Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Single Device Plan 1GB - $10/Month...Device Question...?

Device(s)
    V9x
    Carrier(s)
    at&t Mobility
    Feedback Score

Single Device Plan 1GB - $10/Month...Device Question...?

I have been on the "Single Device Plan" 1GB - $10/Month for about a month now.

From Vzw website:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/plans...vice-plan/1gb/

A simple plan for a single device.
    The Single Device Plan connects one tablet, hotspot, wearable or other connected device to America’s best network.
    Get 1GB of data plus Unlimited Talk & Text for as low as $10/mo when you enroll in Auto Pay. No line access charge.
    No data-sharing so you are in total control.

I am using this plan on a Verizon Samsung Galaxy J1 (prepaid version).

The data on the smartphone works fine but tethering through the onboard Verizon "app" did not work, I just got a nag screen saying I had to subscribe.

I have since rooted the J1 and installed WiFi Tether Router app. Hotspot function on the J1 now works through the WiFi Tether Router app.

So I now have the functionality of a tablet and a hotspot on one device (the rooted Galaxy J1).

I would like to get functionality of the "unlimited talk & text" this plan offers on my Galaxy J1 as well.

When I go to the Status screen of the J1 it tells me I have a Wisconsin phone number but I cannot use the J1 to make/receive calls (other than to 611) and it will not send/receive SMS/MMS.

In conversations with Vzw tech support and staff at corp stores I have discovered the "unlimited talk & text" this plan offers only works on a device like the LG GizmoGadget Watch/Phone.

I have also been told this plan is not a "traditional" voice/SMS/MMS plan, but all the voice/SMS/MMS traffic goes over an "IP" connection, therefore it is not subject to the higher taxes a "traditional" voice plan is subject to. I would have to agree with that, as the taxes on the plan are less than $1.00 a month for me.

So my question is how can I get the functionality of the voice/SMS/MMS this plan offers on my rooted J1? It would be kind of a pain to use the J1 for tablet and hotspot function and them have to move the SIM card to the LG GizmoGadget to make a voice call or send a text message.

With a rooted Android device there must be a way to "simulate" the LG GizmoGadget so I can fully take advantage of all this plan has to offer without having to switch devices...

Hman

Feedback Score
    How did you sign up? Did you activate a tablet then swap the sim into your phone?

Feedback Score
    I have a better idea, use the right device for the right plan. If you want a phone then get a plan that is designed to work with your phone.

Device(s)
    V9x
    Carrier(s)
    at&t Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpolska View Post
    How did you sign up? Did you activate a tablet then swap the sim into your phone?
    I activated with a Verizon iPad. I then took the nano SIM out of the iPad and put it in my Galaxy J1...

Device(s)
    V9x
    Carrier(s)
    at&t Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam73065 View Post
    I have a better idea, use the right device for the right plan. If you want a phone then get a plan that is designed to work with your phone.
    Sam73065, I am just trying to take advantage of all the plan has to offer. Why should Vzw care what device I am using my 1GB/month on?

In fact they don't care. Vzw knows full well I am using a Samsung J1 (a brand new prepaid one at that) as a "tablet".

When I log into my Vzw account on the app it even says under device SAMSUNG GALAXY J1 PP.

Also, a full blown "smartphone" plan is much more than $10 and change a month.
    Last edited by hman414; 03-22-2017 at 04:23 PM.

Feedback Score
    Any chance you could put it back in the iPad and try to send a text message (not an iMessage)

If you can send a text through the iPad, I'm wondering if you could use the talk and text with the sim in a device capable of volte on Verizon , like an iPhone

Feedback Score
    What about Google Voice?
    °(((=((===°°°(((================================================

Device(s)
    V9x
    Carrier(s)
    at&t Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
    What about Google Voice?
    Yes, there are many apps such as Whatsapp/Skype/G V which can work with only the data connection, but these apps need to be "pre-arranged" with both parties. The apps are not universal, like making a cellular phone call or sending a SMS message...

What's strange is the spec for the LG GizmoGadget says it supports:

Network: 1.9 GHz CDMA PCS, 800 MHz CDMA

Which to me says it's makes calls with a standard circuit switched cellular voice connection, not a data connection like VoLTE...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hman414 View Post
    Yes, there are many apps such as Whatsapp/Skype/G V which can work with only the data connection, but these apps need to be "pre-arranged" with both parties. The apps are not universal, like making a cellular phone call or sending a SMS message...

What's strange is the spec for the LG GizmoGadget says it supports:

Network: 1.9 GHz CDMA PCS, 800 MHz CDMA

Which to me says it's makes calls with a standard circuit switched cellular voice connection, not a data connection like VoLTE...
    Google Voice can place calls to US numbers for free and also able to send SMS messages. There's also Vonage that I believe still offers free calls to US numbers.

The other ones you mention require both parties to have the app, or you pay for calls to non-app users.

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpolska View Post
    Any chance you could put it back in the iPad and try to send a text message (not an iMessage)

If you can send a text through the iPad, I'm wondering if you could use the talk and text with the sim in a device capable of volte on Verizon , like an iPhone
    You can't do this on an iPad, the messages app doesn't support sending SMS from the SIM's number.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This plan is not intended for smartphones, use it as intended, don't ask how to hack it so you can use it as not intended.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hman414 View Post
    Sam73065, I am just trying to take advantage of all the plan has to offer. Why should Vzw care what device I am using my 1GB/month on?

In fact they don't care. Vzw knows full well I am using a Samsung J1 (a brand new prepaid one at that) as a "tablet".

When I log into my Vzw account on the app it even says under device SAMSUNG GALAXY J1 PP.

Also, a full blown "smartphone" plan is much more than $10 and change a month.
    Every carrier knows full well what device we use.
    They get an update verfy often, they have our IMEI, everytime the system updates our information, which is often.
    Ao if they eally cared about enforcing their own rules, they could, but it seems, that they are not, at least in your situation, at least so far.
    So take it with a grain of salt.
    At best, they will tolearte it.
    Slightly worse, they will kick you off the plan.
    At worst, they will blacklist the device, not sure if all devices used under this plan, but probably the one currently being used, and then you will no longer be able to use this device in any carrier, very likely ever.

So, just be careful.

Also, spread the knowledge, tell us if you ever get blackliated so that the whole community can better operate.

Also tell us if they never blacklist you so that the entirr community can better function.

Device(s)
    Essential, StarTAC, Lots of mobile broadband
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    This legal statue is very relevant for this exercise:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/27.16

The haters will hate, but the law is crystal clear:

Licensees offering service on spectrum subject to this section shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee's C Block network
    Confine yourself to Band 13 and VoLTE if things get dirty.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/27.16

The haters will hate, but the law is crystal clear:

Confine yourself to Band 13 and VoLTE if things get dirty.
    So how does one limit their usage to Band 13 when carrier are multi-band?
    Is there a way to make the setting to fix itself to only use band 13?
    And Isn't Band 13 exclusively used by Verizon Wireless, so then all other carriers will not have use of this clause?

Device(s)
    iPhone 5, iPad 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    Licensees offering service on spectrum subject to this section shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee's C Block network
    Crystal as mud. On the right plan there is no restriction. I don't see anywhere in the legal statute where is indicates it must be on any offered plan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast