Thread: So I Was Right About Android Wear...

Carrier(s)
    Just switched to Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Post So I Was Right About Android Wear...

Name:  movado-connect.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  45.2 KB

A bold proclamation that I made at the start of 2017 is still holding up almost three months later; traditional watchmakers are announcing more and more of the best-looking smartwatches, putting similar efforts by the likes of Huawei and LG to shame. Yes, I'm deliberately conflating "best-looking" with "best" here—if you're fretting about how much RAM your smartwatch has, you're doing it wrong.

Look instead to the new Android Wear models announced at the Baselworld trade show in Switzerland this past week. Movado, Diesel, Montblanc... all great-looking watches with first-party customizable faces and—surprise!—the added utility of notifications on your wrist. It's as much jewellery as it is tech, and that's not at all a bad thing.

It might not be enough to win back folks who've given up on wearing a wristwatch altogether, nor entice those who've never worn one in the first place. On the other hand (pun intended), not every watch-wearer cares about monitoring their heart rate or even tracking their steps—there are plenty of Fitbits for that. For the serious watch fan in the market for a good-looking timepiece with notification support, 2017 looks to be a very good year. Just do yourself a favour and set the fashion bar a little higher than your local Best Buy.

Source: XDA
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    LG G6 followed by a Samsung S7 Edge as a backup.
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yep, they can thank makers like Fossil and Tag Heuer for paving the way there. But Android Wear won't go full on mainstream worldwide till the Chinese get their game on and start making some...maybe this year or next for sure.

Feedback Score
    I understand why watchmakers are giving it a try, but I think luxury smartwatches are gonna be a very small niche. Regular analog watches never become obsolete. They may become unfashionable, but they are still capable of fulfilling their intended purpose. Smartwatches, no matter how beautiful, have built in technology, and technology becomes obsolete. Even fashionistas will have a hard time justifying $2000+ for something that will be obsolete in a couple of years.

Device(s)
    Samsung Rant (M540)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Like a used car salesman. You have to know what you are looking for. Dollars to pesos that most of the new fashioninsta smart watches have flat tires, no NFC or speakers. At this point in the game, this two things are a must. Yes, LG did drop the ball with their Style.