Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 68

Thread: Unlocked Smart Phones that will Work on All Four Nationwide U.S. Carriers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,063
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    Unlocked Smart Phones that will Work on All Four Nationwide U.S. Carriers

    See attached chart. Let me know if I missed any. Note that some other models do support both CDMA and GSM but Verizon and Sprint won't let you directly activate them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,030
    Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    You need to add the Nexus 6P (Huawei) and Nexus 6 (Motorola). While some had issues with the Nexus 6 when it was first released, I believe that changed when Verizon started selling the phone directly. Also, the Moto G4, G4 Plus, and G4 Play.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,776
    Feedback Score
    0
    wrong topic sorry
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,063
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    You need to add the Nexus 6P (Huawei) and Nexus 6 (Motorola). While some had issues with the Nexus 6 when it was first released, I believe that changed when Verizon started selling the phone directly. Also, the Moto G4, G4 Plus, and G4 Play.
    Yes, my mistake. Though the Nexus 6 and 6P are no longer being sold.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    12,221
    Feedback Score
    0
    ZTE Axon 7. Does Sprint really matter? What % of market share do they have?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,063
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    ZTE Axon 7. Does Sprint really matter? What % of market share do they have?
    Well the ZTE Axon 7 can be made to work, but it's not an approved Verizon device so you have to go through some rigamarole to get it to work.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,030
    Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    Yes, my mistake. Though the Nexus 6 and 6P are no longer being sold.
    The Nexus 6P is still being sold new through Project Fi. In fact, it is a great deal at $399, especially since you can cancel Project Fi service the day after you get your phone. And you do have the Nexus 5X listed, which I believe is also only offered through Project Fi.

    Beyond that, it is worth listing them as some people may be interested in used/refurbished phones.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,063
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    ZTE Axon 7. Does Sprint really matter? What % of market share do they have?
    Sprint still allows Verizon roaming, at least for voice and SMS (and some data), so the reality is that they have better total coverage than T-Mobile. Unfortunately, in areas with both Sprint and Verizon service you often can't roam on Verizon even when Sprint has no usable signal.

    Not sure what a merger between Sprint and T-Mobile would bring to either carrier. A merger of second tier carriers won't create a first tier carrier.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,795
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    ZTE Axon 7. Does Sprint really matter? What % of market share do they have?
    14% and I care very much. I get free and cheap data on Sprint with no monthly fees. For a general purpose, daily carry, work anywhere phone, Sprint and T-Mobile are both too weak to consider where I live and travel.

    I have a fully functional smartphone with full service as a glovebox phone for $5 with Sprint-Tello. It is a pathetic old phone that takes five minutes to start up to the point where is will make a phone call. I really should also have a dumbphone for emergency calls.

    Having Sprint around helps keep ATT and Vz as competitive as they are.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,063
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    185
    Feedback Score
    0
    iPhones don't have to be purchased directly from Apple

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    12,221
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you don't, they may be SIM locked to a specific carrier after activation until the phone is paid off and then you have to request the carrier unlock it.

    Quote Originally Posted by HFA View Post
    iPhones don't have to be purchased directly from Apple

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    3,182
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    Sprint still allows Verizon roaming, at least for voice and SMS (and some data), so the reality is that they have better total coverage than T-Mobile. Unfortunately, in areas with both Sprint and Verizon service you often can't roam on Verizon even when Sprint has no usable signal.

    Not sure what a merger between Sprint and T-Mobile would bring to either carrier. A merger of second tier carriers won't create a first tier carrier.
    1) T-Mobile has much better data coverage than Sprint. Sprint having more voice square miles than T-Mobile due to roaming on Verizon might make Sprint "better" if we were talking 2005. But in 2017, data coverage has become a necessary part of the mobile experience for the majority.

    2) A merger of second tier carriers might well help one, T-Mobile, become a first tier carrier. I would be fine with TMO buying Sprint and using and/or selling its resources to help Sprint become a better first-tier carrier faster. It's not like the Sprint resources are doing much good other than providing people amusement value from the ballsy false advertising (99% as good as Verizon!!!) and the antics of the likes of RingPlus and seeing all those clueless Sprint-based MVNOs that charge more than Verizon for the Sprint experience.

    If you see yellow, it is time to flush it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,030
    Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    1) T-Mobile has much better data coverage than Sprint. Sprint having more voice square miles than T-Mobile due to roaming on Verizon might make Sprint "better" if we were talking 2005. But in 2017, data coverage has become a necessary part of the mobile experience for the majority.

    2) A merger of second tier carriers might well help one, T-Mobile, become a first tier carrier. I would be fine with TMO buying Sprint and using and/or selling its resources to help Sprint become a better first-tier carrier faster. It's not like the Sprint resources are doing much good other than providing people amusement value from the ballsy false advertising (99% as good as Verizon!!!) and the antics of the likes of RingPlus and seeing all those clueless Sprint-based MVNOs that charge more than Verizon for the Sprint experience.

    If you see yellow, it is time to flush it.
    To be fair, Sprint's advertising isn't false, just misleading. It is a lot like AT&T advertising they have the "strongest" network -- what does that even mean? In Sprint's case, they say their "reliability," which is likely how frequently calls drop, is within 1% of Verizon -- and that number is likely boosted by the number of Sprint users that are roaming on Verizon. The stat is true, just misleading since it has nothing to do with how much of the US it covers. Basically all the carriers do advertising like this, as noted with AT&T above, you just have to carefully evaluate exactly what they are claiming.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    185
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    If you don't, they may be SIM locked to a specific carrier after activation until the phone is paid off and then you have to request the carrier unlock it.
    Yes, depends on where you buy it http://howardforums.com/showthread.php/1887769

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-08-2013, 07:38 AM
  2. Looking For: WTB any smart phone that will work on mobilicity
    By callam in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-03-2012, 11:51 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 10:21 AM
  4. WTB: any phone that will work on the TELUS network
    By blah in forum Non GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-10-2003, 01:48 PM
  5. WTB: cheap GSM phones that will work on rogers
    By shinjiplus in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2002, 03:04 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks