Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Unlocked Smart Phones that will Work on All Four Nationwide U.S. Carriers

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you buy an iPhone for Verizon, either from Verizon themselves or from Apple direct, it is GSM-unlocked straight away. I don't know about the others.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    To be fair, Sprint's advertising isn't false, just misleading. It is a lot like AT&T advertising they have the "strongest" network -- what does that even mean? In Sprint's case, they say their "reliability," which is likely how frequently calls drop, is within 1% of Verizon -- and that number is likely boosted by the number of Sprint users that are roaming on Verizon. The stat is true, just misleading since it has nothing to do with how much of the US it covers. Basically all the carriers do advertising like this, as noted with AT&T above, you just have to carefully evaluate exactly what they are claiming.
    "Fewest dropped calls" was very misleading. If you can't place a call because there's no signal then your percentage of dropped calls falls.

"Strongest network" was just stupid.

Then there's the claims of the percentage of people covered, rather than the percentage of area covered.

And the columnists who get paid for their articles advising people to check coverage at their house prior to selecting a carrier. WTF does "coverage at your house" matter. You can have free VOIP service at home with Google Voice and an Obi box, or get the carrier to provide a microcell. You really want to check coverage in all the locations you're likely to travel to. If you never leave cities you can get by with any of the carriers. If you take road trips that go through, or to, more remote locations then you are better off choosing one of the two top tier carriers. I recall a road trip we did with some friends from Minnesota, driving through rural Minnesota, South Dakota, and Wyoming. We had Verizon and had coverage just about everywhere. They had T-Mobile and we could rarely contact them. In Yosemite, someplace we go a couple of times a year, there is no T-Mobile coverage at all in the area. AT&T has mediocre coverage, Verizon has good coverage (they bought a very good small rural carrier that had done a good job at covering rural parts of their territory). If you go to Alaska, Verizon has no CDMA network, only LTE, but you can roam onto the Alaskan CDMA carrier. CDMA coverage in that area is much better than GSM coverage because of the advantages of CDMA technology in terms of tower spacing and maximum distance (AMPS was even better!).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    If you buy an iPhone for Verizon, either from Verizon themselves or from Apple direct, it is GSM-unlocked straight away. I don't know about the others.
    Are you sure that is unlocked for domestic GSM? And does Apple throttle the ones they sell directly like they are throttling the Verizon model? The AT&T model uses the less capable Intel radio, and Apple throttled the Qualcomm radio on the Verizon phone. But the Apple unlocked model may be exactly the same as the Verizon model.

The only reason to buy from a Verizon store is that they offer longer financing terms. The price is the same. In my area, everyone knows someone that works for Apple and can get a 15% friends and family discount if buying direct, but I don't think you can get financing with that discount and for some people that matters a lot.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Updated. Added the Moto G5 Plus. Added in the UMTS band support. Some pricing has changed. B&H has the Moto X Pure for $259 now, $20 less than it was before. I may be biased because I have a Moto X Pure, but it's a very good deal.

This link is for the table: http://oi64.tinypic.com/ngcar.jpg. They don't let me upload a high-resolution image.
    Name:  uqcpsmall.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  113.9 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    Note that some other models do support both CDMA and GSM but Verizon and Sprint won't let you directly activate them.
    What do you mean that they "won't let you directly activate them"?

And how do you get them to indirectly activate them (the phones you're referring to) on Verizon or Sprint?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    I don't know about the others.
    Any iPhone bought from Best Buy can be GSM unlocked just by turning it on with a VZW post pay SIM the FIRST time. The SIM does NOT have to active. If you don't have a VZW post pay SIM then just take the phone to a VZW store and use 1 of theirs. More info the my previous post
    Are you sure that is unlocked for domestic GSM?
    Yes, don't know about throttle

Feedback Score
    Updated. Added the Moto G5 Plus. Added in the UMTS band support. Some pricing has changed. B&H has the Moto X Pure for $259 now, $20 less than it was before. I may be biased because I have a Moto X Pure, but it's a very good deal.

This link is for the table: http://oi64.tinypic.com/ngcar.jpg. They don't let me upload a high-resolution image.
    Just to let everyone know, I have an iPhone SE that I purchased directly from Sprint to use on Sprint service when I was using Sprint, that I requested to be unlocked through Sprint (is now unlocked) and now I am using the iPhone SE with T-Mobile service. No problems whatsoever with it. I also purchased an unlocked iPhone 6 directly from Apple that I also used with Sprint service and now I am using it on T-Mobile as well. No issues either with it.

Feedback Score

I see that the moto g4 plus xt 1644 does not list band 17 in the photo provided here, but on gsm arena, http://m.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g4_plus-8050.php#, it lists for the xt1644 that band 17 is included.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNO!!! View Post
    I see that the moto g4 plus xt 1644 does not list band 17 in the photo provided here, but on gsm arena, http://m.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g4_plus-8050.php#, it lists for the xt1644 that band 17 is included.
    Odd. At https://www.frequencycheck.com/model...te-64gb-xt1644 it does not show band 17. Yet the FCC report does show band 17.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Odd. At https://www.frequencycheck.com/model...te-64gb-xt1644 it does not show band 17. Yet the FCC report does show band 17.
    Band 17 is 700 Mhz B and C; Band 12 is similar but covers 700 Mhz A, B, and C blocks. AT&T started supporting Band 12 in areas it previously only supported Band 17 -- which may be why the phone no longer lists Band 17 (and possibly dropped support for it). Band 17 was basically created for AT&T, which wanted to use 700 Mhz but, because TV stations were still using the A Block of 700 Mhz, didn't want the phone scanning the A Block in case it might interfere with phone performance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    Band 17 is 700 Mhz B and C; Band 12 is similar but covers 700 Mhz A, B, and C blocks. AT&T started supporting Band 12 in areas it previously only supported Band 17 -- which may be why the phone no longer lists Band 17 (and possibly dropped support for it). Band 17 was basically created for AT&T, which wanted to use 700 Mhz but, because TV stations were still using the A Block of 700 Mhz, didn't want the phone scanning the A Block in case it might interfere with phone performance.
    So ATT uses band 12 which is including what band 17 is and more?
    So if ATT uses band 12 now, which blocks of B12 does it use?

And so now we juat need to look for B12 for ATT and not freak out that a phone does not include B12?
    But what if the phone supports B17 and not B12, will there be service, will there be any difference, will there be any performance changes?

Feedback Score
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-all-LTE-bands

This is another thread that dealt with this issue.
    Seems like a popular topic.

I just wonder, what is everyone's desire with a universally interchangeable phone? Let the talks commence!

Feedback Score
    I am interested in the g4 play the unlocked the xt1607.

Not the xt1609, the verison.

But only the xt1607, the unlocked version.

Where is the cheapest that I can get it?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, Nexus 6, iPad Air
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I think the table is missing the Motorola Nexus 6 (XT1103).
    I'll try the first of anything, but I won't depend on it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by josephf View Post
    What do you mean that they "won't let you directly activate them"?

And how do you get them to indirectly activate them (the phones you're referring to) on Verizon or Sprint?
    He means that you can't just buy a Sprint/Verizon BYOP sim and activate it yourself. You'll need to go to a Sprint/Verizon store and have them activate it for you.

Some users are reporting having trouble getting the G5 Plus activated on Sprint. It was a similar story with the G4/Plus and Verizon early on.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast