens and hold time on the phone to service reps will be worth it.
    If you are in a spotty area, I highly recommend the network extender Verizon provides, it was an instantaneous hookup and after about an hour the GPS feature was set and everything started providing excellent signal strength to put us back online again. Our signal strength dropped from -120 dBm to -85 dBm with the addition of the network extender hardware, it just solved a big problem for us with signal reception.

Feedback Score
    Very interesting situation. I did not encounter such problems.